Bruce Levine talks about the Sox on Comcast

santo=dorf

He said the Sox top priority is a SS who is the top of the order guy. He brought up Vizquel and how he is a native Venezuelan. He said John Hart of the Rangers is looking at Omar because he used to be the GM back in Cleveland.

He said the Sox also looking for another ace for the pitching staff. One of the other guys on the panel talks about how the Sox don't have money to spend with the contract they have with Freddy and Contreras. Bruce Levine then mention how Magglio's $14 million contract is coming off of the books, and he didn't say anything about that $14 million is being used to pay Freddy and Jose. He says the Sox will look at Russ Ortiz and Carl Pavano (because of his ties with Ozzie and how Pavano has mentioned that he doesn't want to play for the Yanks.) He also said that Derek Lowe's agent is Scott Boras.

I was really surprised that Levine didn't say Magglio's money was already spent. :headbang

Dare I say JR is committed to winning big next year by increasing the payroll? :pray

I was really surprised that Levine didn't say Magglio's money was already spent.  :headbang 

Dare I say JR is committed to winning big next year by increasing the payroll?  :pray

Contreras/Garcia's salaries will be paid with the 14 million left by Maggs departure. It's no coincidence both salaries round out to about that price.

I wouldn't count on JR raising payroll because of something Levine didn't say.

First of all, the sox will probably raise payroll if they get the right guy. They have done this in the past and will do it again. Secondly, valentin is off the books which frees up 5 million. In addition, everyone is also assuming they won't trade anybody to offset signings. The whitesox could easily raise payroll this year if the right guys are out there knowing full well, that valentin is gone, and konerko and Everett will be off the books next year. Its not status quo, they will not go out and spend like nuts, but if pavano says he wants to play here and same with visqual then they will get it done. Trouble is I don't think Pavano is saying that.Nor do I think there are many that are saying they want to play here.

i swear people make 2 much of a deal about the AL and the NL... 1 batter isnt going to make an extreme change of a pitcher... yeah being in the NL will help you get in extra K and an easy out but its only 1 batter... and most DH's arent amazing hitters... the only ones that were really good this year was hafner and ortiz

As much as i'd like an "ace" I also don't want to be a fan of a team that has pitchers that give us quality starts every time out but we still lose because we have no consistant offense.

I'd much rather have a solid #3 and a decent RF/CF and setup man then one "ace" pitcher.

Then again if JR hits his head and increases the payroll to 100 million that would be cool too :lol:

i swear people make 2 much of a deal about the AL and the NL... 1 batter isnt going to make an extreme change of a pitcher... yeah being in the NL will help you get in extra K and an easy out but its only 1 batter... and most DH's arent amazing hitters... the only ones that were really good this year was hafner and ortiz

People don't make a big enough deal about it, imo. It's just not one batter it affects the whole lineup. Great pitchers are going to pitch great in either league but the pitchers who might be solid in the nl might get killed in the al, see Jeff Suppan and Javier Vazquez. Ortiz because of his walks would get absolutely smashed in the al, imo.

Ortiz does scare me because of all his walks and the fact that he is a fly big time fly ball pitcher. Coming to the a.l. wouldn't help either, but another thing to factor in is the last four years his era has gone up while his walks have gone up and his g/f ratio this past year was 1.10.