Brad Keller DFA

flavum

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Leone also isn't a major league pitcher. 

Wonder if we slide Shuster into the rotation or give Soroka his spot back

I'd want to see Shuster, might as well try to get the most out of the Bummer trade 🤢!

Although, Soroka was throwing his fastball a couple MPH faster out of the bullpen, right? Did he keep that up through 4 innings? If he can sit 95, Soroka might be an OK 5th starter. Flexen did that for one start, touching 97, then came back to Earth.

Edited by nrockway
  • Like 1

Just constantly replacing flotsam and jetsam with more flotsam and jetsam. Garbage in...garbage out.

I can't see any rhyme or reason to what Getz is doing or trying to do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heads22 said:

Leone also isn't a major league pitcher. 

Wonder if we slide Shuster into the rotation or give Soroka his spot back

https://www.milb.com/player/jared-shuster-694363

He pitched just 79 innings last year at AAA...it would probably take him 3-4 weeks just to get to the point where he could throw 3 and then eventually 4 innings as a starter.

With how well he's been doing out of the pen, probably better not to mess with it.

That said, bringing up Thorpe to get massacred or start his service clock is just a terrible idea...but especially against an offense like the Orioles.

6 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I'd want to see Shuster, might as well try to get the most out of the Bummer trade 🤢!

Although, Soroka was throwing his fastball a couple MPH faster out of the bullpen, right? Did he keep that up through 4 innings? If he can sit 95, Soroka might be an OK 5th starter. Flexen did that for one start, touching 97, then came back to Earth.

Up to 96.9 MPH.

That's the unique selling point I guess for moving him back into the rotation now...might last 2-3 starts.

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

https://www.milb.com/player/jared-shuster-694363

He pitched just 79 innings last year at AAA...it would probably take him 3-4 weeks just to get to the point where he could throw 3 and then eventually 4 innings as a starter.

With how well he's been doing out of the pen, probably better not to mess with it.

That said, bringing up Thorpe to get massacred or start his service clock is just a terrible idea...but especially against an offense like the Orioles.

Or…Thorpe is ready and the schedule is going to be tough no matter what, so get the guy in there and let him pitch. But that’s just me. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Just constantly replacing flotsam and jetsam with more flotsam and jetsam. Garbage in...garbage out.

Trying to justify his offseason smack talk and his role as a major league GM.

10 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Panic.

3 minutes ago, flavum said:

Or…Thorpe is ready and the schedule is going to be tough no matter what, so get the guy in there and let him pitch. But that’s just me. 

Well, the whole argument is going to be AAA vs. Chicago...which benefits him more after the AA All-Star Break?

Secondly, he's arguably the first member of the future Sox rotation, so why not wait until May, 2025?   Now if they could work out something with Crochet in terms of an extension, you can start to squint at that future rotation adding Schultz there as well.

It's hard to write names like Cannon, Nastrini and Iriarte in anything but very thin pencil.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Panic.

May very well be. And who knows what pressure (if any) he's getting from JR who loves to stick his nose in baseball on-field affairs).

Honestly, this is my  64th season following the franchise and I don't know if I've ever seen a season with less Major League talent on the roster. 

Even in 1970 they had several solid Major League players...Wood, Melton, May, Herrmann, Aparicio, John, Horlen.

This bunch is just garbage everywhere. 

Edited by Lip Man 1

4 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

You're right. It does seem panicky, the way everyone's trying to get their dunks in before the Sox leave NY. 

I mean if you are going to try this, at least make it decent.  This was the Rafael Ortega of insults.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I mean if you are going to try this, at least make it decent.  This was the Rafael Ortega of insults.

Getz is probably making personnel moves at a normal rate as every other team, but sure, keep that "panic" narrative going. I'm guessing that Corey Julks panicked after Getz claimed him in a panic, and hit a panic home run, and stole another home run, you know, in a panic. LOL. Jared Shuster also pitched 2 good, panicked innings, probably in a panic over Getz panicking and trading for him this off-season. What a desperate narrative. 

• Haha 1

Just now, WestEddy said:

Getz is probably making personnel moves at a normal rate as every other team, but sure, keep that "panic" narrative going. I'm guessing that Corey Julks panicked after Getz claimed him in a panic, and hit a panic home run, and stole another home run, you know, in a panic. LOL. Jared Shuster also pitched 2 good, panicked innings, probably in a panic over Getz panicking and trading for him this off-season. What a desperate narrative. 

If you are going to try to make a statement like this bring proof.  Otherwise run along.

• Like 3

A quick glance at Baseball-Reference

There have been 42 different players on the White Sox 26-man roster at this point. TL;DR - Only the Marlins have more. Take a look below.

Does this actually matter? Not really. But without diving deeper, are these teams relying on all this churn to serve in their starting lineup and rotation as much as the White Sox? @fathom had a stat a few weeks ago about the # of players debuting with the Sox this year has surpassed last year.

Getz talked BIG about building a culture and being a place that players would  want to sign. But right now the offense sucks, the defense sucks, the culture is Pedro's FASTs culture sponsored by Martin Maldonado, and Chris Getz can't decide who he wants to be starting a game every single day. He's like an inverse AKME, but somehow worse.

CLE: 33
MIN: 37
DET: 32
KC: 32

NYY: 34
BOS: 40
BAL: 36
TOR: 35
TB: 35

SEA: 35
OAK: 37
TEX: 40
LAA: 37
HOU: 38

CHC: 38
STL: 35
PIT: 35
MIL: 39
CIN: 34

NYM: 41 (oh, oh so close!)
PHI: 32
ATL: 35
MIA: 43 - Getz fans rejoice! He is better at roster management than the Miami Marlins!!!
DC: 34

LAD: 41
SFG: 40
AZ: 39
COL: 31
SD: 34

• Fire 2

20 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If you are going to try to make a statement like this bring proof.  Otherwise run along.

Because unlike you, I deal in reality.

Using the fangraphs transactions tracker:

-No team has had more different hitters on their roster than the White Sox at 22.  The only team tied with the Sox has 6 on the IL currently (sfg)  the Sox only have 3.  Pitchers weren't show for some reason.

-since the end of the 23 season, no team has as many transactions as the Sox (264).  The closest team has 22 less. (242/nym)

-Sox lead mlb in dfa's (21), including Keller today.

-Sox lead mlb in demotions (41)

-Sox lead mlb in promotions (44)

Any other imaginary statements you'd like to be proven wrong on?

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Okay, here's Sportrac's data of all transaction since opening day. If Getz was so "panicked", I'd expect him to be way ahead of every other team. Instead, while on the higher end of all transactions, he's right in there with the Mets, Brewers, Dodgers, Cubs, Astros, Rangers and Marlins. Some teams have been lucky with injuries. I would say the Sox weren't. And they started the season with the entire starting lineup being injured, in a horrible slump, or playing at the expected low level (Maldonado). They also knew, going into the season, they had a rotation and bullpen full of reclamation projects. 

What online hecklers might call panic, professionals call "aggressive" or "proactive". 

white sox 47
yanks 29
d-backs 27
orioles 25
braves 15
red sox 27
cubs 42
reds 15
guardians 16
rockies 11
tigers 19
astros 37