Column on Schriffen...

19 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

I think too much time is being spent on this thread about the announcer, sports columnist, and radio hosts.  This is Sox Talk not media appreciation day.

Soxtalk admins should just post this and lock the forum.

CvlED_CWEAAW-lv.jpg

• Thanks 1

There is a hate-love relationship between a team and its fans. They will snipe at each other from time to time. No big deal.

I think there are two cases when a team or someone representing a team shouldn't rip fans. The first is when the team stinks. Second, is when someone ends up ripping the most loyal fans. 

Fan alienation has been a large problem for the Sox for a long time. Stuff like this doesn't help. And it is a big indication of how bad things are with the Sox. 

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Tony said:

1. Then you're an idiot, because going on sports radio for an 8 minute segment, then getting a check for one million dollars seems like fairly sweet deal.

2. I also don't agree with your second point, at least the part about the "media clique" I think it's an absolutely fair question to ask the "voice of the White Sox" what he meant, or who he was referring to when he referred to "the haters." Now, you are correct that he doesn't owe ESPN 1000 or 670 The Score anything. He doesn't. But as we all know, words and actions have consequences. It's the entire free speech argument. If Schriffren decided on tonight's broadcast, he was going to verbally dress down Jerry, saying "I think he's a terrible owner, the fans deserve better, he has been a stain on this city for decades and it's time for him to sell the team..." he wouldn't be thrown in prison, but you bet your ass he'd be looking for a new job tomorrow.

Words have consequences, and when your job literally requires a microphone and your words are broadcast to millions of people, there are responsibilities that come with that. 

Why does he need to clarify what he meant when he said it?

Again, the station is openly hostile against the White Sox and openly root for them to leave the city and not get a stadium deal.

The Sox are a poorly run organization that needs a lot of work. That said, it's a business and those media networks have only attacked everything about the org.

Truth is, they had access to benetti because he was an intern and they slurped him to no end, and in turn ripped schiffren. They spent all winter talking trash about benetti leaving, and the clique swarmed to critique schiffren in defense of benetti like little kids. 

You think if benetti did this exact same thing, any of this would have happened? Of course not, they'd yuck it up with him about the call and call it a day. 

• Like 3

Using the word haters on a local broadcast after a walk off win somehow should have "consequences." You can't make this up.

Are you all sure you grew up Sox fans with hawk Harrelson? Anyone getting offended by the call is either incredibly self centered - thinking somehow a Sox pbp guy is talking about them personally - or you're way too up in your feelings. 

Can't believe I'm defending this goof ball schriffen.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Using the word haters on a local broadcast after a walk off win somehow should have "consequences." You can't make this up.

Are you all sure you grew up Sox fans with hawk Harrelson? Anyone getting offended by the call is either incredibly self centered - thinking somehow a Sox pbp guy is talking about them personally - or you're way too up in your feelings. 

And yet your previous post to this one is you complaining about a radio station ripping on a team with a horrible owner that has been one of the worst teams in the MLB over that past two seasons.  This team would get blasted if it was hosted in any other city in the country.  The Sox are getting ripped on nationally, not just by The Score.  They are the absolute joke of baseball.  Why should they not be ridiculed?  They have a terrible owner who expects taxpayers to foot most of the bill for his new stadium and makes veiled threats at moving the team if he doesn’t get what he wants.

Edited by WhiteSox2023
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

This is what happens when you're a historically awful franchise. Is it much ado about nothing? Yes, but at the end of the day there's nothing positive to talk about and negativey will run wild.

If you don't like what people are saying, change the conversation. Field a competent team. Hire a play by play guy that doesn't need baseball explained to him and so on and on and on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Again, the station is openly hostile against the White Sox and openly root for them to leave the city and not get a stadium deal.

The Sox are a poorly run organization that needs a lot of work. That said, it's a business and those media networks have only attacked everything about the org.

Truth is, they had access to benetti because he was an intern and they slurped him to no end, and in turn ripped schiffren. They spent all winter talking trash about benetti leaving, and the clique swarmed to critique schiffren in defense of benetti like little kids. 

You think if benetti did this exact same thing, any of this would have happened? Of course not, they'd yuck it up with him about the call and call it a day. 

I couldn’t love a post more

As long as we're comparing the two ad nauseum, I'd love to see Schriffen call a game with Bill Walton for the pure chaos.

A home run call in that game would make Spongebob and Patrick calling OT in the Super Bowl look tame.

46 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Spot on 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

He needs to clarify it because it potentially alienates a lot of their customer base. Who he chooses to clarify it with is his call. When I heard it, I wondered if he was referring to someone of my ilk who is very dismayed how the rebuild went and with the current status of the team. I wasn't totally offended. I just thought it was pretty odd.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

For someone that wouldn’t take a million dollars to appear on sports radio, you seem to know an awful lot about what they talk about on a daily basis. Listen often? 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

And yet your previous post to this one is you complaining about a radio station ripping on a team with a horrible owner that has been one of the worst teams in the MLB over that past two seasons.  This team would get blasted if it was hosted in any other city in the country.  The Sox are getting ripped on nationally, not just by The Score.  They are the absolute joke of baseball.  Why should they not be ridiculed?  They have a terrible owner who expects taxpayers to foot most of the bill for his new stadium and makes veiled threats at moving the team if he doesn’t get what he wants.

I don't know about you, but I've been in the business world for a while, and feelings aren't the issue here.

