Jerry Move The Team or Sell

Texsox

Since you don't seem interested in selling, pack your bags and get a deal in Charlotte. Maybe folks there will engage enough to keep a beat writer. But Chicagoans are tired of your horrible mismanagement. Maybe in a couple years a real team will move in on the Southside or share a new stadium with the Bears in Arlington Heights. 

You've worn out your welcome. Your threat to move got you a new stadium, this time go. Just when we think this is the low point something comes along to realize it will just keep getting worst. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Since you don't seem interested in selling, pack your bags and get a deal in Charlotte. Maybe folks there will engage enough to keep a beat writer. But Chicagoans are tired of your horrible mismanagement. Maybe in a couple years a real team will move in on the Southside or share a new stadium with the Bears in Arlington Heights. 

You've worn out your welcome. Your threat to move got you a new stadium, this time go. Just when we think this is the low point something comes along to realize it will just keep getting worst. 

I agree the team needs to be sold, but I do not want it to leave Chicago. 

The team belongs to the loyal Chicago fans. It's bad enough JR screwed these loyal fans for so many years, but he doesn't get to double down and take this team to another city.

I would rather wait until the POS loser dies. and get my new owner via the sale of the team. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Yikes.

• Like 1

As disturbing as a thread wishing death on another human being is, it should also be pointed out that he only has a minority interest in the team. His passing may not cause a sale. It could be that a new managing parter is selected, one of his buddies who has agreed with his methods over the years and will continue in his tradition.  I haven't heard much about dissent among the various owners over the years. They may be all on the same page.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

Seriously, what the f*** is this nonsense?  Are you seriously blaming fans for the state of this sorry org?  GTFO. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

Just because the rebuild is an abject failure, this thread is wishing the same hurt upon generations of Sox fans that Oakland fans are currently going through.

I don't even live in Illinois anymore and it would fucking sting. Comiskey Park/US Cellular/Guaranteed Rate is my home away from home, especially because my parents no longer live at home.

As I've grown older, the Sox hold less grip on my day-to-day mood when they're bad. Yeah, I immediately turn off the game when they lose. But I'm so fucking excited when they win. When Jake Burger overcomes his injuries. When Giolito reinvents himself for the umpteenth time. Hendriks beats fucking cancer.

So what if they're bad and historically they aren't great? They're our team. Not Jerry's team. Not Kenny or Rick's team. Because they aren't eternal forces. If they were, we should hate Hawk for setting the team back during a short, disastrous tenure as GM. 

And Jerry hasn't threatened to move in damn near 30 years, so to wish for him to Major League the fanbase is cruel. 

If it hurts you this much to watch, tune out for a bit. Don't watch every game. The team will still be here and hope will eventually spring eternal once again. It obviously has for the Mariners fan base, who had to watch Griffey, Ichiro, A-Rod, Felix, and Randy all go through their stadium with nothing to show for it.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 2

29 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Seriously, what the f*** is this nonsense?  Are you seriously blaming fans for the state of this sorry org?  GTFO. 

No. I'm blaming the organization for being so horrible, over multiple lifetimes, that fans don't care anymore. Outside of Chicago who the f*** would care about this piece of s%*# franchise? But maybe in a new town he can fool fans in a new city for a few decades. 

The fans will come back when Jerry finally sells. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ThirdGen said:

As disturbing as a thread wishing death on another human being is, it should also be pointed out that he only has a minority interest in the team. His passing may not cause a sale. It could be that a new managing parter is selected, one of his buddies who has agreed with his methods over the years and will continue in his tradition.  I haven't heard much about dissent among the various owners over the years. They may be all on the same page.

It is in his contract that JR has the power to sell or not sell regardless of what the minority owners want. Literally they have no say in the matter, none. It is completely up to him if he wants to sell or to whom he'd want to sell the club.

When JR leaves the scene he has already publicly said, and he's been consistent about it in those rare times it has come up, that his wish is for his family to keep the Bulls and sell the White Sox. 

The current minority owners who are all about the same age as JR do not have the capital to buy the team which is why many are speculating the next owner will be a corporation. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

It is in his contract that JR has the power to sell or not sell regardless of what the minority owners want. Literally they have no say in the matter, none. It is completely up to him if he wants to sell or to whom he'd want to sell the club.

When JR leaves the scene he has already publicly said, and he's been consistent about it in those rare times it has come up, that his wish is for his family to keep the Bulls and sell the White Sox. 

