5th Starter for the WhiteSox in 2005

southsideirish71

This is what is going to happen, unfortunately.

The dogers are in the mix to be Arizonas trading partner. So that would leave us without Vasquez or RJ.

Clement will sign for BoSox or Ana.

When Clement signs the pack of wolves that is left will go after Perez.

Lowe will sign with the tigers.

Hey but look on the bright side. Uncle Jerry gets to pocket some nice money making him happy. And we get to our 65 million dollar payroll just like last year.

Hey but look on the bright side.  Uncle Jerry gets to pocket some nice money making him happy.  And we get to our 65 million dollar payroll just like last year.

LOL, I never understand this. Why would any1 want to own a professional sports team if their motive is to make money? It is an unprofittable business, what is need are people like mark cuban-he is a saint of owners. He cares deeply about his team, and as long as he isnt losing a fortune, eh will do whatever it takes for his team without crossing the line as to "coach" the players.

I think I would rather see Schoney or Diaz pitch than watch Grilli again... and I can't even f***ing believe I said that...

:puke :puke man, when I read your post I just got shivers... that would be a joke if we don't have a servicable 5th starter coming into ST, Mariotti might actually write an article I agree with soon....

Everyone was predicting either a 75 or 80 million dollar payroll. I keep going back to the fact that we hit 65 in 2001, dumped salary, we hit it again last year. I think Uncle Jerry is pretty happy with the salary staying at that 65 million mark. He gets the comcast deal and maybe he gets some fans through the turnstyles. Its a win win. Plus doesnt he have some sort of aggreement based on attendance for rent for the stadium.

The only good thing is that none of the other teams in the central got stronger.

I dont want to see showenweis, diaz or grilli start. Showenweis is not a good starter. He gives up too many long balls. Diaz doesnt have the melon to start. He has Cotts disease. He goes from a control pitcher to someone lofting up 85 mph meatballs on 2-0 3-1. Grilli reminds me more of garland. He has the stuff, but he will self destruct for an inning and give up 4 or 5 runs.

Hey we havent seen any retread action from Kenny this offseason. He usually has some retread to get lightening in a bottle from. If he pops out with Andy my arm has fallen off Asby we are doomed.

book this, book that... .at this point, none of us, me... you... the score... anyone knows whats going to happen

book s***...

ps.... if i seem like an asshole lately, sorry... i quit smoking 6 days and 21 hours ago

im an asshole right now, just give me a couple weeks, ill chill out

peace

-t

This is what is going to happen, unfortunately. 

The dogers are in the mix to be Arizonas trading partner.  So that would leave us without Vasquez or RJ.

Clement will sign for BoSox or Ana.

When Clement signs the pack of wolves that is left will go after Perez.

Lowe will sign with the tigers.

Hey but look on the bright side.  Uncle Jerry gets to pocket some nice money making him happy.  And we get to our 65 million dollar payroll just like last year.

Such negativity. If we make it to opening day without signing someone like Clement/Perez/Lowe/Millwood then I'll be upset and rant accordingly. All this wild speculation and none of these 4 guys have gone anywhere yet. Give it some time.

I truly believe that this could be Kenny's last chance as a GM for the Sox..He has to go out and sign a pitcher..The main offseason plan was to sign another starter because of the inconsistency last year with the 5th starter spot...So if he doesn't sign another starter..what would make this year's team any diff't than last when it comes to starting pitching...? It better happen..or we will have a nice bash session at soxfest come January!

It's not always the GM's fault. It IS possible that after actually scouting someone, they just don't believe these pitchers are worth the money they are asking.

If we sign Clement to 3/$30 and he blows out his arm, than people start b****ing about paying a #3 starter $10 mil per. Again, sometimes the best signings are the ones not made.

If the Sox can stay competitive before the trading deadline, and I think they can, there IS flexibility to go out and make another trade or two for an arm and a bat. Relax, it's time for some of our rookies to step up and i have confidence that they will.

It's not always the GM's fault.  It IS possible that after actually scouting someone, they just don't believe these pitchers are worth the money they are asking.

If we sign Clement to 3/$30 and he blows out his arm, than people start b****ing about paying a #3 starter $10 mil per.  Again, sometimes the best signings are the ones not made. 

