ESPN Article on Renteria

Wise Master Buehrle

I could not agree more. Shortstop is one of the most, if not the most, important positions on the field. There are only a handful of shortstops in Renteria's class. He may not be A-Rod but he's damn good. He's better than that guy the Cubs just re-signed.

Good right fielders are a dime a dozen. I'm convinced that we can find someone to take Maggs spot. We need to get Renteria.

The other good news is that the Yankees should not be involved in this bidding war.

Anaheim and Boston are two.

I believe Anaheim is focusing more on Cabrera then Renteria so they can have more money towards a run at Beltran, aren't they?

Also...I am pretty sure I saw that Boston was going to not go after any real big name...maybe Polanco and Valentin, something like that.

I would say that it is pretty much us against the Cards, and with the Cards getting Morris for $2.5 mill, they may have the money to resign him...and I just assume he'd prefer staying in St. Louis to going to Chicago.

I would say that it is pretty much us against the Cards, and with the Cards getting Morris for $2.5 mill, they may have the money to resign him...and I just assume he'd prefer staying in St. Louis to going to Chicago.

Agreed, I think we have to have a huge difference in the offers to make a run at him. but, it worth the shot.

I believe Anaheim is focusing more on Cabrera then Renteria so they can have more money towards a run at Beltran, aren't they?

Also...I am pretty sure I saw that Boston was going to not go after any real big name...maybe Polanco and Valentin, something like that. 

It should not really matter who they go after, renteria or cabrera. Because the angels have a s*** load to spend. I don't know if they will even be able to spend it all.

It should not really matter who they go after, renteria or cabrera. Because the angels have a s*** load to spend. I don't know if they will even be able to spend it all.

Well if they are truly thinking Beltran and Pavano, how big is the $2 mill difference between Cabrera and Renteria? Right?

Damn the Angels are gonna be such a good team next year.

I believe that the Angels are the odds on favorite to land Beltran if he doesn't go back to Houston. Unless the Angels are planning on becoming Yankees West I don't expect they'll sign both Beltran and Renteria.

The Red Sox have a ton of their own FAs to worry about. I think that their focus with their big money will be finding a replacement or Pedro, i.e., Carl Pavano.

I obviously could be wrong but I saw the Cubs as the #1 obstacle to us getting Renteria. And, they have their guy now.

Boston doesn't want a short stop for 4 years (thank God).

We could use Renteria for four years. I'm actually pulling for the Angels to sign Beltran, so that hopefully they'd fall out of the Edgar race.

Cards want to offer him arbitration and take a years contract, hopefully Edgar wants more years.

Really? Just us and the Cards?

Wow... that's, interesting, and very correct. I'm just kind of shocked about it, so sorry if those first couple of sentences came off as odd.

Hmm, if it's just between us and the Cards, we might be able to get him for less than the ten million. Maybe around eight million, nine million? Four years, 32 million, and I'd be absolutely ecstatic...

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, 4/32 was the original Cardinal offer from a few weeks ago. St. Louis will have the home-town advantage so I would imagine we would have to be looking at 4/40 or at least 4/36-but I think the Cards will go that high

You are correct, but it was heavily backloaded.

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, 4/32 was the original Cardinal offer from a few weeks ago. St. Louis will have the home-town advantage so I would imagine we would have to be looking at 4/40 or at least 4/36-but I think the Cards will go that high

Maybe a little I-just-got-to-the-World-Series-with-this-team advantage, too. ;)