Baines and Maggs

Texsox

Way back when some of y'all were in diapers the Sox retired #3 Harold Baines number. This was in 1989 after 10 seasons with the White Sox. As y'all know, Baines went on to play 13 more seasons, including a couple more stints with the Sox.

A quick, estimates of the numbers comparing Maggs and Baines. Interesting that it is knee troubles that seemingly having both players exiting the Sox.

Baines 1300 games, 700 RBI, 190 HR, 800 RBI, .300 AVG (6yrs OF 4yrs DH)

Maggs 1001 games, 624 RBI, 187 HR, 700 RBI, .307 AVG (8 yrs OF)

Great summary of Baines career

Edited by Texsox

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I heard about Harold from different announcers, commentators and publications was that before his knee problems relegated him to full time DH duty, that he was one of the best defensive right fielders in the game. Maybe one of the older posters (I started following the Sox after '83) can give a more detailed account.

I love Maggs but I wouldn't retire his jersey if

he leaves us.

Modern baseball means players and agents screw

fans and teams.

So screw them back.

Don't retire his uni.

And I do love Maggs.

Agreed. Respect what he's done for this organization as far as busting his ass on the field day in and day out. Don't give a crap what money issues and lies he's done off the field, I will always respect Maggs and what he's accomplished in a white sox uni.

Yeah I can't see how anybody would want to retire #30. There are probably some (morons) hesitant to retire #35. Like I said, Maggs was great. Much the way Jack McDowell was great. But it doesn't mean that you hang their jersey

I'd hang Black Jack's jersey. They ran him out of town via trade, he didn't do what Mags is doing.

From what I heard about Harold from different announcers, commentators and publications was that before his knee problems relegated him to full time DH duty, that he was one of the best defensive right fielders in the game.  Maybe one of the older posters (I started following the Sox after '83) can give a more detailed account.

He was steady, had good range and had a very good arm. I wouldn't put him up there with the best, but just at the next lower level. Maybe when both were at their very healthiest, Baines was a hair better than Maggs defensively. They really are very similar players, although Maggs speaks English more often.[

Neither Black Jack or maggs deserve that honor.  That should be reserved for the best of the best.  Number 35 qualifies.

Amen to that. It should be automatic, wthout any discussion at this point. I would suggest doing it at his last game, I doubt he'll ver return to the old ballpark, aka #72

Yeah, he threw at the first pitch at opening day last year, didn't he?

Could be... we tailgated pretty good before openning day, I don't remember the ceremonial first pitch :lol:

Pudges number retirement was a few years back though, I do remember that. I am pretty sure I even took some pictures.

I do think it is safe to say Frank will not be hanging around the ballpark shouting let's play two today.

It seems to me he hasn't had the warm cozy relationship with the team. Next time he'll look up diminished skills in the dictionary.

Amen to that. It should be automatic, wthout any discussion at this point. I would suggest doing it at his last game, I doubt he'll ver return to the old ballpark, aka #72

Carlton's been back to the park several times. When they retired his number, several opening day pitches, he was there for all the AS events - and coached the Futures game.

And, IMO, you're off base on Frank's relationship with the Sox. Jerry and Frank are very, very close. The only person that Frank doesn't like and vice versa from what I have ever seen is Kenny.

Carlton's been back to the park several times. When they retired his number, several opening day pitches, he was there for all the AS events - and coached the Futures game.

And, IMO, you're off base on Frank's relationship with the Sox. Jerry and Frank are very, very close. The only person that Frank doesn't like and vice versa from what I have ever seen is Kenny.

That's right, you've mentioned that before. Does KW and JR play good cop ~ bad cop? IMHO, when Frank's playing days are over, a Frank statue should be placed at Cominsky.

I wonder if the White Sox will exercise the buyout clause after this coming season.

What is it Steff, like a $3M payout?

I think it's $4mil... but don't quote me.

And Tex.. I don't know what they do. But I do know that Frank deals with Jerry directly.