If the Sox can stay competitive before the trading deadline, and I think they can, there IS flexibility to go out and make another trade or two for an arm and a bat.  Relax, it's time for some of our rookies to step up and i have confidence that they will.

ok dybber who are the sox going to plug into the 5th spot then? Grilli?? Stewart?? Cotts?? We need a 5th starter and if we don't sign one then yes its personnel that is the problem...Kenny Williams has done enough to lose his job over the past few seasons..such as trading away the farm system for 2 players..This is his make it or break it season...He has been in since 2001..and nothing has happened for the sox..he has to pull the trigger on a 5th starter..This is what the fans want including myself...Yes I understand that if we overpay for someone and he blows out his arm..then yeah people will b****..but at least he is taking chances..Show the city of chicago that you want to win..win now..if it means trading an aaron rowand for a starter that can compete, fine..but we can't rely on that 5th starter spot questionmark bulls*** again..That was the reason last year we didnt win...according to kenny..

ok dybber who are the sox going to plug into the 5th spot then?  Grilli??  Stewart??  Cotts??  We need a 5th starter and if we don't sign one then yes its personnel that is the problem...Kenny Williams has done enough to lose his job over the past few seasons..such as trading away the farm system for 2 players..This is his make it or break it season...He has been in since 2001..and nothing has happened for the sox..he has to pull the trigger on a 5th starter..This is what the fans want including myself...Yes I understand that if we overpay for someone and he blows out his arm..then yeah people will b****..but at least he is taking chances..Show the city of chicago that you want to win..win now..if it means trading an aaron rowand for a starter that can compete, fine..but we can't rely on that 5th starter spot questionmark bulls*** again..That was the reason last year we didnt win...according to kenny..

Boxer, you just contradicted yourself in your own response. KW is taking chances. He traded away our top catching prospect and our top outfield prospect for a SP. He traded for Everett and Alomar in 2003 for a playoff run...he traded for Everett last year because of injuries and Alomar because they didn't have confidence in Willie.

Let's just say, for instance that we are 2 games back at the trading deadline and Ben Sheets becomes available. If we overspend for a #3 now, we can't expect to resign a #1 or #2 later.

Plus, we can't MAKE people sign with us. Pavano's hero growing up was Schilling and the Red sox couldn't sign him. All you can do is be competitive and hope for the best. I know the White Sox are cheap. I know they lowball FA's. You just can't give everyone what they want...then salary's would all be in nine figures. I'm not saying don't sign Clement, but don't give the man $10 mil a year...he doesn't deserve it and he won't put the Sox in the World Series. He isn't that kind of a difference maker. Randy Johnson is. Tim Hudson is VERY close. Jaret Wright/Kris Benson/Russ Ortiz are not. And those three are overpaid.

We can't keep asking our GM's to be aggressive and frugal. Sorry, can't happen that way. And with all the competition for the fifth spot, somebody will stand out.

LOL, I never understand this.  Why would any1 want to own a professional sports team if their motive is to make money?  It is an unprofittable business, what is need are people like mark cuban-he is a saint of owners.  He cares deeply about his team, and as long as he isnt losing a fortune, eh will do whatever it takes for his team without crossing the line as to "coach" the players.

If there was no profit in owning a sports team no one would own one. But you know everything. :bang

Now that clement has signed with the bosox. Anaheim and the rest of the masses target odalis.

Lowe goes to detroit.

There was an article about Millwood going back to Atlanta, but they balked at that as he stll thinks he is worth big money north of 8 mill.

Milton would get destroyed here with gopher balls.

O Hernandez is 41 and is injury prone.

Jason Grilli keep the ball near the plate at least. Maybe we can outslug a team once a week.

We are targetting not a number 5 guy, but a top of the rotation guy. Pitching wins. KW

Now that clement has signed with the bosox.  Anaheim and the rest of the masses target odalis. 

Lowe goes to detroit. 

There was an article about Millwood going back to Atlanta, but they balked at that as he stll thinks he is worth big money north of 8 mill.

Milton would get destroyed here with gopher balls.

O Hernandez is 41 and is injury prone. 

Jason Grilli keep the ball near the plate at least.  Maybe we can outslug a team once a week.

We are targetting not a number 5 guy, but a top of the rotation guy.  Pitching wins.  KW

Jason grilli keeps the ball near the plate? :lol: