Why are you a Sox fan?

wsbaseball

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dad grew up on the northside liking both teams. When he was 14 he became an Andy Frain usher. During a doubleheader at the Urinal, the Cub GM at the time saw my dad leaning against a railing. He told Andy Frain to fire him. Andy liked my dad and told him the story, and that he wasn't going to fire him. He told him to hide in the upper deck the rest of the day. My dad has hated the Cubs ever since, and passed that hatred along to my brother and me.

My dad always took me to Sox games when i was little. He would pull me out of school for Opening Day every year. Since 1983 I have been to every home opener. My aunt and cousins tried to convert me to be a Cub fan, but I wasn't having it. I have footage on VHS where I was at a Pirates/Cub game when I was about 10. I made the cameras during the 7th inning stretch and there I was wearing a Pirates Jersey cheering against the hated Cub.

I was raised right. I can't get enough White Sox baseball. Over the last 5 seasons I have been to approximately 130 Sox games.

Two years ago I started a tradition of seeing the Sox on the road once a year. I have been to Boston, Cleveland, and Tampa Bay for Sox games.

When I have kids they will be Sox fans or they will get a beating.

My friends and I didn't have parents into sports. We grew up on the north side. We actually liked both teams til we were 9 or 10. Then we just started liking Harold Baines, Ozzie, Walker, Carlos Martinez, Fisk, Pasqua, Gallagher, Melido, Thigpen, Black Jack, etc.. more. We starting taking the red line from the howard stop to 35th, when we were 10. And all 6 of us have been Sox fans ever since.

I am a proud White Sox find mainly because my brother introduced me to them. He showed me who The Big Hurt , Robin Ventura, and Ozzie Guillen were and since then I have been a sox fan and my love for the sox only becomes stronger every year. One of the best games I remember going to was when the sox retired Fisk's number. To go to a sox game now is heaven for me.

Simple....I lived above Jimbo's when I was a little kid. My grandpa owned that building...I used to be in awe watching the fireworks after homeruns. My dad was a die hard and I followed his lead. We moved from birdgeport when I started grammer school...but I'll always remember watching the fireworks from the fire escape. That's what originally hooked me. :headbang :headbang

Simple....I lived above Jimbo's when I was a little kid.  My grandpa owned that building...I used to be in awe watching the fireworks after homeruns.  My dad was a die hard and I followed his lead.  We moved from birdgeport when I started grammer school...but I'll always remember watching the fireworks from the fire escape.  That's what originally hooked me. :headbang  :headbang

We probably knew eachother as kids.. :ph34r:

I grew up at 29th and Halsted (actually 29th and Poplar) and my dad worked in the stock yards. He had season tickets in the early/mid 60's until we moved out of state for a year, then we came back to Bridgeport.

I'd be outside in the yard playing and hear the fireworks go off, signifying a Sox home run. So I'd run inside, turn on the TV and catch the replay.

The Sox players used to come over to McGuane Park and give clinics, autographs, etc. and they also gave away some tickets, especially the 1968, 1969, and 1970 seasons. I remember one twi-night doubleheader in 1970 or so and there couldn't have been more than 2000 people there.

Anyway, it's in the blood. From the early 60's to last nite, I'm still going to the ballpark.

I honestly don't remember why. I didn't really like baseball or any other pro sports til about 1993. It's not like anyone around here was a White Sox fan, but I remember how sorry the Red Sox were, not anything I wanted to attach myself to.

Back then Frank and Griffey dominated the landscape as far as superstars. Everyone else seemed to like Griffey more, but I liked Frank because he wasn't trying to please anyone, he was just this enormous guy who went out and hit the crap out of the ball. It was probably a combination of him, the cool uniforms, and using them in video games all the time.

I have a smart dad who worked his ass off to keep me from the evil cubs fans in Deerfield.

My dad and I never got along growing up, but we always had our love for the sox together.

My first sox memory, my dad caught a Harold Baines homerun when I was two, thought he was the coolest man in the world. The sox lost, and I cried, devoted from the start.

We probably knew eachother as kids..  :ph34r:

It's possible. My dad owned what is now Jimbo's back in the day. It was called the Magical Mystery Tap. (M&M Tap) Beatles fans I guess. My parents know everyone from over there, but I moved when I was too little to remember people. The only name I remember cause I dated the girl years later was Caponeigro. 3 brothers and 1 sister so usually someone knows the name. Anyway, most people know my dad...so I just throw his name around. ;)

It's possible.  My dad owned what is now Jimbo's back in the day.  It was called the Magical Mystery Tap. (M&M Tap)  Beatles fans I guess.  My parents know everyone from over there, but I moved when I was too little to remember people.  The only name I remember cause I dated the girl years later was Caponeigro.  3 brothers and 1 sister so usually someone knows the name.  Anyway, most people know my dad...so I just throw his name around. ;)

My great gramps, grampa, and my dad used to take me to every home game. I was at more games the first 5 years of my life than a lot of folks I know in their 30's now.. :lol:

They used to take me in there. I remember playing with a brother and sister that lived about 4 houses down from Jimbo's on the west (I think...) side of the street. I believe the brothers name was Mike. He was a year or 2 older than me. They used to have a plastic pool in their front yard and a slip & slide along the side of the house. Good times...

I was born in oklahoma in 1985, my first baseball game was college ball Oklahoma State vs Oklahoma, ironically my dad was an OU fan but my Mom told me about Robin Ventura who was in the middle of his college baseball record hit streak of 58 games, of course i was only 2 at the time so i didn't remember him from then but we nashville,TN in 1997 which was the aaa farm team of the Sox and as cool as this is my first baseball game in nashville and Ventura was on rehab from blowing out his knees in that play at the plate. Since that moment I have been I die hard ChiSox fan and Of course my Idol is Robin Ventura