The current minority owners who are all about the same age as JR do not have the capital to buy the team which is why many are speculating the next owner will be a corporation. 

He currently has the power to sell or not sell, absolutely, but if he passes that power obviously ceases to exist. And he probably won't sell for tax reasons. His son has shown great interest in baseball, he builds stadiums and has had ownership and control of a minor league team. And now executive experience in the NBA. No reason to believe he is beholden to a comment his father made.  If he inherits his father's stock, as Pete Townshend famously wrote, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

No one would move the team out of the 3rd biggest market.

The only solution is him selling the team or dying

To play devil’s advocate, I think you may be wishing and hoping more than is reality.

Yes, the Sox play in the third largest market but it is a shared market, lest you forget about the team in the north. And what is the Sox market share in Chicago now? What happens to that market share if the team starts to tank? You can’t just be idly blind that some investor group from Charlotte, Nashville, or elsewhere could put together the best bid for the team. Maybe if the Bears open a multi-use stadium, MLB might be interested.

This team has almost moved twice in my lifetime, 1975 and 1988. Demographics have not improved much over the years. No Veeck or state legislature to help out this time if Jerry just wants to cash out. It is definitely a possibility.

Just now, ThirdGen said:

He currently has the power to sell or not sell, absolutely, but if he passes that power obviously ceases to exist. And he probably won't sell for tax reasons. His son has shown great interest in baseball, he builds stadiums and has had ownership and control of a minor league team. And now executive experience in the NBA. No reason to believe he is beholden to a comment his father made.  If he inherits his father's stock, as Pete Townshend famously wrote, "meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

It doesn't pass if it is written into his will. I have no idea if this is the case or not but I'm inclined to think it is given how strongly and repeatedly he has stated his intentions for the future.

And yes, he will not sell while he is alive (barring completely unexpected events) because of the tax hit.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2022/8/29/23325369/jerry-reinsdorf-selling-chicago-white-sox-not-on-his-life

Regarding Michael, anything is possible but I have never heard anyone tell me that he has expressed any interest in refuting his dad's wishes and taking control of the club. His dad has made it clear, sell the Sox because in his words "they don't make money." (Where the Bulls do).

The Sox of course, DO make money, a lot of it but that is JR's take. 

2 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

To play devil’s advocate, I think you may be wishing and hoping more than is reality.

Yes, the Sox play in the third largest market but it is a shared market, lest you forget about the team in the north. And what is the Sox market share in Chicago now? What happens to that market share if the team starts to tank? You can’t just be idly blind that some investor group from Charlotte, Nashville, or elsewhere could put together the best bid for the team. Maybe if the Bears open a multi-use stadium, MLB might be interested.

This team has almost moved twice in my lifetime, 1975 and 1988. Demographics have not improved much over the years. No Veeck or state legislature to help out this time if Jerry just wants to cash out. It is definitely a possibility.

Anything is possible but I suspect the chances of the Sox being moved are small, very small. To much money at stake in the 3rd biggest market (shared or not) in the U.S. Far to many lucrative advertising, broadcasting  and sponsorship opportunities here. You aren't going to get the same value say in Portland, Salt Lake City, Charlotte or Montreal. 

3 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Anything is possible but I suspect the chances of the Sox being moved are small, very small. To much money at stake in the 3rd biggest market (shared or not) in the U.S. Far to many lucrative advertising, broadcasting  and sponsorship opportunities here. You aren't going to get the same value say in Portland, Salt Lake City, Charlotte or Montreal. 

I don’t necessarily disagree but I just don’t solely rely on it saving the Sox. I also think MLB would be interested in a new market without pulling out of one. I just don’t see them blocking a sell to an investor group from one of those cities. And Jerry? If he sells, you know he will take the best bid.

12 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

True. But as many posters point out, a great owner doesn't care about the money, they just want to win championships. 

5 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

I don’t necessarily disagree but I just don’t solely rely on it saving the Sox. I also think MLB would be interested in a new market without pulling out of one. I just don’t see them blocking a sell to an investor group from one of those cities. And Jerry? If he sells, you know he will take the best bid.

You probably don't need to worry about Jerry selling based on the story I wrote last August. Link is in a post above. The tax hit is significant around 200 million dollars. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

You probably don't need to worry about Jerry selling based on the story I wrote last August. Link is in a post above. The tax hit is significant around 200 million dollars. 

The tax hit is significant because the profits are even more significant. No one ever went broke paying taxes on profits. 

• Like 1