***NEWS-Sox trade for Juan Uribe

bulokis

Pardon me if I'm underwhelmed. I'm judging moves this offseason with the following thought "would that have been the missing piece for winning the division" and guess what? This isn't the piece. Why is it when we make a move somewhere in the guys bio is the phrase minimum salary?

So far this off season our pitching has gotten worse. We may have a small gain at SS. We may have a very nice gain as manager. Sounds like seconmd place is stil ours.

Whoop dee f***ing do

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you guys need to calm down, when this is the only move the Sox have made come Spring Training then you can hit the panic button. Still plenty of off-season left, the winter meetings haven't even happened yet.

From AP News:

White Sox get Uribe from Rockies for Miles

December 2, 2003

CHICAGO (AP) -- The Chicago White Sox bolstered their infield depth Tuesday, getting Juan Uribe from the Colorado Rockies for minor league infielder Aaron Miles.

Uribe hit .253 with a career-high 10 homers and 33 RBIs for the Rockies last season. He missed the first two months of the season with a broken bone in his left foot.

Uribe started 286 games at shortstop the past three seasons, and also made 11 starts at second base last year.

But he'll likely be primarily a backup in Chicago. The White Sox already have veteran shortstop Jose Valentin, and they hope to re-sign second baseman Roberto Alomar.

``In the short term, Juan gives us an experienced utility player who can deliver, plus defensive skills at both shortstop and second base,'' White Sox general manager Kenny Williams said. ``In the long term, we believe Juan has a high upside as an everyday shortstop in the major leagues.''

Uribe is a career .258 hitter in three seasons in Colorado.

Miles spent most of the season at Triple-A Charlotte, where he was chosen as the International League rookie of the year. The switch-hitter batted .304 and led the league with a club-record 166 hits. He also hit 11 homers and had 50 RBIs.

Miles made his major league debut Sept. 11, and hit .333 with two RBIs in eight games for the White Sox.

``We've identified a certain type of player we want to add to our roster, and Aaron possesses a lot of the intangibles we want,'' Rockies general manager Dan O'Dowd said. ``He's a tough, hard-nosed, aggressive kid. We think he has a chance to be a good major league player.''

O'Dowd said the Rockies are looking to use Miles primarily at second base.

Sounds like he's Tony's replacement in the short term...

This is a very good move. The Sox are trading away a 26 year old, AAAer, who doesn't have any of the true ability to wow ya. Miles isn't that good. He isn't patient and thats his big flaw and defensively he doesn't have the range and other skills needed to make up for that fact, although he may have enough pop to make it on somewhere. I just never liked Miles much as a prospect...liked him a lot as a minor league player and a guy that will make a minor league team better.

Uribe also lacks the ability to draw walks, but he did improve on that quite a bit last year. This kid is only 24, is a stud defensively, and solid enough with the bat that he should do better. He's faster then the stolen bases would indicate and if you ask me he will be the starter.

KW is saying the right things so it looks as if we are just replacing Graffy, which very well could be as well. But you don't want to say he's your new shortstop, cause then Jose's stock drops way off. My best guess is the Sox will be under payroll by the end of the winter meetings and then they will have some money to tinker around with.

KW doesn't screw around and he will be busy, whether its for the good or bad, who knows, but he will be busy.

I think this is just a good move. Trading a 26 yr old 2nd baseman without much upside for a guy that could become one of the better shortstops in the majors.

Also, while it will be ugly, don't be shocked if you see a Harris/Uribe middle infield. Defensively the range and defense would be stellar but offensively it be a definate work in progress. Still, if it means the Sox can bring in the stud pitching, I don't have a problem with that.

Let me add we may see one more minor deal before the winter meetings so KW is positioned to move guys without worrying that he won't be able to have someone in house to replace them.

Would someone please tell me why we paid $5 MM for Jose.

I've probably seen Uribe play 200 games.  Great range, shotgun arm, and he knows how to get in any manager's doghouse.

Well my thinkin is now KW is gonna try and ship out Valentin and sum1 else to get Perez from LA and this was KW's plan all along. If that happens we could still need sum more infield depth unless we pick up Isturis as well, but I'd also like to go afta Pokey Reese and Ramon Vasquez if they'll come cheap.

Why are so many people so bitter?

Who ever claimed this to be the biggest trade of the off-season? Did the Sox openly say that this will put us over the top and that they are done making trades?

Jesus, KW has only a $60 million payroll to work with and already has $55+ million dedicated with 4-5 spots left to fill, give him time.

And please, can people stop with this whole Cubs/Sox comparision crap. The Cubs have made one move, which wasn't even great. All they did was trade one first baseman with a lot potential and patience, but inexperience, for a solid first-baseman who doesn't have the upside, but is proven. They are also paying an additional $7 million more and added another right-hander who strikes out a lot. It was an even trade for both sides so PLEASE stop with the "look what the Cubs are doing" bulls*** because they have only made one move.

As far as Hawkins? If they sign him, it will be a very good move for them as he's a very good reliever. At the same time, however, they will still be relying and expecting Joe Borowski to repeat himself. I'm not saying he won't, but guys like Borowski have come and gone a lot in baseball. don't forget that Remlinger is hitting 40 and Farnsworth has yet to prove any sort of consistency.

Give the Cubs credit for taking the next step and trying to add to the playoff team they had last year, but don't forget their pen and offense are still filled with holes and they have a fan base that is willing to go to the ballpark and support them.

Will the Sox make better trades and signings? who knows, but there is still a ton of time left and a lot of s*** we have to wait-and-see on, unfortunately.

To add to what Mario said...other then the BoSox and Yankees who has been very active thus far. Almost every team in baseball has been sitting, its just the way the market is.

I think we've seen what Kenny does and he's agressive and not afraid to make trades. We can all debate whether the trades are for the better, but I don't think any of us can debate Kenny's agressiveness..well I guess some would call it stupidity, lol.

I think trader Kenny will be busy and what he gets for Konerko, Jose, Lee, Maggs and Koch will be interesting. Cause we know at least some of them will be gone.

as small as this Uribe trade is, it does give us a solid backup at the very least. Plus, he has the ability and talent to be a solid player, whether it is at second or short, so this trade, as little as it is, gives the Sox flexibility.

Realistically, they can now trade Valentin (if they choose) and won't be desperate to get a SS in return. However, if we do that and start Uribe at short, Roberto Alomar must be signed to play second.

Either way, this gives the Sox some versatility. We now have three options at second (Uribe, Harris or Alomar) and two at short (Valentin and Uribe).

It was a good move, not big, but good.