Merkin with bittersweet KW/RH memories

caulfield12

https://www.mlb.com/news/rick-hahn-ken-williams-final-moments-with-white-sox

that will undoubtedly come off a bit like Hahn and KW defending themselves again...think I might feel better reading this around five years from now because the annoyance and aggravation is too fresh still.

Notice it is more Hahn-centric, which makes sense since he has been the more visible and "present" leader the last decade in Chicago.

• Like 1

On 8/25/2023 at 4:20 PM, caulfield12 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/rick-hahn-ken-williams-final-moments-with-white-sox

that will undoubtedly come off a bit like Hahn and KW defending themselves again...think I might feel better reading this around five years from now because the annoyance and aggravation is too fresh still.

Notice it is more Hahn-centric, which makes sense since he has been the more visible and "present" leader the last decade in Chicago.

This article is about the moments leading up to their firings... Where are the bittersweet memories? Are the "bittersweet memories" Merkin's conversation with Hahn an hour before his firing or the 10 word text from KW? 

I was expecting a breakdown of the career of the two of them containing bittersweet memories of the good things they did, not a run down of the day they were fired.  There was not one bittersweet memory in there.  0/10 stars

47 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I was expecting a breakdown of the career of the two of them containing bittersweet memories of the good things they did, not a run down of the day they were fired.  There was not one bittersweet memory in there.  0/10 stars

What rating did you give Barbie & Oppenheimer?

Ashoka?

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Exactly how I felt. Somehow I wasn't surprised though. The only thing that surprised me is that there were only 3 name drops in the OP. 

• Haha 1

On 8/26/2023 at 7:22 PM, ron883 said:

This article is about the moments leading up to their firings... Where are the bittersweet memories? Are the "bittersweet memories" Merkin's conversation with Hahn an hour before his firing or the 10 word text from KW? 

Yeah, I'm really confused how this is "bittersweet memories."

This is like me trying to lose weight and then relaying to a friend how I ate a slice of cake yesterday.

• Haha 1

It doesn't give off the vibe that Hahn was "in the wrong place at the wrong time" kind of vibe...the victim of circumstances at least partially out of his control?

He clearly wants to praise Hahn a bit more but is holding back with the truth as he perceives it from behind the scenes.

Williams and Hahn are good men and good baseball men. They certainly will work again in this industry if that’s what they desire. Some of you will passionately disagree with me. That’s fine, but I know what I know after being around them for more than two decades.

What a joke. Separate your personal feelings from your professional obligations. He also was talking about how "dominant" the 2005 club was, when in hindsight it was an extremely lucky club that used 100 years worth of saved up pixie dust to win the WS. It was so extraordinary because it was one of the few times in the history of the franchise where they managed to not underachieve, in a year with really no expectations as well. Wow, good job!

The Sox have conditioned their fans to expect nothing, so simply not sucking is celebrated, I guess, and if you get lucky and go on a WS run with incredible pitching health and once a career performances from half your staff, you get a lifetime pass from losers like Merkin I guess.

2005 was 18 fucking years ago. We've had one division title and what, two playoff appearances? So we're 1/9 fielding a half way decent club, in a terrible division (that had unbalanced schedule the entire time) in the wildcard and now 2nd wildcard era. That's pathetic. There's nothing "bittersweet" about it, it's all bitter. 2005 might as well be 1985 imo.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Fire 1

43 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

What a joke. Separate your personal feelings from your professional obligations. He also was talking about how "dominant" the 2005 club was, when in hindsight it was an extremely lucky club that used 100 years worth of saved up pixie dust to win the WS. It was so extraordinary because it was one of the few times in the history of the franchise where they managed to not underachieve, in a year with really no expectations as well. Wow, good job!

The Sox have conditioned their fans to expect nothing, so simply not sucking is celebrated, I guess, and if you get lucky and go on a WS run with incredible pitching health and once a career performances from half your staff, you get a lifetime pass from losers like Merkin I guess.

2005 was 18 fucking years ago. We've had one division title and what, two playoff appearances? So we're 1/9 fielding a half way decent club, in a terrible division (that had unbalanced schedule the entire time) in the wildcard and now 2nd wildcard era. That's pathetic. There's nothing "bittersweet" about it, it's all bitter. 2005 might as well be 1985 imo.

In 1985 they won 85 games if I remember right. I'd take that right now. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Now the 3rd WC Era when you can have four teams from the same division and the Yankees as a "pitiable" (or maybe it's pitiful) last place team...

Or as of today perhaps more likely Mariners/Astros/Rangers or whatever.   Of course, all that leads to bitterness/resentment about the 2006 Sox team being pushed out by DET and Minny, but they were dead team walking the second half that year with all the injuries and pitching walls being hit by guys like Contreras, Garcia and Jenks.

And how can you forget 2008 already, lol?   Hahn's son calling the coin flip and finally (for once) beating the hated Twins in the playoff.   Of course, with Quentin out, that team almost had no chance at all going into Tampa that post-season.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Now the 3rd WC Era when you can have four teams from the same division as the Yankees as a last place team...

Or now more likely Mariners/Astros/Rangers or whatever.

How can you forget 2008 already, lol?   Hahn's son calling the coin flip and finally (for once) beating the hated Twins in the playoff.   Of course, with Quentin out, that team almost had no chance at all going into Tampa that post-season.

2008 was a great memory.
If I had requested PTO a half day sooner, I would have been at the Saturday game in Tampa. My friend had an extra ticket that he said was saved for me (for free) if I could get down there.

The only catch was that I was in Nagoya at the time. By the time my PTO was approved, the flights I was hoping for had shot up in price.

7 minutes ago, JoeC said:

2008 was a great memory.
If I had requested PTO a half day sooner, I would have been at the Saturday game in Tampa. My friend had an extra ticket that he said was saved for me (for free) if I could get down there.

The only catch was that I was in Nagoya at the time. By the time my PTO was approved, the flights I was hoping for had shot up in price.

Did you ever make it to the Ichiro Suzuki Museum in that area...?

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Did you ever make it to the Ichiro Suzuki Museum in that area...?

No, but it's on my list for one of these next times I head over there. (I haven't been back for work since COVID, but had been going to Nagoya 3~4 times a year for a decade or so)