GQ: Tim Anderson Is Tired of Being the Most Misunderstood Man in Baseball

caulfield12

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I think TA is a rare player who is extremely susceptible to good and bad stretches based on how his life is going. We saw it in 2018 when he struggled mightily for a whole season after the death of his friend, and we are seeing it now with his off the field problems this year. 

I don’t think there’s anyone alive who thought Tim at his very best was some sort of sustainable clip, but I also don’t think Tim at his worst is what he is either.

I would be very surprised if he doesn’t have another good stretch in him like what he did from 2019-2021.

Hopefully he has it with another organization. He needs to go. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

That was the title of the article. The standard formatting for referencing article title is quotation marks. Not everything is a microaggression, holmes

Well yeah...implicitly it was the author's suggestion or interpretation of Tim's place. 

The problem is that article was written in such a vacuum...it was as if he was still one of the best players in baseball and the last twelve months didn't even exist. 

Or that Tim will only give in depth interviews to national publications about cultural and racial issues but nothing to do with how he's playing that sport that made him famous. 

The fact he's trying to act like Tatis stole his act with bat flips... when Fernando's the one most honest and true to himself as a player, still having fun by embracing the role of a villain or anti hero.  The worst thing is a player not even being entertaining to watch anymore. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

That was the title of the article. The standard formatting for referencing article title is quotation marks. Not everything is a microaggression, holmes

Lol it's an internet message board. I think people are focused more on reacting to an inaccurate or out of context quote than the standard formatting for an article title.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Lol it's an internet message board. I think people are focused more on reacting to an inaccurate or out of context quote than the standard formatting for an article title.

That was my point. It’s not inaccurate to put quotations around an article title. To the contrary, it is the standard.

5 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

That was my point. It’s not inaccurate to put quotations around an article title. To the contrary, it is the standard.

And I'm saying that people on a internet message board generally aren't thinking about journalism standards when they see something in quotes that's not capitalized, they think it's an actual quote.

See how miserable and boring this team is? It's got us arguing about quotation marks.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

"Standard formatting"

I write headlines as part of my day job. Quotes are when you're attributing to someone, homie.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Quin said:

"Standard formatting"

I write headlines as part of my day job. Quotes are when you're attributing to someone, homie.

Yeah you don’t use quotes for your own headline, but if it is someone else’s headline that you are citing, then it goes in quotes. That IS an attribution. How’s this even debatable. This is middle school stuff

Edited by FourEyesShottenhoffer

24 minutes ago, Snopek said:

And I'm saying that people on a internet message board generally aren't thinking about journalism standards when they see something in quotes that's not capitalized, they think it's an actual quote.

See how miserable and boring this team is? It's got us arguing about quotation marks.

It is an actual quote. He quoted the headline of the article. Otherwise he is using someone else’s verbiage as his own

5 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Yeah you don’t use quotes for your own headline, but if it is someone else’s headline that you are citing, then it goes in quotes. That IS an attribution. How’s this even debatable. This is middle school stuff

My god I pity your middle school teachers.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

It is an actual quote. He quoted the headline of the article. Otherwise he is using someone else’s verbiage as his own

Just for kicks, I scrolled through 5 pages of this board and all direct quotes were attributed to who said them, be they reporters, players or managers.

Anytime a site was referred (mainly MLB.com power rankings), that's who was attributed.

So, keeping going off, but it's a losing battle.

Just now, Quin said:

Just for kicks, I scrolled through 5 pages of this board and all direct quotes were attributed to who said them, be they reporters, players or managers.

Anytime a site was referred (mainly MLB.com power rankings), that's who was attributed.

So, keeping going off, but it's a losing battle.

So what? I don’t expect people on a message board to necessarily use proper grammar, but in the case where they do, I also wouldn’t expect them to be trolled by a mod who doesn’t know what he’s talking about either

1 minute ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

So what? I don’t expect people on a message board to necessarily use proper grammar, but in the case where they do, I also wouldn’t expect them to be trolled by a mod who doesn’t know what he’s talking about either

If this is trolling, your skin is thinner than your argument.

47 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

Lmao ok, if you say so pal. Not sure why you have such a hard time admitting when you’re  clearly wrong, but whatever

It's likely an editor just threw it out there to generate more clicks. 

Guess we would have to contact the author to get to the bottom of this... but clearly Anderson didn't say it, and neither did Josh Donaldson. 

28 minutes ago, FourEyesShottenhoffer said:

I’ll do that right after you admit you’re wrong and apologize to caulfield for casting him as a liar

I don't even have a side here. 

It's definitely not to the benefit of the Chicago White Sox on or off the field if Tim Anderson really believes that he's that misunderstood. 

He clearly had no problems two years ago when he was on top of the world and was clearly one of the two team leaders and getting video game covers and Dairy Queen "Middle America" or mainstream acceptance, basically the equivalent of Wonder Bread or Hostess labeling him their spokeperson..along with Jose Abreu, at least along the position players. 

Between Giolito, Kelly, Graveman, Middleton and TA... we might have the equivalent of ONE Eaton/Q/Sale trade in terms of talent unless they were to deal Cease too. 

Since it's recent Hahn, though, expecting more Frazier/Kahnle/Robertson to NYY instead. 

Edited by caulfield12

And to be accurate, it's not GQ as an entity or editorial comment on sports, it's one feature writer who doesn't seem to be remotely close to Fegan in Sox knowledge...that someone is dredging up cultural and racial issues because they sell. 

If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't have been one thousand articles dissecting Angel Reese and Caitlyn Clark. 

• Like 1

Remember when Tim was mad that Benintendi got paid?

Nevermind it was literally the first big contract Jerry has doled out throughout Tim's entire career.  

Nevermind T/A had two years remaining on his last extension.

How did he get a pass on talking about another veteran player's money like that?  

Good thing the media didn't "understand" him in that interview. 

1 hour ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Make it fourth, I bet Madrigal can play a better SS than TA, 5th if you factor in Elvis's past time at SS.

He's delusional.

MLB shortstop errors for 2023. TA tied for 9th:

1 Kiké Hernández Bos 14
2 J.P. Crawford Sea 11
3 Javier Báez Det 10
4t Bo Bichette Tor 8
4t Amed Rosario Cle 8
6t Jorge Mateo Bal 7
6t Anthony Volpe NYY 7
6t Bobby Witt Jr. KC 7
9t Tim Anderson CWS 6
9t Wander Franco TB 6