Kenny Williams

fathom

I'm sincerely hoping that teams, players, and agents dont get all their news from newspaper reports.  You guys defending KW don't think that Omar's agent was able to go back and forth with each team and tell them what the other was offering?  It's not like this was a silent auction.

You are exactly right. KW needs to be quiet, either that or come up with a couple more million deferred if Vizquel was "the top of the mountain" he claimed. Any agent worth his salt is going to be working his butt off to get the best offer. KW talking about flying below the radar, then who in the organization is spreading all this information around? A couple of articles say the Sox would have approximately the same budget as last season, and they give KW as the source of that information. How come the White Sox are the only professional sports organization whose budget is known to the public before the offseason player movement begins? And his quote about Boras' thought on his client's worth..........as dumb as can be. What's Boras supposed to claim his clients are worth, especially at the start of the signing period? All KW's quote does is turns fans off, and gets all White Sox talk beginning with budget and money again. This guy needs to be replaced by someone a bit more professional, and a bit more composed.

Actually in general I think the Sox are one of the better teams in staying under the radar. 

And I do think Kenny in a sense could point a finger at this, but at the same time, the organization didn't stay too quite about it either.  Not necessarily his fault, but it happened.

You gotta be kidding me, KW is always mouthing off to the press and acting like a big shot. How can you say we are good org at keeping things in. Schueler was bad too. They both also take pot-shots at guys we trade or get rid of. KW is a moron.

You gotta be kidding me, KW is always mouthing off to the press and acting like a big shot. How can you say we are good org at keeping things in. Schueler was bad too. They both also take pot-shots at guys we trade or get rid of. KW is a moron.

Alot of the deals you never see coming when he actually does them. Contreras? Everyone knew he'd like him, but didn't see a deal coming then. Koch? Same. Etc.

I would rather have Uribe at short than Omar.

Agreed. Uribe is a young buck who can play that position for years and with a little more work be a solid lead off man. Vizquel is overpriced and old. They were right to pass on him. Spend the damn money on a quality starter and whatever you do dont trade Paulie.

Kenny Williams has been in over his head since Day 1.

We can only hope he keeps more of those Botch and Ritchie deals hush-hush..... don't wanna get in a bidding war for those types of studs  :rolly 

Hasn't this been over time and time again? I can understand everyone hating the Koch deal and blaming KW for that, but it did land us Cotts. The Ritchie deal was not ever KWs I have seen many a time where Schuler takes complete credit for that move.

Kenny Williams has been in over his head since Day 1.

We can only hope he keeps more of those Botch and Ritchie deals hush-hush..... don't wanna get in a bidding war for those types of studs  :rolly 

He is JR cronie only reason he ever got job alot like DJ in booth .

Hasn't this been over time and time again? I can understand everyone hating the Koch deal and blaming KW for that, but it did land us Cotts. The Ritchie deal was not ever KWs I have seen many a time where Schuler takes complete credit for that move.

KW was the GM at the time of the Ritchie trade. The decision was, ultimately, KW's..... regardless of if Schueler had any input on it or not.

And you're right..... Cotts more than makes up for the Botch/Foulke trade :rolly

KW was the GM at the time of the Ritchie trade. The decision was, ultimately, KW's..... regardless of if Schueler had any input on it or not.

And you're right..... Cotts more than makes up for the Botch/Foulke trade  :rolly

Blame whomever you want, it really doesn't matter.

Fact is, Schueler has come out and said he was the one who initiated the trade, recommended Ritchie, and felt the Sox could "fix" his delivery. KW is to blame for pulling the trigger but there is plenty of blame to go around.

I realize it's fashionable to bash Williams and Reinsdorf on this site, over and over and over and over again.

Understand that Reinsdorf owns a small % of the team, he couldn't sell it if he wanted to. He's the Chairman and he carries out the investors wishes. That whole investment group should be brought out into the light of day and taken to task for their often short-sighted philosophies IMO.

As for Williams, to me this is his make or break year. Some people think he inherited a dynasty, he didn't. Some people think he trashed a rich farm system, he didn't. That's bulls*** plain and simple. Just because Baseball America said it's a great farm system doesn't make it so. I have the Prospect Handbook from that year in my den and I can tell you with assurance that most of those so called studs were in fact duds.

