Predict the lineup: August 1 at Texas

CentralChamps21

2 hours ago, Timmy U said:

They've got to gut that toxic clubhouse

Would involve getting rid of the nuclear lab spewing the toxic waste (Rick Hahn), which ain't happening because JR is a big, fat, [rich], dope

• Fire 1

At this point you’re selling TA at his all time lowest value. Hard to see any team giving up anything significant while he’s having a horrific season. I’d rather roll the dice next year and see if he improves rather than trade him just for the sake of trading him 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

At this point you’re selling TA at his all time lowest value. Hard to see any team giving up anything significant while he’s having a horrific season. I’d rather roll the dice next year and see if he improves rather than trade him just for the sake of trading him 

Yeah if you’re trading him now, it’s because you believe he’s a problem in the clubhouse and/or you don’t have faith in him turning it around.

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I think the $14 million on Anderson next year to see if maybe he can be worth something minor at the trade deadline isn't a particularly good investment. 

3 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Yes this is his worst year ever, but it doesn't mean he doesn't have strong value still. You need to remember the previous 4 years of BA for TA were: 2019 - .335, 2020 - .322. 2021 - .309 and .301 in '2022. There have been many all-star players in MLB history who have had great careers, but one particular year they just happen to have a bad year. There are teams like the Rays and Dodgers who are very talented in developing prospects or turning around veterans. They will assume they can give TA a new positive team culture and environment and tweak a few of his flawed mechanics. 

However if you roll the dice and he sucks again next year, then for sure no team will want him in 2024. Two straight bad years means a much deeper problem teams that are even good at changing players, may not want to participate in.

Btw, teams absolutely trade players away if they are a cancer to the team...even if they get less back. 

I doubt there is much turn over on the position player side.  Perhaps an Elvis DFA or giving him away, and maybe someone grabs Grandal for a couple million bucks.  Otherwise, I doubt the lineup looks much different than now.

The pitching staff should look a lot different, tho. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

He needs to be traded, even it the FO has to be creative and eat a partial amount of his salary or in a trade not be greedy and take a few low A prospects. 

Grandal is blocking catchers from a defensive standpoint. I don't care if Perez and Zavala can't hit, at least they can catch better than Grandal. Grandal was never a good defensive catcher, his only decent skill was he supposedly was good at was framing. However at this point in his career he sucks at everything.

As the one poster said, we need to clean out the cancerous culture on this team. 

I don't think Perez can catch better than Grandal tbh.  But I think you gotta try.  I have been as big of a Yaz guy as there is around here, but just no reason to continue to play him. 

The Sox absolutely need to target a blocked catcher in some of these trades. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I don’t think Anderson gets moved.  I think the Sox are stuck with him.

Someone would definitely take TA.  I don't think he gets moved though, nor do I think he should get moved.  Let him get his head right in the offseason, and then watch him bounce back in a big way in 24, and THEN trade him.  TA wants to get paid, which means TA is going to show up a reinvigorated man in 2024.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I don't think Perez can catch better than Grandal tbh.  But I think you gotta try.  I have been as big of a Yaz guy as there is around here, but just no reason to continue to play him. 

The Sox absolutely need to target a blocked catcher in some of these trades. 

You might be right with Perez, but I'm tired of playing Grandal knowing how much he is severely overpaid. I think Perez deserves a chance. However you are right and the Sox desperately need to find a strong defensive catcher somewhere.

Oh btw, didn't we have that with James McCann?

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

You might be right with Perez, but I'm tired of playing Grandal knowing how much he is severely overpaid. I think Perez deserves a chance. However you are right and the Sox desperately need to find a strong defensive catcher somewhere.

Oh btw, didn't we have that with James McCann?

It's catching so blah, not sure how well we do with that on data, but both Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus are big fans of Seby Zavala's defense this year. 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It's catching so blah, not sure how well we do with that on data, but both Fangraphs and Baseball Prospectus are big fans of Seby Zavala's defense this year. 

If you check any of my many posts when it comes to Seby debates in here, I have 100 percent always been a big fan of Seby and wanted him playing full time over Grandal. I could care less if his hitting is bad, as he is a superior defensive catcher to Grandal. I was referring to the fact we do need another good defensive catcher to add to Seby and be a hopefully could also be decent hitter. I realize Perez may be another Grandal. 

• Hawk 1

The Astros won the 2022 WS with the catcher position below .600 OPS.  If Zavala is excelling defensively, then I'd say catcher is behind for sure 2b, and RF and perhaps SS and 3B in positions of need.  Now the lack of minor league depth is another issue.

I think 2024 is a lost year and I don't really care if they have to carry an overpaid Lynn or Anderson; it's not like JR is going to carry 2024 savings over to 2025 and beyond.  They have to have someone in those positions. It's better than some lazy move like trading for Ivan Nova.
But in 2025, with Montgomery and Ramos ready (and it would be nice if Colas would perform) plus 3 or 4 pitchers (I can hope; the 2019 draftees will be in year 6) and with $60-$70 million to deploy, they may be able to make a move.

Edited by GreenSox

8 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

He can’t really catch much anyway. Might as well see Perez.

Most of us could catch better than Grandal. Any slob can crouch down with a glove and stop grounders. I did it for years. 

• Like 1

I think they should trade everyone off the 25 man and just bring all of us Soxtalk lifers on to play.

It would be entertaining. Boyer could bill it as a comedy club and we could pretty much single handedly ensure the first draft pick.

I like this play.