Milton no longer a twin

KipWellsFan

This division keeps getting weaker

They now most likely get to keep Eddie Guardado and Shannon Stewart, two guys they had most of last year(Guardado all year, Stewart half a year), and guys played a huge role in winning them a division.

Eric Milton, meanwhile, pitched about a month this year, posting insignificant numbers and not playing a role besides bench warmer in the postseason.

Regardless of who the Twins got in return, did they not win this deal? They get to retain their spark from last year and a pretty solid relief pitcher in Guardado and get rid of a guy they used very little last year? Hypothetically, that would be like us trading Koch and getting to resign Gordon and Everett. Not gonna happen because Gordon has already signed, but you get the, and for the Twins, it is an even bigger plus. As I've said twice before, they get to keep a good relief pitcher and the guy that sparked their team to the best record in the AL after the break, and get rid of a guy they used very little last year.

Tell me that this division is getting weaker because the Twins traded a guy that they will not use and get to keep two guys that they will use a lot, and I will laugh at you.

The division is getting weaker for 2004.  I have to agree with that.

I agree with that. If you look at it from an outsider's point of view, you see the Twins getting stronger, the Royals staying the same, and the White Sox getting worse, while the Tigers are Indians are sitting around with their thumbs up their asses. Actually, that's the only way I think you can look at it. The Twins are getting stronger while everyone else is just fighting for last place.

Well this allows the twins to keep some guys and Milton was a pretty much non factor in last seasons team making the playoffs, so basically consider this as them getting something for nothing cause these guys could produce for Milton who didn't produce last season.

Good move by the TWins cause Milton was due a lot. Silva isn't Hawkins, but he's a good reliever and I'm guessing he's Hawkins replacement.

Well this allows the twins to keep some guys and Milton was a pretty much non factor in last seasons team making the playoffs, so basically consider this as them getting something for nothing cause these guys could produce for Milton who didn't produce last season.

Good move by the TWins cause Milton was due a lot.  Silva isn't Hawkins, but he's a good reliever and I'm guessing he's Hawkins replacement.

I said it in another thread(I believe the Roberto Hernandez rumor thread), that I think Grant Balfour could be Hawkins's replacement(actually Rincon replaces Hawkins as setup and Balfour replaces Rincon as middle relief guy). I think Silva will come in and will replace Tony Fiore.

Tally so far:

--Twins lose by far their best reliever Hawkins.

--Twins lose their best starter Santana.

--Twins lose an AS catcher Pirzinski, who gave Sox fits both with his bat and smart game-calling.

--Twins are still going to lose Stewart because he wants to play in the big market and will comment crazy dollars. Even if they keep him, provided Sox quickly get out of the gate in 2004, Twins will be forced to dump him at the break.

--Twins lose their BEST pitcher in 2002 in Milton, the guy who can dominate when healthy. Since his 2003 injury was not back/shoulder/elbow related, there is no reason he wouldn't have continued to dominate us in 2004.

--Twins lose Sox killer Mays to too many injurues. His Sox Killer'ness is not just trivia-- each game against your opponent counts as two.

If Jerry doesn't see that this is a truly a pathetic division and doesn't try to do his BEST (I mean every possible option, including going into red ) in the next 3 years, the he should sell the team and not bother since he will not have many fans left beyond that.

There is still no gaurentee that Stewart and Guardado will sign, and even so there is also no gaurentee that Stewart will perform as well as he did with his short stint with the twins, and that Guardado will perform either. His 2003 season wasn't as good as his 2002 season. He could regress again in '04.

When did the Twins lose Santana?

I missed that. Is he injured and out for the year.

The only way the Twins remain formidable is if they sign Stewart.

Going from AJ to Mauer will be a dip in the short term.

Hawkins will be a big loss (although they do have Balfour, Silva and don't forget Nathan, the guy they got from SF).

I'm pretty certain Mays will be out for most of the year because of arm trouble.

And the word is they're probably going to dump Jacque Jones, too.

Hot rumor today is that KC is adding Mondesi and Santiago.

If the Sox can do some intelligent tweaking, they can win the division.

That's what I thought.

Why did the earlier post say the Twins lose their best starter, Santana?

I believe it was supposed to read Joe Mays, who did have elbow surgery, but is hardly their best starter.

Twins still have Radke, Santana, Lohse and Kenny Rogers.

Milton is gone.

Mays is hurt.

Reed is a free agent who won't be back.

They're weakened, but they're not out of it.

Call me optimistic, but I still think the Sox can win this division. Especially if Santana isn't available to the Twinkies right away. And if one of their other 2 main starters (Radke, Lohse) struggles, then they're really up a creek. Of course, Buerhle will need to be consistent the entire year, and Garland will have to step it up (Patience running seriously thin with him). But I think they can still pull it off.