2024 - MLB Draft Thread

DirtySox

30 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

What are the concerns with Burns? Dude looks electric. Effort? Command? Reliever risk?

Maxxxxxxx effort delivery.  Huge reliever risk for me.  I have no idea how he is going to be able to throw 100 pitches over 6-7 innings every 5 days for 30+ starts a year.  We'll see how he looks as the season progresses.  Maybe he's a freak.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I like that dude.  He does a lot of good things on the baseball field and as they say, that's how they look.  Power, speed, defense, arm.  He can affect the game in different ways which is what you want from a top pick. He has swing and miss but hopefully an approach adjustment can help that.  

Every year in college, Honeycutt has cut down on his strikeouts and increased his walks and on base percentage.

That bodes well. The narrative about him striking out a lot is overblown. 

Edited by Boopa1219

Honeycutt coming on would be huge for this draft whether the Sox draft him or not. So few guys profile as up the middle plus athletes that he could zoom to 1-1. I am still wary of his hit tool, but it is nice to see him off to a good start.

19 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I like that dude.  He does a lot of good things on the baseball field and as they say, that's how they look.  Power, speed, defense, arm.  He can affect the game in different ways which is what you want from a top pick. He has swing and miss but hopefully an approach adjustment can help that.  

I liked his profile I read. Great D, good power, good speed.  

12 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Maybe we can use that extra million we got to try and overslot him.. I am wanting him so bad hahahah

He won’t be getting overslot. Hes awesome but Mississippi high school baseball is atrocious 

• Like 1

Someone’s pre draft model had the Sox taking Hagen Smith at 1-5. I can see why they would think so. There’s some Crochet vibe to him. Of course, if he keeps striking everyone out, maybe he won’t be there. As I have said, I would not pop pitching that early, but I think Getz may disagree.