White Sox at Royals, 5/11/23

Balta1701

20 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Everyone??  Huh

This is where shitty Chicago media comes in to play.  We as fans only know what we read in the media and they all loved him.  We needed a Cowley article that did some real work on it.  Not just....well George Brett liked. 

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

I can’t say this enough - injuries are up League wide already this season by quite a bit over last year. The White Sox are comparatively quite healthy. They have all 5 starters healthy, teams like the Braves, Astros, Rays have lost multiple starting pitchers. They are missing a 3b, a  couple DHs, and a closer, and maybe a mid 30s catcher today. This is not a banged up team, this is one of the healthier teams in baseball. If your team needs to be healthier than this, they have to be the healthiest team in the league.

It doesn't matter if the Sox have less players injured on the IL compared to other ML teams. The problem is the Sox don't have quality depth on their roster. When the good teams like the Dodgers, Rays, Braves have injuries, they have a deeper bench than the Sox to survive until their players get back.

Furthermore the Sox have one the worst minor league systems. Good teams like the Dodgers and Rays have strong farm systems and they can bring up good players, which obviously the Sox cannot do.

I don't care how many Sox players come back in the future. This is not a good team, nor a team that can contend for a World Series championship now or in the future with this assembled roster. Nor is this team a WS contender we were promised and sold on. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

It doesn't matter if the Sox have less players injured on the IL compared to other ML teams. The problem is the Sox don't have quality depth on their roster. When the good teams like the Dodgers, Rays, Braves have injuries, they have a deeper bench than the Sox to survive until their players get back.

Furthermore the Sox have one the worst minor league systems. Good teams like the Dodgers and Rays have strong farm systems and they can bring up good players, which obviously the Sox cannot do.

I don't care how many Sox players come back in the future. This is not a good team, nor a team that can contend for a World Series championship now or in the future with this assembled roster. Nor is this team a WS contender we were promised and sold on. 

Can't argue with anything you have posted here.

I would love to see some real investigative journalism with former players and coaches. Along the same lines as what @Lip Man 1produced, but talking to people who were on the field or helping game plan and scout. Especially those who went elsewhere and learned how other organizations work.

I assume it would be very tough as I'm guessing it's a very insular and protective club, but hearing how backwards this organization really is would be fascinating.

3 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Everyone??  Huh

Pedro talked a good game. The problem is they didn't hire a manager that said you have some issues here, and you need to make changes. He told them what they wanted to hear. This team is stacked. A couple of coaching tweaks, a refreshed attitude, some luck with health, and there will be  a parade where  JR and RH can get on stage and tell the fans how dumb they are, and how smart the White Sox are.

The bottom line is, if RH and KW think they are good at their jobs, they need to show Pedro the door. If Pedro and his staff aren't the problem, RH and KW need to walk out the door. It's one or the other or most likely, both.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4

26 minutes ago, almagest said:

I would love to see some real investigative journalism with former players and coaches. Along the same lines as what @Lip Man 1produced, but talking to people who were on the field or helping game plan and scout. Especially those who went elsewhere and learned how other organizations work.

I assume it would be very tough as I'm guessing it's a very insular and protective club, but hearing how backwards this organization really is would be fascinating.

One thing I was told yesterday and may be of some interest is that one of the reasons Dale Torborg was let go as part of the strength and conditioning area was because he did not get along with Chris Getz.

When I asked why I was told because when Getz was a minor league player Torborg was on him a lot because he was "lazy." Was told Getz didn't work hard, thought he was a big deal coming out of Michigan. Torborg (again from what I was told) told others that when Getz was named Director of the Minor Leagues, he knew his days were numbered. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, almagest said:

You'll never get it, if you do, it will be 20 years from now when nobody involved really has a financial interest anymore. The league is so small and incestuous that nobody working in the FO (or players for that matter) is going to step out of line and make a stink.

It's possible you could have a guy like Jim Margulus do some muckracking but once again I don't think he's going to bite the hand that feeds him that hard either. We're pretty much just fucked until JR dies, and even then who knows if Michael (if he keeps the team) will be any better.

3 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

You'll never get it, if you do, it will be 20 years from now when nobody involved really has a financial interest anymore. The league is so small and incestuous that nobody working in the FO (or players for that matter) is going to step out of line and make a stink.

It's possible you could have a guy like Jim Margulus do some muckracking but once again I don't think he's going to bite the hand that feeds him that hard either. We're pretty much just fucked until JR dies, and even then who knows if Michael (if he keeps the team) will be any better.

Yeah, I know. This is a pipe dream.

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

One thing I was told yesterday and may be of some interest is that one of the reasons Dale Torborg was let go as part of the strength and conditioning area was because he did not get along with Chris Getz.

When I asked why I was told because when Getz was a minor league player Torborg was on him a lot because he was "lazy." Was told Getz didn't work hard, thought he was a big deal coming out of Michigan. Torborg (again from what I was told) told others that when Getz was named Director of the Minor Leagues, he knew his days were numbered. 

Don't want to read into this too much, but it doesn't surprise me at all.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Mike_Gellinger

This guy arguably had the most experience in the entire system across a number of unique roles.

Pretty sure he had major health issues in 2012 and then again recently…but I would definitely take him over Getz in any capacity.

Seems he’s now with ACL White Sox…

Arizona Complex League White Sox

Manager: Danny González

Bench coach/hitting coach: Mike Gellinger

Edited by caulfield12

• Capn12 unpinned this topic