Luis Robert right hip flexor injury

9 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Get Luis healthy and playing at a high level again and then TRADE him for the best package you can get.

I love Luis as a player but he will never be healthy.  Last year was an outlier.  

I think he could possibly stay healthy but I just don’t see the rest of the team being good enough, along with Robert, to ever win anything in the years Robert will be here.  So I agree with you.  Get him healthy, hope he tears it up for a long stretch, and deal him for some team’s top prospects.  But this deal better actually bring back top prospects, unlike the Cease trade.

29 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think he could possibly stay healthy but I just don’t see the rest of the team being good enough, along with Robert, to ever win anything in the years Robert will be here.  So I agree with you.  Get him healthy, hope he tears it up for a long stretch, and deal him for some team’s top prospects.  But this deal better actually bring back top prospects, unlike the Cease trade.

he's only here for 3 more years, so you would be correct, the Sox won't be good during his remaining years lol, but we knew this going into the 2023-2024 off season, but they kept his ass anyways

do people really think the Sox are gonna be a contender within the next 3 years?  

11 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

he's only here for 3 more years, so you would be correct, the Sox won't be good during his remaining years lol, but we knew this going into the 2023-2024 off season, but they kept his ass anyways

do people really think the Sox are gonna be a contender within the next 3 years?  

Yes. 

• Haha 2

Just now, WestEddy said:

Yes. 

Only if new ownership arrives there is a massive change over in the front office and millions and millions of dollars are spent on quality players will this happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Look it is easy to sit here and say TrAdE hIm, but the rest of baseball knows the injury history as well.  By the time he gets back he is going to have somewhere around 6-8 weeks of time to prove his health to MLB if they want to get a deal done. 

Then the question becomes what will the Sox settle for to get a deal done vs how far down a top prospect list will a team be willing to go to get him. Do the Sox take a lesser deal because of his health situation?

Would a San Diego be willing to put a Salas in front of a deal?  Would Texas be willing to push in at least one of their top OFs?  Would Baltimore be willing to dig deep on to the top of their list when they weren't a month ago?  Remember about half of the 10 top prospects belong to teams who aren't in a position to add a Robert, so that cuts out a lot of players.

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Only if new ownership arrives there is a massive change over in the front office and millions and millions of dollars are spent on quality players will this happen.

They're already on their way there. They just slapped together a ragtag pitching staff, and they've kept them in 10 of 11 games, so far. I think they already have a young core of Fletcher, Sosa, Colas and Lee who could at least start and be somewhere between replacement and average ML players. Add Monty, Quero, Ramos and Zavala to that, and you're already competing in this weak division. 

We seem to readily accept the unpredictability of baseball when thinking about the possibility that good Sox teams may end up not being successful. But we don't apply that logic when things are down. With at least a modest effort at competitiveness, you absolutely cannot rule out the Sox being in the playoff picture in the next 3 years. That might involve a not-actually-great team catching some lucky breaks and sneaking in, but that's baseball. Once you're in the playoffs, who knows what may happen.

I know we haven't been blessed with a lot of playoff appearances and trust in leadership is at an all-time low. But it's still baseball. Inept organizations regularly encounter modest success. The only way to ensure you avoid success is ship out everything that isn't nailed down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look it is easy to sit here and say TrAdE hIm, but the rest of baseball knows the injury history as well.  By the time he gets back he is going to have somewhere around 6-8 weeks of time to prove his health to MLB if they want to get a deal done. 

Then the question becomes what will the Sox settle for to get a deal done vs how far down a top prospect list will a team be willing to go to get him. Do the Sox take a lesser deal because of his health situation?

Would a San Diego be willing to put a Salas in front of a deal?  Would Texas be willing to push in at least one of their top OFs?  Would Baltimore be willing to dig deep on to the top of their list when they weren't a month ago?  Remember about half of the 10 top prospects belong to teams who aren't in a position to add a Robert, so that cuts out a lot of players.

Not sure who you're quoting as far as saying trade him now.  Trading him now isn't going to get you much.  3 months ago? probably a massive haul

3 hours ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

I'm going to ask the question: 

Did Getz f*** up by not trading Robert this winter? 

I know none of us wanted to trade him this winter at the prices that were being floated around, but now what are they getting? Anything at all? For all we know he might end up in a Moncada situation next year and his option isn't going to get picked up. 

LOLzzzzz  Your takes are something else. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WestEddy said:

They're already on their way there. They just slapped together a ragtag pitching staff, and they've kept them in 10 of 11 games, so far. I think they already have a young core of Fletcher, Sosa, Colas and Lee who could at least start and be somewhere between replacement and average ML players. Add Monty, Quero, Ramos and Zavala to that, and you're already competing in this weak division. 

Half of this pitching staff won't be here next year, and of the eight players you mentioned given the history of this organization at development it would be a major get if two of those guys hit it big in the major leagues.

Sorry, there's no way unless the things I mentioned happened, this team will be good in three years time...and you mention the bad division, if the "goal" is to win the crappy A.L. Central which the Sox should absolutely be dominating given their inherent advantages, I guess anything is possible.

But playing with the "big boys" in baseball?

You must be joking. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Half of this pitching staff won't be here next year, and of the eight players you mentioned given the history of this organization at development it would be a major get if two of those guys hit it big in the major leagues.