The Sox should be ridiculed plenty for their production and and spending and etc. Thing is, stuff like the Sox moving on from a broadcaster who wanted to maximize his career growth at expense of White Sox games (his choice, and totally fine with me if he didn't cry about it being his "dream job") being turned into some biblical mistake by the media is absurd. The local sports media vocally rooting for the Sox to leave town...

Even your last sentence is hilarious... every owner wants that, and most cities give concessions in some way because that's how big business works. Only in Chicago do you have sports media running an active campaign to relocate the team. The Sox don't want to give air time in ways like this maybe, and I wouldn't blame them even though it's short sighted.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 hour ago, Tony said:

For someone that wouldn’t take a million dollars to appear on sports radio, you seem to know an awful lot about what they talk about on a daily basis. Listen often? 

I probably haven't turned sports talk radio on in a decade, but I'm not blind to twitter and this forum. Pretty easy to follow along. Some of their views have made their way into the paper.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

He needs to clarify it because it potentially alienates a lot of their customer base. Who he chooses to clarify it with is his call. When I heard it, I wondered if he was referring to someone of my ilk who is very dismayed how the rebuild went and with the current status of the team. I wasn't totally offended. I just thought it was pretty odd.

Were you happy when the walk-off was hit? If the answer is yes, it's safe to assume Schriffren wasn't talking about you imo.

2 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This is what happens when you're a historically awful franchise. Is it much ado about nothing? Yes, but at the end of the day there's nothing positive to talk about and negativey will run wild.

If you don't like what people are saying, change the conversation. Field a competent team. Hire a play by play guy that doesn't need baseball explained to him and so on and on and on.

This is a fair point. The one thing the Sox have going for them is this probably isn't rock bottom... it'll be tough to top Drake in my lifetime. Still can't believe they brought Eaton BACK after that situation and him calling Drake a leader. Still one of my favorite Sox moments!

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Were you happy when the walk-off was hit? If the answer is yes, it's safe to assume Schriffren wasn't talking about you imo.

The cardinal rule for broadcasters and umpires is never make yourself a part of the story. Scully or Harwell  would never make such a call just to get back at critics or "send a message."

Hawk Harrelson's one of the few classic broadcasters I could imagine...like when he joined the fight with Jay Mariotti back in the heart of the Ozzie regime.

• Like 1

When Schiffrin decided he was going to represent the “South Side” with his calls, and put all the “haters” on blast, that’s fine, but now that’s your brand and who he is. Two days later, he badly mis-pronounced the name of Bill Veeck on the broadcast. It wasn’t a flub, he read the name on the paper and thought it pronounced “Veek”

If he didn’t make the haters comment, the Veeck mistake isn’t even mentioned. But when you want to puff out your chest and speak for the “South Side” then you better be genuine. Maybe brushing up on Sox history would be a good start. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2

5 hours ago, Quin said:

You've been hating Vaughn since before he was drafted, so I think that means you're not a Sox fan.

Quote me on when I supposedly "hated" Vaughn.  You must be thinking of when Vaughn  was deployed in LF and Steve Stone and some posters here claimed he was a good LFer.  LOL.  I pointed out how slow and nonathletic he was. I took a lot of incoming for saying things like he was the slowest player on the team....he was but Maldanado might be slower now.

Since av has been playing first base I have not commented much about his defense but  others here have, so go after them , not me.

I have no problem with the WSox sticking with AV until he comes out of the slump he has been in. I really would like to see him hit some home runs and cut down on the HIDP and if he can't maybe platoon him with Sheets. Oh my Bob, there I go again bashing Stone's buddy.

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The cardinal rule for broadcasters and umpires is never make yourself a part of the story. Scully or Harwell  would never make such a call just to get back at critics or "send a message."

Hawk Harrelson's one of the few classic broadcasters I could imagine...like when he joined the fight with Jay Mariotti back in the heart of the Ozzie regime.

Yeah but it’s not even a legit story. 

19 hours ago, Tony said:

When Schiffrin decided he was going to represent the “South Side” with his calls, and put all the “haters” on blast, that’s fine, but now that’s your brand and who he is. Two days later, he badly mis-pronounced the name of Bill Veeck on the broadcast. It wasn’t a flub, he read the name on the paper and thought it pronounced “Veek”

If he didn’t make the haters comment, the Veeck mistake isn’t even mentioned. But when you want to puff out your chest and speak for the “South Side” then you better be genuine. Maybe brushing up on Sox history would be a good start. 

9a4d83e0-a00d-45c2-ab53-379ba91d5428_tex

20 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Not a bad column at all IMO. I'd say we all know who Schriffen was referring to with his 'haters' comment. He was referring to we fans who have been blasting the Sox on talk radio, message boards, social media.

I forgive him even though I won't watch any of the games until they have a roster worthy to be called MLB. Even though I say 'how dare he' call us haters after our many years of support. He should explain himself more or apologize. Our team is no good but we are not haters.

• Like 1

I don't know why this is news. I wonder if Agrest can remember a time when he was an actual journalist. This reads like a pearl-clutching blog post from a guy who, naturally, lives in Wilmette. You can read into what he chooses to criticize, quoting a rapper, pride in the South Side. Interesting. I certainly I read into it. There was a post in another thread about the 30 and younger crowd being bored with this team, then you have a bunch of old guys whining about the sort of lingo that young people use. Get over it.