ESPN 1000: Freddy Garcia traded to the White Sox

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotoworld's thoughts on the trade.

White Sox acquired RHP Freddy Garcia, catcher Ben Davis and cash from the Mariners for catcher Miguel Olivo, outfielder Jeremy Reed and infielder Mike Morse.

Reed for Garcia should have been more than enough. The White Sox are vastly overpaying by giving up their starting catcher, too. This is probably a better package than the Royals got for Carlos Beltran. We doubt Olivo will ever be anything more than an average regular, but he's young, cheap and better than the team's alternatives. Garcia is going to have to continue to pitch like an All-Star in order to come close to justifying the deal. His fantasy value drops slightly now that he's away from Safeco, but at least he should be comfortable in Chicago. His addition should force Felix Diaz back to Triple-A.

Also found this from them on possible catchers to acquire,

Davis and Jamie Burke will probably back up Sandy Alomar Jr. for now, but the White Sox figure to acquire a veteran catcher to replace Miguel Olivo. Brent Mayne and Gregg Zaun could be options. Taking a chance on Ramon Castro would be a good idea.

Rotoworld's thoughts on the trade.

White Sox acquired RHP Freddy Garcia, catcher Ben Davis and cash from the Mariners for catcher Miguel Olivo, outfielder Jeremy Reed and infielder Mike Morse.

Reed for Garcia should have been more than enough. The White Sox are vastly overpaying by giving up their starting catcher, too. This is probably a better package than the Royals got for Carlos Beltran. We doubt Olivo will ever be anything more than an average regular, but he's young, cheap and better than the team's alternatives. Garcia is going to have to continue to pitch like an All-Star in order to come close to justifying the deal. His fantasy value drops slightly now that he's away from Safeco, but at least he should be comfortable in Chicago. His addition should force Felix Diaz back to Triple-A.

It's true. Reed alone would have been plenty.

More thoughts for Ken Rosenthal of the SportingNews this time,

The heavy price that the White Sox paid for Mariners right-hander Freddy Garcia and catcher Ben Davis makes it vital that they retain Garcia, who is a free agent at the end of the season.

Miguel Olivo, an established major-league catcher at 25, is a bigger prize for the Mariners than Dodgers Class AAA catcher Koyie Hill or Yankees Class AA catcher Dioner Navarro would have been.

Class AAA center fielder Jeremy Reed, 23, is a career .334 hitter in the minors who draws frequent comparisons to A's center fielder Mark Kotsay.

Even the third player the M's acquired — Class AA shortstop Michael Morse, 22 — was considered by some White Sox officials to be a potential impact player.

The Sox have three other highly regarded outfield prospects — Joe Borchard at Class AAA and Ryan Sweeney and Brian Anderson at Class A. They recently acquired Class AAA infielder Wilson Valdez from the Marlins for reliever Billy Koch, giving them the depth to trade Morse.

But suddenly, they're relying on Sandy Alomar Jr., 38, to be their primary catcher at the major-league level, with Davis and Jamie Burke as his backups. Alomar hasn't played more than 100 games in a season since 1998.

Also found this from them on possible catchers to acquire,

Davis and Jamie Burke will probably back up Sandy Alomar Jr. for now, but the White Sox figure to acquire a veteran catcher to replace Miguel Olivo. Brent Mayne and Gregg Zaun could be options. Taking a chance on Ramon Castro would be a good idea.

Ramon Castro is from My Hometown and He f***ing Sucks

Kenny Is a f***ing Moron :fyou

The pressure to sign an extension with the White Sox will be HUGE with Ozzie looming as his Fr-in-law.  I think he'll be signed before the trade deadline.

He has to, otherwise KW will be in BIG trouble from the fans. The trade will look like Mike Morse, Jeremy Reed and Miggy Olivo for Ben Davis. Ouch. :headshake

I got a feeling KW has already been in some type of negotiations with Garcia. Their is something he isn't telling us cause KW seems to have a real odd smirk on his face. Something else is gonna go down and I think Garcia will be here.

All I know is this, give me Garcia, Jones, Cruz here for the next year years and i'll be happy. The Sox also get Ortiz who can really push this staff over the top and probably let him walk and get the same compensation they would of gotten for Maggs walking, but now they have a future CF, a good young pitcher in Cruz and of course Freddy and this team is looking damn good now and in a few years.

He has to, otherwise KW will be in BIG trouble from the fans. The trade will look like Mike Morse, Jeremy Reed and Miggy Olivo for Ben Davis. Ouch.  :headshake

There are countless stories about the Father of the bride wanting the groom to come work for him. That's usually what the groom does. Imagine the wedding taking place w/out the Garcia's being members of the White Sox. Ozzie would never stop talking!

Done deal. Garcia's our current+future ace. Ozzie's a pretty intimidating presence.

Before yesterday I thought we would white flag this season, now I am thinking playoffs. I was pissed we did not resign Colon and felt this season would be painful so I have nothing to say. Colon was blasted again today.

Remember in the offseason when KW stated he would make his moves in season. Well I am happy with this one. At first I did not like giving up Olivo what the hell.

Before yesterday I thought we would white flag this season, now I am thinking playoffs.  I was pissed we did not resign Colon and felt this season would be painful so I have nothing to say.  Colon was blasted again today.

Remember in the offseason when KW stated he would make his moves in season.  Well I am happy with this one.  At first I did not like giving up Olivo what the hell.

I know how you were feeling.

I just want to chime in on my opinion of the trade. I will admit, the first thing I thought when I heard that the Sox traded away Olivo was that I hated the trade. I really believe that Olivo has all the talent in the world. But, as I thought about it and heard some comments that KW made, I grew to like the trade. KW made a great point, the Sox have a better chance of winning something big with Garcia on the roster as opposed to Olivo. Olivo is still developing and will need a few more years before he reaches his full potential. By then, the Sox chances of winning might have flown by. Frank could be retired. Konerko might be gone. Maggs may be gone. The team may have fundamentally changed to a point where a World Series is not longer in view. But this season…. With this offense…. We can do it! We needed a pitcher. We needed one badly. By getting Garcia, we are in a PRIME position to make a run at this thing. It hurts to see Olivo go, but I understand why he is gone. He is gone to give Chicago something it hasn’t seen in almost 90 years…. A World Series Champion!