4/22: Sox @ Twins - 640CT - Cannon v. Paddack

13 hours ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Was at a regular Sox bar on the south side Saturday night. They had the cubs game on all tvs with sox nowhere to be found. 

That's not a Sox bar then, you may have been South of Madison but North of 35th Street.

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

If the players aren't listening to this guy, it's time for a new guy. They are major leaguers, they are capable of throwing to the right base, holding runners on, doing rundowns correctly. 64-120 is all you need to know. i though 61-101 was the bottom, but 3-19 is an all time franchise worst start.  

You're not wrong. It's part of what needs to be done. Whomever they would hire tomorrow won't be a WS level manager. 

Who are you listening to to know where to throw, how to hold runners on, or do a rundown? Let's hire your guy. He can't be any worse. 

Again, I'm fine with firing him. Just like I was fine with firing Tony, Rick, Robin, Ozzie, Jerry, Terry, Gene, Jeff, and Jim and I'm probably forgetting one or two. 

Fire Gets, Hahn, and Williams.

It sells tickets, makes it look like the team is trying. 

But until they actually can draft and develop or attract free agents without a train load of problems it's all window dressing. I'm just too fed up with seeing bad players and being told it's the coaching. No, they are cheap, they have injuries, past their prime, not enough dependent, they basically suck. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

You're not wrong. It's part of what needs to be done. Whomever they would hire tomorrow won't be a WS level manager. 

Who are you listening to to know where to throw, how to hold runners on, or do a rundown? Let's hire your guy. He can't be any worse. 

Again, I'm fine with firing him. Just like I was fine with firing Tony, Rick, Robin, Ozzie, Jerry, Terry, Gene, Jeff, and Jim and I'm probably forgetting one or two. 

Fire Gets, Hahn, and Williams.

It sells tickets, makes it look like the team is trying. 

But until they actually can draft and develop or attract free agents without a train load of problems it's all window dressing. I'm just too fed up with seeing bad players and being told it's the coaching. No, they are cheap, they have injuries, past their prime, not enough dependent, they basically suck. 

I have already told you I also think this team would be bad with anyone managing, but it's obvious Pedro is not the guy. Why continue with his BS? Bring in someone new, see what they can do. if they are just as bad as Pedro, fire them. They need to eventually have someone in place who will be good when they are capable of being good. I'm not blaming it all on Pedro, but he has got to get some of the blame. He's awful. I thought he would be great. All talk, now he can't even speak without saying something stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

39 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I have already told you I also think this team would be bad with anyone managing, but it's obvious Pedro is not the guy. Why continue with his BS? Bring in someone new, see what they can do. if they are just as bad as Pedro, fire them. They need to eventually have someone in place who will be good when they are capable of being good. I'm not blaming it all on Pedro, but he has got to get some of the blame. He's awful. I thought he would be great. All talk, now he can't even speak without saying something stupid. 

Pedro seems resigned to being fired, just says the things he does after every single loss, knowing he has a landing spot as a Royals scout, or something. Usually, just seeing that their horrendous play has gotten people fired is enough to jolt guys into a bit of an attitude change. 

I don't even blame the "saying something stupid" on him. There's nothing to say. The only logical thing for Grifol to be saying after every game is really, "Why am I here?" 

WhiteSoxDave from barstool interviewed Getz in ST, then did a full interview with the 108 guys. His distinct impression was that if Grifol couldn't get anything out of Moncada, Jimenez, Benintendi and Vaughn, he'd be gone. 

If we're making up metaphors, you can't really kick the pilot out of the plane until one of the passengers has read up on the instrument panel so that air traffic control could talk him through crashing the plane into an open field. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Serious question, what made you think he would be great? 

4 minutes ago, MEANS said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but a number of reasonably solid baseball insiders believed he was ready and would be great. I thought we found a diamond in the rough. 

I knew we weren't going to get a "name". His replacement will be off similar caliber. 

I liked what he was saying but also felt anyone who followed this franchise for the past ten years could see all those things he mentioned needed to change for quite some time. I was willing to see what he could offer and he obviously was going to have to learn on the job being so inexperienced, but I've seen enough. At this point it's not the just the manager or just the players, it's both, nestled under the cloud that is this crappy organization. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, MEANS said:

In his introductory press conference he talked about being prepared, and accountable. Being fundamentally sound.  Ready to kick the opponent's ass every night. He used controlling both sides of the ball, which meant getting ahead in counts pitching, and taking pitches hitting. I thought he was great. I was wrong. Everything he talked about has been a failure of epic proportions.

I realized now he was saying what he thought the guys above him wanted to hear. He's a brown noser. Can't kiss Rick and Kenny's ass anymore, so he kisses Getz' and JR, even Tony's HoF baseball persons asses/

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I know this wasn't directed at me, but a number of reasonably solid baseball insiders believed he was ready and would be great. I thought we found a diamond in the rough. 

I knew we weren't going to get a "name". His replacement will be off similar caliber. 

I agree with the replacement, that's why I think it has to happen ASAP. Get someone who can make mistakes and it won't cost you the playoffs now, and when the team is ready, they will be ready as well. 

11 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I agree with the replacement, that's why I think it has to happen ASAP. Get someone who can make mistakes and it won't cost you the playoffs now, and when the team is ready, they will be ready as well. 

This year's replacement won't be around in two or three years when they are competitive and won't be of a caliber to manage a playoff team. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I know hiring someone from a winning organization isn't fool proof, but damn would it be nice to at least turn over that rock once in a while.

Just now, Texsox said:

This year's replacement won't be around in two or three years when they are competitive and won't be of a caliber to manage a playoff team. 

And if Maldonado has plans on being a manager, one day, he may just take the DFA and go be somebody's A-ball catching coach. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T R U said:

I know hiring someone from a winning organization isn't fool proof, but damn would it be nice to at least turn over that rock once in a while.

I'm wondering if they have tried and been turned down?! If you were an agent would you advise a coach or manager client to sign here? 

We get desperation and former players who can be coerced.

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I'm wondering if they have tried and been turned down?! If you were an agent would you advise a coach or manager client to sign here? 

We get desperation and former players who can be coerced.

It feels like Espada turned them down. Not sure if that was ever verified.

• Like 1