I'm not defending KW or Reinsdorf but some of this one sided blind bashing is just a case of "let's come onto SoxTalk and take out our White Sox frustrations". Certainly everyone's right to do so, but also mine to present what I feel is a more balanced view of the whole situation.

Rant over. :lol:

Fact is, Schueler has come out and said he was the one who initiated the trade, recommended Ritchie, and felt the Sox could "fix" his delivery.  KW is to blame for pulling the trigger but there is plenty of blame to go around.

I realize it's fashionable to bash Williams and Reinsdorf on this site, over and over and over and over again.

Understand that Reinsdorf owns a small % of the team, he couldn't sell it if he wanted to.  He's the Chairman and he carries out the investors wishes.  That whole investment group should be brought out into the light of day and taken to task for their often short-sighted philosophies IMO.

As for Williams, to me this is his make or break year.  Some people think he inherited a dynasty, he didn't.  Some people think he trashed a rich farm system, he didn't.  That's bulls*** plain and simple.  Just because Baseball America said it's a great farm system doesn't make it so.  I have the Prospect Handbook from that year in my den and I can tell you with assurance that most of those so called studs were in fact duds.

I'm not defending KW or Reinsdorf but some of this one sided blind bashing is just a case of "let's come onto SoxTalk and take out our White Sox frustrations".  Certainly everyone's right to do so, but also mine to present what I feel is a more balanced view of the whole situation.

I've long said look at the guys the Sox have dealt and in most instances you can see they never lived up to the so called potential.

BA overhyped the Sox and gave all of us much higher expectations then should of been from that minor league class. Some of the dissapointment resulted from injuries to guys like Barcelo and Rauch as well as the major bust named Joe Borchard. Kip Wells would pan out and he was one of the few but he's not great yet.

BA does that a lot though.

Fact is, Schueler has come out and said he was the one who initiated the trade, recommended Ritchie, and felt the Sox could "fix" his delivery.  KW is to blame for pulling the trigger but there is plenty of blame to go around.

Understand that Reinsdorf owns a small % of the team, he couldn't sell it if he wanted to.  He's the Chairman and he carries out the investors wishes.  That whole investment group should be brought out into the light of day and taken to task for their often short-sighted philosophies IMO.

As for Williams, to me this is his make or break year.  Some people think he inherited a dynasty, he didn't.  Some people think he trashed a rich farm system, he didn't.  That's bulls*** plain and simple.  Just because Baseball America said it's a great farm system doesn't make it so.  I have the Prospect Handbook from that year in my den and I can tell you with assurance that most of those so called studs were in fact duds.

I'm not defending KW or Reinsdorf but some of this one sided blind bashing is just a case of "let's come onto SoxTalk and take out our White Sox frustrations".  Certainly everyone's right to do so, but also mine to present what I feel is a more balanced view of the whole situation.

You are right about the farm system. But who was there taking all the credit when the Sox farm system was erroneously ranked #1? Farm director Kenny Williams. I'm sure that ranking has at least a little to do with the job title he now holds. I applaude KW's effort, but results count. The results haven't been there and his mouth continues to run causing this team pr headaches.

You are right about the farm system. But who was there taking all the credit when the Sox farm system was erroneously ranked #1? Farm director Kenny Williams. I'm sure that ranking has at least a little to do with the job title he now holds. I applaude KW's effort, but results count. The results haven't been there and his mouth continues to run causing this team pr headaches.

Can't argue with this one bit.

They need to get more out of the farm system, and they haven't. In '99 they took 14 pitchers out of the first 15 picks and Schueler was talking about how well stocked they were for arms ... to anyone and everyone who'd listen and quite smugly as I recall.

But yeah, those drafts were on Williams' watch even though Duane Shaffer is a lifer down there and he's really in charge of the drafts. Williams fingerprints are all over the Borchard draft with the Stanford connection and all.

They're not alone in picking the wrong guys in the draft, and certainly more don't pan out than do. But, I'm not giving KW a free pass. After all, he was the scouting director and now he's the GM ... his fingerprints are all over whatever failures and success this team has.