Cubs as Champs

Who does not mind seeing the Cubs win a World Series this year?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who does not mind seeing the Cubs win a World Series this year?

• I do not mind
    • I absolutely mind. They can burn in hell forever.

I know I will take a lot of flak for this, but I have no problems seeing the Cubs win the WS this year.

I know some of their fans and some of the preferential treatment in the city by the media (though I have seen many instances to the contrary) make it difficult to like them. But I actually do not have a problem if they win it all this year.

It would be great for a city like Chicago. Of course it will hurt our chances for attracting the casual fan, which means lower payroll and worse teams for us. But it could work the other way too....maybe JR will finally realize he needs to do something to win if he sees how much a winner is revered here in Chicago.

Also, most of the Cub players are good people (Samme being an exception) and easy to root for. I love Prior, Wood, Ramirez, Alou, Patterson, Maddux, Zambrano, Clements etc ....and would love to have any of them on the South Side.

I firmly believe also that if one team wins the darn WS, then both teams will start winning them more often....just a gut feeling.

I doubt anyone else will vote for the 1st option, but would like to know your thoughts on this.

:bang

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I chose "I absolutely mind", but fact is I don't care if they win. I can care less and you should have that as an option in your poll. There should be three options...

1) you'd be happy for them

2) they can rot in hell

3) you can careless

I'm #3. The Cubs are like the fricken Padres to me. I don't give a s*** about them. If they win..so what....it ain't my team. It would piss me off because I would have to see more and more coverage and listen to more and more cub fans s***, but other than that...I don't care.

I hate the line "It would be great for the city of Chicago" Gimmie a break. What the f*** does that mean? Are you a hotel owner or something? Do you somehow stand to benefit by something being great for the city. It would be great for Chicago CUB fans. Unless you are in the hotel/tourism/restaurant business the cubs winning does s*** for you personally. How is it great for a sox fan or a non baseball fan if the cubs win. It isn't....so don't use the "good for the city" line as a reason to be happy if the cubs win. If you want a reason to be happy then just say I ride the fence and root for whatever team is winning.

I know I will take a lot of flak for this, but I have no problems seeing the Cubs win the WS this year.

I know some of their fans and some of the preferential treatment in the city by the media (though I have seen many instances to the contrary) make it difficult to like them. But I actually do not have a problem if they win it all this year.

It would be great for a city like Chicago. Of course it will hurt our chances for attracting the casual fan, which means lower payroll and worse teams for us. But it could work the other way too....maybe JR will finally realize he needs to do something to win if he sees how much a winner is revered here in Chicago.

Also, most of the Cub players are good people (Samme being an exception) and easy to root for. I love Prior, Wood, Ramirez, Alou, Patterson, Maddux, Zambrano, Clements etc ....and would love to have any of them on the South Side.

I firmly believe also that if one team wins the darn WS, then both teams will start winning them more often....just a gut feeling.

I doubt anyone else will vote for the 1st option, but would like to know your thoughts on this.

:bang

Have you been brainwashed?

This is naive at best. A Chicago Cubs world series will absolutely DESTROY any hope of ressurecting our fan base. Every celebrity hack will jump aboard the bandwagon and the nation will once again profess their love for the "Loveable Losers." Could anyone stand another October run for the Cubs? Chicago would become immersed in all things Cubs, and if the White Sox weren't irrelevant before, they sure as would be during a World Series.

Following season (win or lose) FA's across the league take pay cuts in order to play for a winning club, meanwhile KW attempts to subside the PR disaster of Maggs signing with the Cubs. JR issues a quote to upset White Sox fans: it says to stop worrying about the Cubs, and to welcome the addition of three cheap "grinders" to the lineup. Not a guarantee any of the above will happen, its just what I fear. :ph34r:

Far as increasing payroll, JR couldn't give a f*** about the Cubs. He has said on numerous occasions he feels no need to compete.

I'm not intending to bash you Sox-R-Us. You can feel indifference towards the Cubs, but you have to fear the implications a Cubs Worlds Series would have on our team.

If anyone answers they don't mind. They should be banned from this website and as Sox fans.  The grief us Soxs fans will endure if the Cubs do win will be unbareable.  The SOX need to win a WS before th Cubs.

I don't mind. :bringit

If the Cubs win they lose the title of being the darlings of the league who never win. We will never have to hear "lovable losers" any longer. No more curse, the Cubs we become like almost every other team in the league. There will be nothing "special" about them any longer.

That is why I don't care if they win.

I have come to expect the worst. I do feel the Cubs could win it this year, and I think they probably will. They are dangerous as all hell.

However, I do mind if they win it. Not because the Cubs won it, but because of the effect it will have on the White Sox. I could personally care less about the Cubs. It is the asshole Cubs fans I detest the most.

I have come to expect the worst.  I do feel the Cubs could win it this year, and I think they probably will.  They are dangerous as all hell.

However, I do mind if they win it.  Not because the Cubs won it, but because of the effect it will have on the White Sox.  I could personally care less about the Cubs.  It is the asshole Cubs fans I detest the most.

Call me crazy, but I think it would be good to shine the light of failure on JR.

If the Cubs win the World Series, MAYBE the fact that the Sox have also failed to win it in almost 90 years would get more exposure. Shame JR into maybe finally doing something serious to get it done.

Of course, it won't ever happen until Reinsdorf convinces the Cigar Squad to loosen the purse strings when it comes to pursuing top-flight free agents. This will probably never happen. The Sox always put on the dog and pony show, but are never serious players for big-ticket guys.

Staying away hasn't been the answer, maybe shame could be.

<Wears flame jacket and ducks and hides>  :bang

Please get the f*** off the board, scumbag.

:cheers :usa

If the Cubs winning the World Series this year somehow were to make the Sox win it the next year (open JR's eyes and pursestrings, light a fire under Frank to have a Bonds-like second prime, etc), then I don't mind.

If the Cubs winning it doesn't help us win one, then I in no way want to see them win it. I'd buy NLCS/WS front-row seats along the foul lines and pull a Bartman if that's what it takes.

Please get the f*** off the board, scumbag.

:cheers  :usa

Brando, are you saying you do not agree? Always getting to the point in the fastest amount of time.

I hope this doesn't degenerate into a hate filled, profanity laced, thread.

I agree Reddy...I would rather win first.

I also do not want them to win by beating us in the world series....no way

But, if their winning does not impact us, I do not mind. Frankly, I doubt if their winning a WS will further reduce our attendance. The facts are most casual fans as of today would rather watch the Cubs at Wrigley than the Sox at USCF. Those who attend Sox fans are die hard who will be there independent of what the Cubs do.

In fact, if the Cubs win the WS, or contend like they are supposed to do this year, there will be no tickets available for Wrigley the following few years (like it is today), which means the average fan of baseball will all come out to USCF since they have no other place to watch MLB

JUst my two cents....it can work both ways