Daily Southtown Article

CWSOX45

At the deadline, AZ said just to START a deal, Rowand and Garland would have to be in the deal, no questions asked. That price would come down a little, based on just 1 more year for RJ, and it was in the heat of the deadline. But I think you UNDERestimate what RJ would command.

I agree, people are acting like RJ would come virtually for free. There's no way the Arizona will take trash for him, and there will be a bidding war if he's on the block. I remember the same article about AZ wanting Rowand. And I'm sure it would be the same now. If AZ trades RJ, they'll be rebuilding. I don't see them wanting Lee or Konerko, who both have big contracts. Maybe not even Garland, if he's too close to free agency. I think they'd ask for a package along the lines of Rowand, Crede, and McCarthy/Anderson. Would people be willing to that?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With this in mind, I could really see this being a possible trade for them:

Konerko + Crede + Diaz and/or Munoz + Low Level Prospect (PTBNL) for Johnson, with us eating all of RJ's contract, them eat Konerko's (if that makes any sense).

I know there's a chance that Kenny can get burned on a deal like this, but think of all the plus sides.  Season ticket sales would go pretty high after a deal like this; plus, we'd finally have a true ace on this team.  Not a number one/two guy, a real stopper.  Hell, Buehrle as your number three?  That's f***in' awesome.

A couple untouchables (IMHO) in (besides the obvious guys) Lee, Rowand, McCarthy, Anderson, and Sweeney. 

Damn, this is gonna be won fun offseason.

I like the trade...but I don't think Arizona makes it. They are getting a .270 hitter with 30-40 homer power at 1B(when they could pretty much just resign Sexson and get the same thing, maybe more), a 3Bman who has not hit .250 in either of the two seasons he's been at the major league level, and then two decent prospects who may(or may not) become good.

I just think Garland has to be in the package to make the trade. I don't think Arizona would take anything less. Like I said before...what's stopping New York from trading Posada, Vazquez, a prospect, eating their entire salaries plus kicking in quite a bit of cash for RJ? Would you take Posada and Vazquez(for free), a decent prospect, plus money for RJ, or would you take Konerko, Crede, plus 3 prospects while having to take on all of Konerko's contract?

You have to consider those kinds of things. Getting RJ will not be cheap...and I have no doubt in my mind that it will take atleast Garland and Konerko/Lee to get him, and probably more.

I like the trade...but I don't think Arizona makes it.  They are getting a .270 hitter with 30-40 homer power at 1B(when they could pretty much just resign Sexson and get the same thing, maybe more), a 3Bman who has not hit .250 in either of the two seasons he's been at the major league level, and then two decent prospects who may(or may not) become good.

I just think Garland has to be in the package to make the trade.  I don't think Arizona would take anything less.  Like I said before...what's stopping New York from trading Posada, Vazquez, a prospect, eating their entire salaries plus kicking in quite a bit of cash for RJ?  Would you take Posada and Vazquez(for free), a decent prospect, plus money for RJ, or would you take Konerko, Crede, plus 3 prospects while having to take on all of Konerko's contract?

You have to consider those kinds of things.  Getting RJ will not be cheap...and I have no doubt in my mind that it will take atleast Garland and Konerko/Lee to get him, and probably more.

There's no way the Yankees do that. Posada in particular isn't going anywhere.

I want a championship and Randy Johnson brings us closer to one than keeping Brandon McCarthy or Ryan Sweeney.

The Sox could prob. make a trade for RJ w/o trading away keys to their future, like Sweeney, et al. The key is do the sox have guys Ari. would want that also don't fit in the sox long term plan? this was the thinking w/ the Garcia for Olivo and reed deal. Who do the sox have that may be to the D-backs liking? I'd say only Lee [a big bat, signed for 2 yrs] or Garland [young SP, relatively inexpensive, and a proven innings eater] fit that description.

I could see the D-Backs wanting Lee and Crede (believe Shea Hillenbrand is a FA this offseason, correct me if I'm wrong). You throw in one of Cotts or Adkins and a prospect not name McCarthy, Anderson or Sweeney, and you could be on to something. And just say NO to Eric Milton, like the old slogan "Just say NO to Roger Cedeno". ;)

Milton scares me for two reasons. On one hand, he's inconsistent and probably not the best fit for us on the market.

But more importantly, because I couldn't handle all the "Milton-Buerhle" puns that no one under 70 gets...and no one over 70 thinks is funny.

Just a thought, but why is it everyone seems to think we would have to give up half our players to get RJ from Arizona? They don't want him, and financially he is an albatros to them, so the buyers should be in the better bargining position, not the desperate seller. Isn't he only signed for 1 more year? All this talk about Lee, Crede, prospects, etc just seems overblown. Lets trade them 2 position players, a relief pitcher and a stud prospect, for 1 pitcher, with a year who makes more money that all of them combined. Yeah, that sounds smart.

