Column on Schriffen...

On 5/3/2024 at 12:34 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why does he need to clarify what he meant when he said it?

Again, the station is openly hostile against the White Sox and openly root for them to leave the city and not get a stadium deal.

The Sox are a poorly run organization that needs a lot of work. That said, it's a business and those media networks have only attacked everything about the org.

Truth is, they had access to benetti because he was an intern and they slurped him to no end, and in turn ripped schiffren. They spent all winter talking trash about benetti leaving, and the clique swarmed to critique schiffren in defense of benetti like little kids. 

You think if benetti did this exact same thing, any of this would have happened? Of course not, they'd yuck it up with him about the call and call it a day. 

It doesn’t matter who is “openly hostile”. Sometimes you earn hostility towards yourself. Right is right. This outsider had no right to come in here and tell Sox fans how to fan.

• Like 4

To me the biggest issue I have (and I've been broadcasting for 40+ years) is the apparent lack of preparation. I get it, it's not easy especially for a guy who is known more for football and basketball.

BUT...

He's had a few months now to bone up, he's spent a lot of time with Steve Stone. Jeff Szynal is the Sox scoreboard director and historian, he's an outstanding resource and frankly he is supposed to be a professional Major League broadcaster.   

I just don't get the fundamental mistakes.

That is 100% on him and it doesn't matter where he's from, what his ethnic background is, what sport he grew up playing... these things are basic. You've got to do your homework. 

The appearance for right or wrong seems to be he isn't doing it at all or isn't doing enough of it or he needs some help with it from others. 

He is off to a shaky start at best right now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

To me the biggest issue I have (and I've been broadcasting for 40+ years) is the apparent lack of preparation. I get it, it's not easy especially for a guy who is known more for football and basketball.

BUT...

He's had a few months now to bone up, he's spent a lot of time with Steve Stone. Jeff Szynal is the Sox scoreboard director and historian, he's an outstanding resource and frankly he is supposed to be a professional Major League broadcaster.   

I just don't get the fundamental mistakes.

That is 100% on him and it doesn't matter where he's from, what his ethnic background is, what sport he grew up playing... these things are basic. You've got to do your homework. 

The appearance for right or wrong seems to be he isn't doing it at all or isn't doing enough of it or he needs some help with it from others. 

He is off to a shaky start at best right now. 

He’s exactly the guy Jerry wants, and is spouting Jerry’s pathetic message.  If you critique the team at all, you are a “hater”.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

On 5/3/2024 at 8:19 PM, Lip Man 1 said:

Emblematic of the whole discourse that the column misquotes Schriffen at the key moment.

Scoop Jackson quotes him as saying "for all you haters"

Didn't sound right to me so I played it back and indeed he said, "for all the haters" — you know, language that implies the haters are not part of the people watching NBC Sports Chicago

But I guess people hear whatever they want to hear

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jake said:

Emblematic of the whole discourse that the column misquotes Schriffen at the key moment.

Didn't sound right to me so I played it back and indeed he said, "for all the haters" — you know, language that implies the haters are not part of the people watching NBC Sports Chicago

Oh that makes the reactions to this even more delicious. 

5 hours ago, greg775 said:

Not a bad column at all IMO. I'd say we all know who Schriffen was referring to with his 'haters' comment. He was referring to we fans who have been blasting the Sox on talk radio, message boards, social media.

I forgive him even though I won't watch any of the games until they have a roster worthy to be called MLB. Even though I say 'how dare he' call us haters after our many years of support. He should explain himself more or apologize. Our team is no good but we are not haters.

greg for the win? 

1 hour ago, Jake said:

But the original question still remains and is valid...who are the "haters" and even when we establish that...how are they "haters" of the White Sox? Is a "hater" people that have been critical of objectively the worst team in baseball?  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jake said:

Once again, does it even matter who “the haters” are?  You will receive and deserve “haters” when you are on your way to a historic losing record.  What am I missing here?  How is anyone trying to defend this amateur sportscaster clown?  The dude is trying to talk trash while the team he works for is on their way to their worst record in history.  Once again, what am I missing here?!?  You can’t talk trash when you fucking suck, end of story.  Period.  Schriffen is being a fucking pathetic homer doofus, and more than likely at the instruction of our garbage owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Tony said:

But the original question still remains and is valid...who are the "haters" and even when we establish that...how are they "haters" of the White Sox? Is a "hater" people that have been critical of objectively the worst team in baseball?  

Exactly. A one word difference doesn't drastically change the meaning. And even if you allow that to pass that doesn't excuse the other fundamental mistakes...Javy Baez...Bill Veeck et al. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Thank you.  The end.

12 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Once again, does it even matter who “the haters” are?  You will receive and deserve “haters” when you are on your way to a historic losing record.  What am I missing here?  How is anyone trying to defend this amateur sportscaster clown?  The dude is trying to talk trash while the team he works for is on their way to their worst record in history.  Once again, what am I missing here?!?  You can’t talk trash when you fucking suck, end of story.  Period.  Schriffen is being a fucking pathetic homer doofus, and more than likely at the instruction of our garbage owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

Here’s what you’re missing: Schriffen is not a jaded Sox fan like the rest of us. He’s getting paid to inject life into the broadcast and, by extension, the team.

Yes, using the term “haters” was pretty cringe, but holy hell are some of y’all blowing this way out proportion.

This feels like misdirected anger about the org as a whole more than anything else. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is how I took it when I heard that the word "haters" was being used: White Sox grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory.

Years and years ago on the night the Sox clinched their first division, JR lashed out at Harry Carey and Jimmy Piersall by calling them "scum." It was dumb to be bitter during a happy moment. Even Hawk was surprised.

The Sox finally have a good moment with a walk off home run. Then this stuff starts. Garfien used the word, too and I got the impression JR's bidding was being done. 

Many fans like myself are not haters. We just can't stand to see what is happening to team.  In a relative sense, the Sox don't have a lot of fans. They can't afford to alienate the few they have left.

Schriffen is a new guy who doesn't know about team history. He should take some time to learn a few things. Of course, it would help if the team was playing better. Then Schrifffen and Stone wouldn't have talk about ice cream and deli sandwiches.