Official Ortiz/Jones ATL Rumors Thread

redandwhite

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They won't have to spin it.  If the Mets rumor of 140/8 is realistic for Maggs or Beltran than the final offer for Maggs' services will be way out of the SOX league.

Getting Andruw Jones in CF at the cell for about 12 mil a yr thru 2007 is the smart move.  Especially if Ortiz can be signed to less than 6 mil a yr.

Rowand's improvement gives the SOX an option of Lee, Jones, & Rowand.  That would make it one of the best D OF in one of the best hitter's ball parks. Sounds like a winnin g combination to me.

Heck ya it is, but I think this rumor is going to die down although I fully believe Kenny will pull the trigger on at least one more deal, possibly two. He's not only going to try and set up this team to make the playoffs, but to go all the way.

Rowand's improvement gives the SOX an option of Lee, Jones, & Rowand.  That would make it one of the best D OF in one of the best hitter's ball parks. Sounds like a winning combination to me.

And with that outfield, we'd probably have at least one web-gem a night! :D

Remember web-gems get major air play on ESPN & in the news.

With Lee, Jones, & Rowand the SOX might see a web-gem a week.

That's certainly marketable.

I think the catches Jones would make in CF would make him an instant fan favorite.

If Walker can get him to cut down the strikeouts (very possible on this team) then

he might be the best position player on the SOX in 2005. That's pretty good for about 1/2 the cost of Maggs. Likewise this is the best time to do because Maggs has been on the DL for so long he's starting to resemble the forgotten man.

Heck ya it is, but I think this rumor is going to die down although I fully believe Kenny will pull the trigger on at least one more deal, possibly two.  He's not only going to try and set up this team to make the playoffs, but to go all the way.

I don't think Kenny believes he can win a World Series with

Garcia, Buehrle, E-Lo, & Garland/Schow. I don't think he really believes that.

So he's got to get another starter if he wants more than the division.

Jon has pitched good in his last 3 outings but his defense has cost him the wins.

He's still a mental case for a short series. Schow was pitching solid before the back spasms which brought on the inflamation. Again that's a big risk for a short series.

Ortiz is the only logical option for what we've heard in trade rumors.

Benson is a horrible option & I don't see Kenny rolling the dice there.

He might be willing to get Kip Wells back but Garland has pitched better than Wells.

Mesa is the only viable arm Kenny might want from Pitts.

I don't think that Kenny should pull any trigger right now. With Contreras pitching better for NY they will be less inclined to go after Ortiz. I think Kenny has the time now to work the best deal possible for Ortiz.

As I understand, Moyer will likely be available soon as well. He would be a substantial upgrade over Schow as a LH in the rotation & he wouldn't cost nearly as must as Ortiz or Garcia.

In other words if Maggs is staying then Moyer is the next logical target.

I don't think Kenny believes he can win a World Series with

Garcia, Buehrle, E-Lo, & Garland/Schow. I don't think he really believes that.

Well, now that we're giving up Reeds and Olivos left and right.....I guess Sox kinda, sorta DO want to "win" afterall.

How about Randy Johnson, say, a month from now? You want to beat Yankes/Red Sox?

Unit

Garcia

Buerhle

Unit

Garcia

in a 5 game ALDS series? Me likey.

The presence of 2 LHers in the rotation makes it much harder for opposing teams.

The SOX are one of the best teams against LHers.  Most of the ALC is pretty weak against them.

F Garci starts: 11 quality, 2 winnable, 3 poor

M Bueh starts: 9 quality, 2 winnable, 5 poor

R Ortiz starts: 9 quality, 2 winnable, 5 poor

E Loaiz starts: 7 quality, 4 winnable, 4 poor

J Garla starts: 7 quality, 3 winnable, 5 poor

S Scho starts: 5 quality, 5 winnable, 4 poor

Still don't think we need Garcia & Ortiz?

JUgger --

You're making up stats. Shoenweis, Garland and Loaiza all have 8 quality starts...

You double check your self on a few sites to see if you are correct. Not to hard. But if you are lazy you will come up with the wrong stats.

Neither of them are lazy, they probably just were looking at different stats or maybe Juggs was going off his own stats kind of.

Neither of them are lazy, they probably just were looking at different stats or maybe Juggs was going off his own stats kind of.

I meant to say in general if you go to a site that is not updated you may not realize it therefore if you do not double check yourself you may come up with the wrong stats.

After I posted that I looked at it closer, I think he's got his own values for a "quality start", Winnable start, and poor start...

I just saw schoeneweis with 5 QS's and I knew that wasn't right... He had that many by the end of April.

A Qaulity start by definition is 6IP 3ER or better, which means your ERA is 4.50 or better. That's not that great, so maybe jugger made a tougher "quality start" stat for his own use.

After I posted that I looked at it closer, I think he's got his own values for a "quality start", Winnable start, and poor start...

I just saw schoeneweis with 5 QS's and I knew that wasn't right... He had that many by the end of April.

A Qaulity start by definition is 6IP 3ER or better, which means your ERA is 4.50 or better.  That's not that great, so maybe jugger made a tougher "quality start" stat for his own use.

I am surprised an era of 4.50 is considered a quality stat like you said. Since a 4.50 is mediocre at best.

A Qaulity start by definition is 6IP 3ER or better, which means your ERA is 4.50 or better.  That's not that great, so maybe jugger made a tougher "quality start" stat for his own use.

Ya, thats what I meant by him using his own stats. I think he considers 7 innings a quality start or something along those lines.

It was either 6 innings and 2 runs or 7 innings and 3 runs to qualify for a quality start if I recall using his method.

Well, now that we're giving up Reeds and Olivos left and right.....I guess Sox kinda, sorta DO want to "win" afterall.

How about Randy Johnson, say, a month from now?    You want to beat Yankes/Red Sox? 

Unit

Garcia

Buerhle

Unit

Garcia

in a 5 game ALDS series?    Me likey.

I notice you keep bringing him up. And of course it would be wonderful. But as i'm sure you know he has a no trade clause in his contract. He's also gone on record as saying he wants to finish his career in, Arizona. He's already got his ring. So it's not like he has any extra insentive to go to a contender.

Ya, thats what I meant by him using his own stats.  I think he considers 7 innings a quality start or something along those lines.

It was either 6 innings and 2 runs or 7 innings and 3 runs to qualify for a quality start if I recall using his method.

To tell you the truth even though his way is not the correct way, i agree with it alot more than 6 innings of 3 earned runs or less.

When it comes to the back end of the rotation, I think a quality start deserves a different value, but when it comes to the front of the rotation, it should have a higher value.

Bottom line is, a quality start from your 4th and 5th is to basically keep you in the game and ocassionally win you a game, but from your frontline pitchers it is for them to go out and grab the game and win the game for ya.