September 17Sep 17 Author 4 hours ago, almagest said:He could hit the ball basically in any part of the zone, but do we know how well he hits fastballs vs offspeed? Seems like he's having trouble picking up spin to me (based on how often he swings and misses on crap in the dirt). He also seems in between to a degree that paralyzes his decision making at the plate, which is why he's not swinging at some obvious strikes. Also I can't find it now but I saw a comparison of his setup and its very different now as compared to when he was hitting.Basically, he's a complete mess and needs a reset.I didn't post the pitch values pre/post slump, but he was hitting the fastball well before the injury and is now hitting nothing well. breaking pitches were always one of his weaknesses.
September 17Sep 17 Author 7 hours ago, fathom said:Absolutely great stuff, kudos! I think his bat path is so messed up. His hands obviously starts high, and then he immediately drops them a staggering amount. He also seems to have no confidence anymore, and it’s apparent in his body language.The hands dropping too low is probably forcing him to have the higher swing tilt.
September 17Sep 17 24 minutes ago, chw42 said:The hands dropping too low is probably forcing him to have the higher swing tilt.I go back to the fastball he swung under against Gavin Williams. It’s just not going to work at this level.
September 17Sep 17 Author 4 minutes ago, fathom said:I go back to the fastball he swung under against Gavin Williams. It’s just not going to work at this level.He straight up looks late on any fastball. Especially outside fastballs.
September 17Sep 17 3 minutes ago, chw42 said:He straight up looks late on any fastball. Especially outside fastballs.Open up early, hands drop too much and indecision equals 50 pct strikeout rate
September 17Sep 17 The white Sox subreddit is convinced that he will bounce back and the Sox should resign him. Those guys are optimistic about everything.
September 17Sep 17 1 hour ago, ron883 said:The white Sox subreddit is convinced that he will bounce back and the Sox should resign him. Those guys are optimistic about everything.The nice thing is that the Sox have another entire season to see if he can do it. But I can’t see him not going all the way to free agency now. Edited September 17Sep 17 by WhiteSox2023
September 18Sep 18 Author I noticed Mune changed where he starts his hands today. Much more similar to what he was doing to start the year.
September 18Sep 18 7 minutes ago, chw42 said:I noticed Mune changed where he starts his hands today. Much more similar to what he was doing to start the year.My eyes were telling me the same thing. I’m curious if it was true or if our eyes were right.
September 18Sep 18 11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:Why else would he take the dive?Not to derail the thread, as I was originally just making a joke. But the translator definitely took the fall. Money is the answer to your question.
September 18Sep 18 Good post. I still think it's primarily the mental strain of his first MLB season. Hopefully last night sparks the big turnaround. Edited September 18Sep 18 by 35thstreetswarm
September 18Sep 18 11 hours ago, chw42 said:I noticed Mune changed where he starts his hands today. Much more similar to what he was doing to start the year.11 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:My eyes were telling me the same thing. I’m curious if it was true or if our eyes were right.When I saw he homered I looked up the video just to check. Our eyes do not deceive us.
September 18Sep 18 3 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:When I saw he homered I looked up the video just to check. Our eyes do not deceive us.In the Sun-Times today he acknowledged that his swing had become to "upper cut."
September 18Sep 18 6 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:When I saw he homered I looked up the video just to check. Our eyes do not deceive us.They don't, but it's a bit more nuanced. He tinkers with his stance/setup a lot. His Opening Day stance that everyone is using as a benchmark was markedly different from his stance even 2 weeks afterward
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.