Jerry visits Nashville mayor

Quin

14 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Garfien has a very interesting reason why JR met with the Nashville mayor. I didn't realize it involved Dave Stewart and (of course) Tony LaRussa. Recommend watching this:

The Tennessean has a really good story about Dave Stewart and the parallels with Oakland and Nashville situations...more from a socio-economic/cultural side.   Posted a link about 12 hours ago or so in this thread.

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This

Chuck rips what he is ordered to rip.

Ricky to usher in DUI Guy.

The players to have a scapegoat.

Steve Stone has the same marching orders. Ditto Ozzie and the others.

I find it hard to believe that Ozzie follows anybody's marching orders when it comes to giving his opinion. The same for Frank Thomas.

Edited by Lip Man 1
  • Like 2

Was this true? Did he really go visit the Nashville mayor? Maybe Jerry in his later years has decided he hates Chicago and indeed will move the team. Jerry fails to realize he could have been an icon in Chicago history if the team actually built on the momentum gained from winning it all in 05. Instead, the team has been awful.

9 hours ago, greg775 said:

Was this true? Did he really go visit the Nashville mayor? Maybe Jerry in his later years has decided he hates Chicago and indeed will move the team. Jerry fails to realize he could have been an icon in Chicago history if the team actually built on the momentum gained from winning it all in 05. Instead, the team has been awful.

That's been his twenty year plan. Hey let's stop winning, these parades give me a head ache.

12 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I find it hard to believe that Ozzie follows anybody's marching orders when it comes to giving his opinion. The same for Frank Thomas.

Ozzie undermined Renteria, Cairo and Grifol because he wanted their job.

Jerry is the core problem, and Ozzie will continue to kiss Jerry’s ass every single second until the checks stop. He will only criticize scapegoats Jerry wants / demands be criticized (primarily the players who Jerry has hated since the day he became owner).  

Ozzie would be gone faster than you can say the name Harry Caray or Jason Benetti if Ozzie said Jerry needs to hire good people and stay out of baseball decisions, which Jerry clearly is still not qualified to opine on despite being owner for 43 years. Ozzie knows this, has lived under Jerry as manager, but will never say it. Ditto Steve Stone,  battling the Florida guy for telling the truth about Jerry’s advice to him as a young executive “always finish second, offer a carrot to fans”.

This is interesting.

https://x.com/CHGO_WhiteSox/status/1734067800027639850?s=20

EDIT: I can never get the embedded to work anymore on desktop. Essentially, Bob Nightingale said Jerry had dinner with the mayor and it was on behalf of his friend Dave Stewart, who is in the ownership group seeking the expansion team in Nashville.

Edited by CWSpalehoseCWS

10 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

This is interesting.

https://x.com/CHGO_WhiteSox/status/1734067800027639850?s=20

EDIT: I can never get the embedded to work anymore on desktop. Essentially, Bob Nightingale said Jerry had dinner with the mayor and it was on behalf of his friend Dave Stewart, who is in the ownership group seeking the expansion team in Nashville.

On behalf of TLR on behalf of Dave Stewart, to be more precise...

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

On behalf of TLR on behalf of Dave Stewart, to be more precise...

Why won’t Nightingale list his source or is this just his way of helping his buddy Reinsdorf hide the bacon and to take the sizzle out of the story? Anyway, Garfien (hope I’m spelling his name right) said the same thing last thing but specifically added that this was only his opinion of what happened or why the meeting/meal too place.

2 hours ago, Lightly Folded said:

Why won’t Nightingale list his source or is this just his way of helping his buddy Reinsdorf hide the bacon and to take the sizzle out of the story? Anyway, Garfien (hope I’m spelling his name right) said the same thing last thing but specifically added that this was only his opinion of what happened or why the meeting/meal too place.

Both those guys are on the development committee for baseball in Nashville...but it certainly not sounds like more of a human interest/civic engagement story with Tony's role neutered. 

11 hours ago, Lightly Folded said:

Unless given permission by the individual source, reporters ethically are not supposed to be giving out source names.

And here is what Nightengale wrote:

Chicago White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf created a stir, and plenty of wild rumors, when he had dinner with the Nashville mayor Freddie O’Connell. 

But no, the White Sox are not moving to Nashville. 

Yes, Nashville remains a contender for expansion franchise with an ownership group led by Dave Stewart, who is a friend of Reinsdorf’s. 

• Thanks 1