Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

The claims are obvious…do you really think if Getz was getting top 25 prospects thrown at him that he would be sitting around and not moving Cease?

I have no clue what names have truly been discussed and neither do you.  Period.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Could we be overvaluaing Dylan Cease, sure 100% but the Sox hold all the cards here, it’s not like he is making $30 mil next year and are trying to dump salary, I guarantee you most if not all teams would happily slot in a dude for the next 2 years, making a measly $10 mil max, has made 30+ starts each of the last 3 seasons, with Cy Young potential for prospects. It’s about finding a deal that makes sense for Chris Getz, if it’s not out there then so be it, last thing he’s gonna do though is settle for a lackluster return (Cowser & Ortiz) 

You don’t hold all the cards because you have an expiring asset that you can’t afford to keep on a garbage team going nowhere.

The Orioles won’t include Mayo or Basallo in a Cease trade. They have to headline with one of Cowser/Kjerstad though with Norby/Ortiz as a 2nd piece. Then the rest could be a pitcher (Povich) and maybe like Max Wagner. If Orioles aren’t willing to do that, they likely aren’t getting Cease. If Sox realistically want more than that, I doubt anyone acquires him. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 1

Just now, Y2Jimmy0 said:

The Orioles won’t include Mayo or Basallo in a Cease trade. They have to headline with one of Cowser/Kjerstad though with Norby/Ortiz as a 2nd piece. Then the rest could be a pitcher (Povich) and maybe like Max Wagner. If Orioles aren’t willing to do that, they likely aren’t getting Cease. If Sox realistically want more than that, I doubt anyone acquires him. 

This is correct although I’m not convinced a third player has to be involved.

Edited by Sports Guy

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m assuming the elite guys will pan out.  Everything about their profiles says that is the case. 

And I’m good with teams doing that. Lots of teams do incredibly stupid things all the time. I’m not interested in my team doing moronic things.

And btw, you guys assume Cease is going to bounce back and be really good again..that’s a major assumption.

Us Sox fans have one of these can’t miss “elite -6 war type guys”... Yoan Moncada

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Zero Os fans have their top 5 guys as untouchable.

Cease was a frontline guy one year of his career. You seem to think his value should be that right now and that’s just not true. If you guys were looking to trade for Cease with all his red flags and issues, no one here would be advocating to trade top 25 prospects for him.

All of that said, the WS have generally showed more of a willingness to spend money than our POS owner has, so that always factors into things.

Roll Tide doesn’t?

10 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I assume you are referring to the first Soto trade from the Nationals to the Padres?  Soto only had 2 years of control at the time.  Robert has 4 years of control.  Big difference.

14 minutes ago, Nardiwashere said:

One year of Soto vs 4 years of Robert.  

It was 2.5 years of Soto. It is the best trade comp you’ll find given 2.5 is a lot of control for a star player and Soto was a much more consistently dominant player.

No team will ever trade a package like that for any one player. Ever.

1 minute ago, Nardiwashere said:

He has 2 years left. What are you talking about expiring?

Expiring in terms of value. Like I said, I do think his value could increase if he has a big first half and is dealt at the deadline but that’s a risk and if he doesn’t have a big first half, he’s worth even less.

So, the time to optimize his value is definitely expiring.

• TLR 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Burnes, Cease, Luzardo…

to a lesser extent younger unproven, high ceiling guys and Bieber although where he is in a rotation is definitely up for debate.

The latest rumor is that the Brewers will keep Burnes.

https://theathletic.com/5154981/2023/12/21/brewers-corbin-burnes-braves-trades-the-windup/?source=emp_shared_article

Even if the Brewers do trade Burnes, he is a free agent after 2024.  Good luck resigning him on the open market, Orioles.  No chance in hell.

Luzardo has 3 years of control left so if you are aghast at the prospect price Sox fans are discussing for Cease, good luck with Luzardo.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

The latest rumor is that the Brewers will keep Burnes.

https://theathletic.com/5154981/2023/12/21/brewers-corbin-burnes-braves-trades-the-windup/?source=emp_shared_article

Even if the Braves to trade Burnes, he is a free agent after 2024.  Good luck resigning him on the open market, Orioles.

Luzardo has 3 years of control left so if you are aghast at the prospect price Sox fans are discussing for Cease, good luck with Luzardo.

We don’t need Burnes beyond a year and even if he wanted to sign an extension, I wouldn’t give him one.

6 minutes ago, bmags said:

No team will ever trade a package like that for any one player. Ever.

That’s what I meant by saying he’s too expensive. No one is going to give you enough to make it worth it.  The package you get for Robert with 4 years left won’t be different from the package you get for him with 2 years left.

Now… if he had like 8 years left, MAYBE we could do straight up for Basallo.

Edited by Nardiwashere

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We don’t need Burnes beyond a year and even if he wanted to sign an extension, I wouldn’t give him one.

Why not?  Because every young Orioles starter and/or pitching prospect will hit?  Good luck with that.  It’s just not realistic for any team.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I don’t understand why there isn’t more talk of a 3 way trade. Those are obviously fairly uncommon, but it doesn’t seem that difficult to include a third team that has pitching prospects. That way the Sox can get a nice blend of both pitching and hitting, the Orioles get Cease, and the third team gets whatever they are looking for.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I don’t understand why there isn’t more talk of a 3 way trade. Those are obviously fairly uncommon, but it doesn’t seem that difficult to include a third team that has pitching prospects. That way the Sox can get a nice blend of both pitching and hitting, the Orioles get Cease, and the third team gets whatever they are looking for.

If the Sox had another player worth a damn in a trade, like if Eloy was coming off of a big offensive season, I could see this being more likely.

Just now, WhiteSox2023 said:

If the Sox had another player worth a damn in a trade, like if Eloy was coming off of a big offensive season, I could see this being more likely.

I still think it is possible. The third team would likely need to have pitching prospects and need hitting. That way they can send a pitcher to the Sox and maybe the Orioles can send a hitter to them. Teams like the Mariners, Marlins, Giants might fit into this category.

23 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I think this is reasonable, because there is some redundancy in the players and prospects the Orioles have and the prospects they would be giving up for Cease.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

8 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

How many teams have too many pitching prospects? How many teams look at their pitching staffs and think “oh these two prospects are blocked that means they’re movable”?

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

And honestly about 95% of us here would be more than fine with that 3 person package and if that's the three any fourth piece is gravy. 

This is where it's going to end up, so BAL either should get on board or stop playing games.

Neither BAL, CIN, ATL, NYY or BOS is likely to end up with Snell or Montgomery so Elias trying to "wait us out" is a nonsensical strategy. 

Cease will be in high demand even after those signings so BAL isn't exactly our only dance partner. 

Elias needs to s%*# or get off the pot.

• Thanks 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic