What happened between JR and Boras?

black jack

The ARod crap was Boras telling Jerry that the deal was done and then less than 24 hours later sealing the deal with Texas. Hicks was pissed also because Boras told him the Sox had outbid him - which is why the Rangers came back with an offer $15 million over the standing offer (which was Hicks offer anyway). The Sox never offered more than a 4 year deal for ARod, and Boras made the Sox believe that was good enough.

The ARod crap was Boras telling Jerry that the deal was done and then less than 24 hours later sealing the deal with Texas. Hicks was pissed also because Boras told him the Sox had outbid him - which is why the Rangers came back with an offer $15 million over the standing offer (which was Hicks offer anyway). The Sox never offered more than a 4 year deal for ARod, and Boras made the Sox believe that was good enough.

The league doesn't crack down on that crap?

There is a subtle difference between lying and allowing a team to think there are other offers on the table. It is called negotiating. Those that do it well, and Boras does, win most of the time. Similar to a bluff in poker.

Crack down on what?

Negotiating contracts.

He bluffed and the Rangers bought it.

Should they crack down if a GM says: "Ive got a few offers for my player" when really there are none?

Judging the market is part of the game.

(Edit)

Damn Rex posted like the same thing while I was typing.

SB

What could Bud Selig authorize to prevent this? He wouldn't f*** with agents. I guarantee the players association wouldn't be too fond of bargaining practices being undermined. All Boras gave JR was his word, and it's a shame that doesn't hold much value in the business of sports, but nothing is final until the dotted line is signed. Hicks is the one who panicked and threw a ridiculous amount of cash in front of A-Rod; Boras did his job.

It would be easier to ignore him if he weren't representing the best players in the league. Sometimes it seems he's the only damn agent in baseball.

Drew Rosenhaus is the Scott Boras of football.

I actually think the Posten brothers are the Boras of football. That whole Winslow contract thing didn't go over well, and there are teams that won't deal with them. But that's besides the point. I don't have a problem with telling people that another team has made an offer(real or not), but if he really told JR to his face that 4 years would be good enough and that the deal was pretty much done, that's bulls***. Lying to an owner/GM is a quick way to lose credibility.