MLB 2024 Draft Lottery - Sox pick #5

South Side Hit Men

• South Side Hit Men changed the title to MLB 2024 Draft Lottery 12/5/23 @ 4:30 PM CST - Broadcast via the MLB Channel and MLB.com
21 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Get the highest pick possible.  They need talent now. 

18 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Give me #7 or #1. No in-between, thanks.

I disagree with both of these. Top 3 would be fine with the huge bonus pool. 7,8,9 is better than 4-6 though. 

• Like 1

This draft doesn't suck.  That's extreme.  It's not as good as last year but historically it will be an average draft.  There's a good mix of college pitching and some intruiging college hitters.  The HS hitters are down a bit but there is great depth in HS pitchers.  They will get a very good player with the first pick and a bigger bonus pool will allow them to add some impact players later so long as the scouts are allowed to do their job which I'm assuming they will.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This draft doesn't suck.  That's extreme.  It's not as good as last year but historically it will be an average draft.  There's a good mix of college pitching and some intruiging college hitters.  The HS hitters are down a bit but there is great depth in HS pitchers.  They will get a very good player with the first pick and a bigger bonus pool will allow them to add some impact players later so long as the scouts are allowed to do their job which I'm assuming they will.  

Didn't you earlier allude to scouts not being able to do their job because of the existence of Dan Fabian? Even with Rick/Kenny gone? Or do you expect that to change?

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Didn't you earlier allude to scouts not being able to do their job because of the existence of Dan Fabian? Even with Rick/Kenny gone? Or do you expect that to change?

Because of Jeremy Haber.  For some reason he's still there but hopefully he doesn't wield as much power as he had when Hahn was gm.   

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

So is there a Bryce harper, Ken Griffey Junior, or Adley Ruschtman in this draft class? It would be so White Sox to finally get the number 1 pick and end up with a Mickey Moniak or Brady Aiken. 

There is not an established generational type talent in this draft class. Considered pretty thin at the top. Here's the BA summary of it at current state.

Wake Forest first baseman Nick Kurtz continues to top the list and rank as the best player in the class. But the 2024 group as a whole is significantly more muddled at the top. There is less consensus and perhaps more questions overall compared to a well above-average 2023 class.

College players dominate the top of the list, with pure hitters like Kurtz, West Virginia’s JJ Wetherholt and Oregon State’s Travis Bazzana, toolsy and athletic up-the-middle profiles including Northeastern’s Mike Sirota, North Carolina’s Vance Honeycutt and Wake Forest’s Seaver King and power-oriented profiles like Florida two-way sensation Jac Caglianone, Louisiana State slugger Tommy White and Texas A&M transfer Braden Montgomery.

There is plenty of stuff to be found in the pitching ranks, both on the high school and college fronts. But there are significant reliever questions and command concerns with many of the most talented college arms. The high school demographic failed to establish a clearcut pecking order with an obvious No. 1 arm—like Noble Meyer a year ago at this time—though the depth of the prep arms is solid.

Overall, it seems like a bit of a down class with a wide open draft board that should allow for any number of players to come out strong next spring and vault up the board or establish themselves in the top tier of the class.

Edited by DirtySox
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I'm not too keen on what the White Sox will draft after their first selection. They haven't drafted a guy in round 2  who put up a 2.0 career WAR for the White Sox in over 50 years.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I'm not too keen on what the White Sox will draft after their first selection. They haven't drafted a guy in round 2  who put up a 2.0 career WAR for the White Sox in over 50 years.

That's because the draft has been run by fucking idiots.  The scouts know the players better than Jeremy Haber's computer does.  Get the hell out of their way and let them do their job.  The results will show.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's because the draft has been run by fucking idiots.  The scouts know the players better than Jeremy Haber's computer does.  Get the hell out of their way and let them do their job.  The results will show.  

I hope things change, but 50 years is a few regimes. Hard to believe it will be fixed now.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I just don't love that the best players in the class play 1B and 2B. The college pitchers have lots of reliever risk. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I just don't love that the best players in the class play 1B and 2B. The college pitchers have lots of reliever risk. 

I'm not sure those guys will ultimately be the best players and outside of Burns and Cags who will likely end up a hitter I don't think any of the other top pitchers have significant reliever risk.  

• Quin changed the title to MLB 2024 Draft Lottery - Sox pick #5