music

hi8is

you're nuts animal collective and wolf parade are the bee's knees.

Hey dylan and/or DePloderer, do you know how the Waits cd set is ordered? Is it somewhat chronological or anything, or is it strictly a sort of theme, and i'm missing it. That said: Fish in the Jailhouse

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 06:31 PM)
Hey dylan and/or DePloderer, do you know how the Waits cd set is ordered? Is it somewhat chronological or anything, or is it strictly a sort of theme, and i'm missing it. That said: Fish in the Jailhouse

Tom Waits, the great American performer and songwriter, releases a 3CD set titled "Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards" on Monday 20th November 2006. It's a wide-ranging collection of 54 songs - including 30 new recordings – equaling over three hours of rare and never-before heard music. The set comes complete with a 94-page booklet.

Each of the three CDs is separately grouped and sub-titled - "Brawlers", "Bawlers" and "Bastards" – to capture the full spectrum of Waits' ranging and roving musical styles. "Brawlers" is chock full of raucous blues and full-throated juke joint stomp; "Bawlers" comprises Celtic and country ballads, waltzes, lullabies, piano and classic lyrical Waits' songs while "Bastards" is filled with experimental music and strange tales. In addition to the new work, "Orphans" features a number of songs originally recorded for the cinema, the theatre and other projects but which now find a home on a Waits' album for the first time. They include his unique interpretations of songs by such extraordinarily diverse talents as The Ramones, Daniel Johnston, Kurt Weill & Bertolt Brecht, Leadbelly and Jack Kerouac.

Tom Waits and Kathleen Brennan, his wife and long time collaborator, again produced "Orphans", his first release since 2004's much-lauded "Real Gone". Waits and Brennan were recently named number four in a list of the "100 Best Living Songwriters" published by America's Paste magazine. "In literature only a handful of writers have pulled off the near impossible. In music, it happens on every Tom Waits recording," said the magazine.

There you go then.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 04:14 PM)
I'm not a fan of Tom Waits' stuff, but I respect the hell out of him.

That said, let me shill my band's myspace page. We're LA-based and called ROCKPAPERSCISSORS.

myspace.com/rpsmusic

I'm guessing you're Kjell? I actually kinda enjoyed "Wanna Make Out" thanks man. Good Song.

Holy Cr@p, Lewis Taylor is amazing!! :o :notworthy :britishflag:

I'd heard snippets here and there, and seen where Bowie, Elton John, Jools Holand, etc., give him high praise, but now that I'm actually seeking the stuff out I can see what all the noise is about..

And then just when I think I've got a handle on his stuff, Irun across this psychedelic Sheriff Jack stuff from the 80s and it turns out that's him too!

And to top it off, i just found a handful of unreleased Trout Mask Replica covers from a project he'll apparently never get around to finishing and they are also cool as hell.

How did this guy never catch on in the states?!??

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
It makes me pretty jealous. I wish I could've walked through my high school knowing that I was a rock star.

and be as big of douche bags as those kids are guaranteed to be.... you know those high school kids who get drafted to the NBA and turn out to be thugs? same principle. High school kids can't handle fame. Especially Rock Star fame.

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 10:11 AM)
and be as big of douche bags as those kids are guaranteed to be.... you know those high school kids who get drafted to the NBA and turn out to be thugs? same principle. High school kids can't handle fame. Especially Rock Star fame.

i"ve actually heard the exact opposite about these kids.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 06:48 AM)
And to top it off, i just found a handful of unreleased Trout Mask Replica covers from a project he'll apparently never get around to finishing and they are also cool as hell.

that just sounds like a bad idea to me.

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
that just sounds like a bad idea to me.

He may have decided the same thing, from a commercial standpoint, but the tracks are really good. Most of the Beefheart and Mascara Snake sax and bass clarinet lines are done by taylor on guitar, and a lot of the coolZoot Horn Rollow guitar work – the crunchy stuff and the slide stuff – is also done nicely by him on these tracks.

The cool thing about them is that Taylor sings the songs in his own voice and often with his own phrasing variations, so he's not trying to growl out a Beefheart imitation.

Anyway, if it's really true that Lewis Taylor actually retired from music this year (pretty much just as I'm discovering him), the 13 finished Replica tracks are going to likely become more important as raruty fan favorites than they would have if an album was actually released.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
Naked Raygun just did two songs on Q101's Crash Test Radio.

"Vanilla Blue" and "Home Of The Brave".

I am marking out like a fool!!! They still bring it like they always did!!!

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

i was driving home from practice tonight and found an old mix cd, and threw it on. It was all naked raygun/husker du/replacements, Naked Raygun might be getting back togeather to do more shows they recently played riot fest, so one can only hope :headbang