I can't wait for the offseason to get here. Trading for rj would be simply amazing, I have no clue what it would take to get him but I guarantee we'd be able to outbid the yankees. I'm going to try and not take any of these articles that seriously because so far there have been sources saying the sox are going after a legitimate top of the rotation guy and there have been sources that say they're happy with grilli as their 5th. Personally, I'm almost positive kw is going to go after a top of the rotation guy. This offseason should be real exciting, I can't wait.........

Luis Gonzalez is coming back, and the D'Backs are going to try and re-sign Steve Finley.

They will still suck, they were both on the team for more than half the year and they were horrible in that time frame. Even if they sign sexson i don't think he will make a dramatic difference on their overall record.

They will still suck, they were both on the team for more than half the year and they were horrible in that time frame. Even if they sign sexson i don't think he will make a dramatic difference on their overall record.

And if they have Johnson, they'll still suck. So why not trade Johnson for a productive first baseman who went to high school in the area, and lives there in the offseason along with 2 or 3 other players that you'll control for the next few years?

:pray Please get Randy Johnson for the 2005 season KW.

And if they have Johnson, they'll still suck. So why not trade Johnson for a productive first baseman who went to high school in the area, and lives there in the offseason along with 2 or 3 other players that you'll control for the next few years? 

:pray Please get Randy Johnson for the 2005 season KW.

I agree, i just have a really bad feeling about kw giving up a ridiculous amount of talent for a 41 year old pitcher that has one year left of his contract.

My gut feeling is that it will be a Lee/Garland for Johnson trade. At least on a basic level. There may be other players thrown in from both sides. Then I see 'Zona moving Lee for a couple of good young players. With 'Zona's new ownership, I believe they are tearing down to rebuild and attempt to put a longtime player developement system in place and get away from the high priced free agents as they've done in the past. I doubt Johnson is a DBack on opening day.

My gut feeling is that it will be a Lee/Garland for Johnson trade.  At least on a basic level.  There may be other players thrown in from both sides.  Then I see 'Zona moving Lee for a couple of good young players.  With 'Zona's new ownership, I believe they are tearing down to rebuild and attempt to put a longtime player developement system in place and get away from the high priced free agents as they've done in the past.  I doubt Johnson is a DBack on opening day.

Well, I guess you and I just think alike.

I do not know what Zona would do with Lee after they receieved him, but quite frankly, I do not care.

Richie Sexson could become an important part of this deal, even though he wouldn't be directly involved. If he leaves the D-Backs, suddenly Arizona could want Konerko to replace him instead of Lee. This way, if we move Konerko, Gload gets into the lineup.

Richie Sexson could become an important part of this deal, even though he wouldn't be directly involved. If he leaves the D-Backs, suddenly Arizona could want Konerko to replace him instead of Lee. This way, if we move Konerko, Gload gets into the lineup.

That's how I see it too. What other teams would be interested in signing Sexson?

Dodgers?

Mets?

Orioles?

Giants?

I'm hoping Sexson doesn't re-sign with the D'Backs leaving a window open for a possible Konerko to Arizona deal. ;)

Here's a crazy ass idea.

Say Sexson does leave Arizona. Do they accept a Lee and Konerko plus prospects for RJ trade? For us, losing Lee and Konerko and adding RJ is essentially even money, with us taking on like $1.5 mill. Zona can then trade Lee to another team for a solid group of players, while they put Konerko at 1B. We then have Gload at 1B, we go out and get 2 OFers(one of whom I would like to be Jose Guillen, but others would argue), and probably Vizquel too, while maybe adding a reliever too(say Percival).

Not sure how that adds up payroll wise, but a rotation of RJ-Garcia-Buehrle-Contreras-Garland is sick.

Basically what I'm asking, is giving up Lee and Konerko too much for RJ?

Yes. Jose Guillen is going to cost a few more players as well and I don't buy this theory of shelling out big buck for relievers.

Only get RJ if it will only cost us either Konerko or Lee, with a couple of minor leaguers (hopefully not Bmac. :angry: )

Here's a crazy ass idea.

Say Sexson does leave Arizona.  Do they accept a Lee and Konerko plus prospects for RJ trade?  For us, losing Lee and Konerko and adding RJ is essentially even money, with us taking on like $1.5 mill.  Zona can then trade Lee to another team for a solid group of players, while they put Konerko at 1B.  We then have Gload at 1B, we go out and get 2 OFers(one of whom I would like to be Jose Guillen, but others would argue), and probably Vizquel too, while maybe adding a reliever too(say Percival). 

Not sure how that adds up payroll wise, but a rotation of RJ-Garcia-Buehrle-Contreras-Garland is sick.

Yes, that's definitely too much. The only way I would give Lee AND Konerko, was if it was a 3 team deal and we got either a replacement for Lee or a setup / closer guy to add to the deal.

After watching Adkins and Cotts for a season, I think both of those guys are more than capable of stepping up into those spots.  They both had quality seasons.  Both obviously went through dead arms in Sept, but if we don't end up signing more pen arms, it wouldn't upset me nearly as much as other positions.

What happened to Cotts becoming a starter for 2005? Has this idea been abandoned?