As much as Valentin has to go...

farmteam

I'm talking about the trade 5 years ago. Jamie Navarro and John Snyder to the Breweers for Cal Eldred and Jose Valentin.

How much did Navarro and Snyder do for Milwaukee? Jack squat.

But Eldred and Valentin were both integral parts of the 2000 team, and Valentin has been a focal point until this season.

As much as Valentin has tailed off, I think it's funny to look at this trade and see how much Schueler robbed the Brewers.

I remember the game when he hit for the cycle.

THAT was exciting!  :headbang

He almost hit for 2 cycles that year IIRC...like within a month of each other. I think he hit for the cycle in like April, and then in May he had like a double, triple, and homer in the same game, but no single.

Let me see if I am actually thinking correctly here or if I am just being a dummy... :D

EDIT: The first was on April 27, and the almost second was exactly one month later, May 27.

I can't post links to the actual game, so just go to RetroSheet, click on boxscores on the LH column, click on 2000, and then find April and May 27 and you'll be there.

Edited by witesoxfan

Did we get anything for Eldred?

He'd have been a decent 5th starter for us last season.

Eldred was done when we released him I think, I'm still shocked he's pitching in the playoffs for the Cards myself. And no he wouldn't have been a good 5th starter, he would have been a stopgap solution, that probably would have been hammered at the Cell.

Eldred was done when we released him I think, I'm still shocked he's pitching in the playoffs for the Cards myself. And no he wouldn't have been a good 5th starter, he would have been a stopgap solution, that probably would have been hammered at the Cell.

I disagree.

Look at the crap we threw out there as our 5th starter(s)...there is NO WAY Eldred would have done worse. Impossible.

I disagree.

Look at the crap we threw out there as our 5th starter(s)...there is NO WAY Eldred would have done worse. Impossible.

So you're saying you'd rather have Eldred pitching as the 5th starter, while Felix Diaz and Jason Grilli would still be down at Charlotte. Those 2 still have a future with the Sox, Eldred would not. It's not like Eldred would have been the difference between us making the playoffs or anything.

I disagree.

His arm can't hold up to the innings it'd take to be a starter, that's why he's a reliever these days.

He took at least a year off when his elbow gave out and the screws had to be inserted.

He was offered a chance to come back to the White Sox but he was always a Cardinal fan growing up in Iowa and arranged to get a chance with St. Louis.

The rest is history. But I'm sure it's all Reinsdorf's fault :lol:

So you're saying you'd rather have Eldred pitching as the 5th starter, while Felix Diaz and Jason Grilli would still be down at Charlotte. Those 2 still have a future with the Sox, Eldred would not. It's not like Eldred would have been the difference between us making the playoffs or anything.

If we had a .500 record from our 5th starter slot, what would our W/L record have been?

It might have been good enough to make the playoffs.

IMO, right now, today, Eldred is better than Grilli or Diaz. If I needed a win (or even a quality start) today, and could only choose from Eldred, Grilli or Diaz, I'd have to go with Cal.