music

hi8is

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
Man, my daughter would FREAK if I got her tickets to see Cheetah Girls. I, on the other hand, would probably have to seriously consider suicide before going to see that.

Saw my first show when I was 10...or 11...it was Cheap Trick.

I was 13.

Kiss.

Alive II tour.

Chicago Stadium.

I was a major Kiss geek, member of the Kiss Army, all that crap.

I thought they were great.

Except "Beth".....HATED "Beth"....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(danman31 @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
It's the 5th and I just got my ticket. I hadn't heard of them until a few months ago but a few of my friends are big fans.

yeah that was from the original press release, musta been wrong. Mojo's is great...didn't realize another person was going to mizzou besides maggsmaggs and me

Bought my daughter an MP3 player for Christmas, so I am sitting here finding songs to put on it for her as I teach her the finer things in music. Heh, her mom is going to kill me for some of it. She'll probably be the only kid in her school with the Sex Pistols on hers, and to make her doubly cool, it's the studio version of "Did You No Wrong", such a great song that is. Easily the best Pistols ever did.

So far:

1. Surrender - Cheap Trick (she fell in love with it due to hearing it in Daddy Day Care, then she was shocked to find out I had the song)

2. Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself

3. Tones On Tail - GO! (club mix)

4. Sex Pistols - Did You No Wrong

5. The Clash - London Calling (played them for her before, but the song is featured in What A Girl Wants...so same effect as Surrender)

6. Smokey and The Miracles - Tears Of A Clown

I plan to give her a folder of about 20 "great" songs.

Giving the new Explosions in the Sky a second listen through as we speak. Like the album, but still they can't get over the "Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever" hump. One day I hope it happens for them, 'cause that was a great album and they're loaded with potential.

I'm a music major so I appreciate all kinds of music. Now, appreciate is different than enjoy. I hate country music. I hate it because there are two different kinds of songs for country music: fast with lots of guitar, and slow with lots of sappy lyrics. You can put any country song in that catagory. I just can't seem to find any country song that I enjoy.

My favorite kind of music depends on the situation. I like Hip Hop & R&B during a party, classic rock when I'm driving, and classical (yes, instrumentals) when I'm just chillin by myself. Music is good.

Time signatures are simple, unless you really want to get into it. Here's a crash course.

Almost all songs on the radio are in 4/4 time. That's 4 beats in a mearure (4)/4 and a quarter note gets one beat 4/(4).

A waltz is in 3/4. Thats 3 notes in a masure (3)/4 and a quarter note gets one beat 3/(4)

An example of this would be Billy Joel's Piano Man

2/4 is basically when it is a slow 4/4 song and it doesn't make sense to conduct it in 4/4.

Those are your 3 basic time signatures.

I'm in a definate minority here I'm sure, but right now I can't get enough of "A Beautiful Lie" by 30 Seconds to Mars. The track "From Yesterday" had me hooked from day one, before it hit the airwaves. I think the Leto brothers, and their pals made a great disc last year, one I listen to alot.

Anybody who is into the Blues (both of the Chicago style and of the old Delta style) or the great Motown style of R&B needs to check out Willie Phoenix:

http://www.williephoenix.com/

His first album is more straight Blues, while the second dips into late 60's sounding Motown. The guy is killer, and he has a new one about to be released. Check him out if you get the need for some great tunes!

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Dec 21, 2006 -> 03:20 AM)
Anybody who is into the Blues (both of the Chicago style and of the old Delta style) or the great Motown style of R&B needs to check out Willie Phoenix:

http://www.williephoenix.com/

His first album is more straight Blues, while the second dips into late 60's sounding Motown. The guy is killer, and he has a new one about to be released. Check him out if you get the need for some great tunes!

tight, thank you.

Dallas Green, lead singer of alexisonfire, did a solo project last year under the name "City and Colour" named "Sometimes"

Outstanding IMO if you just want to hear a guy and his acoustic guitar, that can really sing, andd hear music in its simplest form. Check it out if you get the chance.