Sorry, there's no way unless the things I mentioned happened, this team will be good in three years time...and you mention the bad division, if the "goal" is to win the crappy A.L. Central which the Sox should absolutely be dominating given their inherent advantages, I guess anything is possible.

But playing with the "big boys" in baseball?

You must be joking. 

Of course I'm not joking.

3 years would be year 4 of a rebuild. Any team in any situation could turn things around in 5 years, and almost be there in 4. I'm guessing Chris Getz has more baseball smarts than Hahn did, and is not as impulsive as KW. I'm not saying he's the savior, or anything, but he's Michigan business school, too, right? So he's not a dummy. He might have some weird notions, or whatnot, but he starts out with a couple of tradable stars, a couple good prospects - he's already on his way. 

This is going on 4 years of this message board debating whether it's the players faults, trainers faults, coaches fault, whether guys are too muscular, etc. etc. etc.

I'm just ready to start with a whole new group of dudes.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

This is going on 4 years of this message board debating whether it's the players faults, trainers faults, coaches fault, whether guys are too muscular, etc. etc. etc.

I'm just ready to start with a whole new group of dudes.

Yep, pay Moncada and Eloy their buyouts, trade Robert in the offseason after he *hopefully* has a monster few months. Move on from the Hahn core.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yep, pay Moncada and Eloy their buyouts, trade Robert in the offseason after he *hopefully* has a monster few months. Move on from the Hahn core.

I'm so ready for this. 

I mean, Eloy, Robert and Yoan must be suicidal at this point. This is their lives. But if a bunch of knuckleheads on a chat board could come up with "work with a baseball trainer and do yoga" in an afternoon, why can't a guy whose multi-million dollar paydays depend on it come up with that? 

3 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I realize everything with you is Short Attention Span Theater but the verdict is a long way off on the Cease trade. It wouldnt have done the Sox any good to hold onto him into the season. Not only did they want his salary off the books they didnt want to chance him getting hurt.

If only they had found takers for Moncada, Eloy and Robert while he was healthy coming off his best season but nooo everyone thought he had finally found the magic and he was worth more than the Sox could ever get in return.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I realize everything with you is Short Attention Span Theater but the verdict is a long way off on the Cease trade. It wouldnt have done the Sox any good to hold onto him into the season. Not only did they want his salary off the books they didnt want to chance him getting hurt.

If only they had found takers for Moncada, Eloy and Robert while he was healthy coming off his best season but nooo everyone thought he had finally found the magic and he was worth more than the Sox could ever get in return.

I never said that the prospects from the Cease trade won’t amount to anything.  I meant that they weren’t top rated prospects (in the MLB).  Robert had better return some prospects in the top 25 in the MLB, not just the #79 (Thorpe).

Edited by WhiteSox2023

42 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The return for Cease will probably churn out triple the production of the return for Sale. 

That, and I think that's the model for trades, going forward, in the Getz era. If you're getting a top twenty prospect in the game, you're buying high on a guy you don't have to develop, rather than a guy who needs a little correction, and he's top 20 with a bullet. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WestEddy said:

I'm so ready for this. 

I mean, Eloy, Robert and Yoan must be suicidal at this point. This is their lives. But if a bunch of knuckleheads on a chat board could come up with "work with a baseball trainer and do yoga" in an afternoon, why can't a guy whose multi-million dollar paydays depend on it come up with that? 

They could all retire tomorrow and be financially set for the rest of their lives.

We should all have their issues. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

They could all retire tomorrow and be financially set for the rest of their lives.

We should all have their issues. 

C'mon, Mark. You know what I'm saying. This is what they've spent their entire lives preparing to do. Of course nobody's going to have to study for a real estate license this winter. 

50 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

The return for Cease will probably churn out triple the production of the return for Sale. 

That, and I think that's the model for trades, going forward, in the Getz era. If you're getting a top twenty prospect in the game, you're buying high on a guy you don't have to develop, rather than a guy who needs a little correction, and he's top 20 with a bullet. 

How did u get Whitesox2023 to agree with you? I'm stumped. You just said the likely return from the Cease trade will probably be 3 x better than the Sale trade which is pretty unlikely given the amount of WAR  Moncada and Kopech have already and in Kopech's case still may accumulate when he just said it was a light return while I said calling it light is premature until we see how it plays out which could be10 years from now.

Maybe it was your second paragraph .

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How did u get Whitesox2023 to agree with you? I'm stumped. You just said the likely return from the Cease trade will probably be 3 x better than the Sale trade which is pretty unlikely given the amount of WAR  Moncada and Kopech have already and in Kopech's case still may accumulate when he just said it was a light return while I said calling it light is premature until we see how it plays out which could be10 years from now.

Maybe it was your second paragraph .

I don't know. Maybe he's saying thank you for finally being civil. 

Moncada and Kopech might just clear 20 WAR. I may have jumped out too far on this one. One of them could bust out and give you 20 War in 6 years. Maybe between the other two and Wilson, if everything breaks right, you get another 20-25. 

On 4/10/2024 at 12:30 PM, WhiteSox2023 said:

I don't believe any deal will bring back top prospects. If a team has the next A-Rod sitting at AA, they're going to keep him. And on the odd chance you do get a team to let go, you're buying high. I'd rather see more deals like the Cease deal. Three solid prospects, any of which could top out as a monster, and then 4 years of a very good reliever.