Films

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flight Plan – a thriller which appeals to the brain

The Constant Gardener – a thriller which appeals to the brain, but also aims for your heart and soul.

I catch most of my movies on the small screen at home, but went today to the early show at the theater and ended up seeing these two almost-first-run flicks for $5.00. I thought they staggered showings to make that more difficult, but not in this case. I might try double dipping more often.

Flight Plan wouldn’t lose much at all by being seen on TV, but The Constant Gardener has some spectacular location photography best seen on the wide screen.

I couldn't find the original films thread so I figured Id start another one.

I finally got around to seeing "Lord of War" this weekend and I had a blast! That was easily the most kickass movie I saw all year.

Nicholas Cage was totally awesome in this movie. His opening quote is my new siggy and will probably stay that way for a while and the dude who played president of Liberia and his son cracked me the hell up.

"I want the gun of Rambo"

"They say Im rigging elections but ( shows a copy of the NY Times saying Bush won the 2000 election ) after your court of kangaroo's they cant say anything" ( I dont agree but it was still funny )

I saw A History Of Violence earlier this week, and it sucked. Don't get me wrong, the action sequences were great. Viggo Mortenson (or however you spell it) f***ed some dudes up, but the storyline and everything else about the movie was awful.

I just saw The Greatest Game Ever Played today for 3 bucks, and I liked that a lot.

Finally got around to seeing The Aristocrats. The only shocking part was paying $9.25. I was surprised that I laughed as much as I did, and interested that at least one part made me uneasy which I wasn’t expecting.

By now, everybody probably knows the central premise for this documentary is a hugely vulgar joke (until recently a semi-secret in-joke for professional comedians). In the basic set-up a husband and wife (and usually at least one child and one animal) go to the office of a talent agent and describe their act – which involves many and varied sexual and scatological behaviors – at the end of which the flabbergasted agent asks what they call themselves. The answer is the punch line of course, “The Aristocrats.”

The joke itself isn’t really funny; it’s kind of beside the point. It’s the path each comic takes, the way he (and it usually IS he) chooses to tell it, what gross and grosser acts he invents as he riffs on the standard version that defines the success of the telling. And, I might add, says a heck of a lot about the comic.

I figured that this one trick pony of a movie would be a sort of cultural event best seen in a public setting rather than at home on DVD and I was right. I’d never bother to watch it again, but it was interesting in itself seeing the 70-100 different comedians who took part. It was too long even at less than 90 minutes, tried too hard to be transgressive, but was a one of a kind film worth seeing.

I finally saw "Crash" over the weekend. I loved the opening scene, and after that I was disappointed until the end. For a while it seemed like it was going to be a crappier "Do the right thing" but the ending really tied everything together nicely. I enjoyed it a lot, but stick with it, as it takes a while to develop.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 03:10 AM)
Finally got around to seeing The Aristocrats.  The only shocking part was paying $9.25.  I was surprised that I laughed as much as I did, and interested that at least one part made me uneasy which I wasn’t expecting.

By now, everybody probably knows the central premise for this documentary is a hugely vulgar joke (until recently a semi-secret in-joke for professional comedians).  In the basic set-up a husband and wife (and usually at least one child and one animal) go to the office of a talent agent and describe their act – which involves many and varied sexual and scatological behaviors – at the end of which the flabbergasted agent asks what they call themselves.  The answer is the punch line of course, “The Aristocrats.”

The joke itself isn’t really funny; it’s kind of beside the point.  It’s the path each comic takes, the way he (and it usually IS he) chooses to tell it, what gross and grosser acts he invents as he riffs on the standard version that defines the success of the telling.  And, I might add, says a heck of a lot about the comic.

I figured that this one trick pony of a movie would be a sort of cultural event best seen in a public setting rather than at home on DVD and I was right.  I’d never bother to watch it again, but it was interesting in itself seeing the 70-100 different comedians who took part.  It was too long even at less than 90 minutes, tried too hard to be transgressive, but was a one of a kind film worth seeing.

The Aristocrats sucked hard. You'll run into people that will tell you that it's one of the funniest movies ever made, but it sure as hell is one of the worst. Just because they say dirty words more than any other movie, it doesn't make it funny.

I love dirty humor. I f***ing adore it, but this movie sucked worse than I could ever imagine. I went with two friends, and none of us had ever left a movie early before we saw this garbage. I wasn't offended (because nothing offends me) and I wasn't disgusted (because almost nothing disgusts me). This movie just sucked so bad that I couldn't stand to be in the theater any longer. One of my friends had actually fallen asleep. Here are two tips to rate a movie:

Dirty humor does not always = funny.

Twist endings do not always = good movies.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Oct 10, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
I'm a huuuuge fan of 'Carlito's Way". I decided to check out the prequel "Rise to Power" this weekend. What I got through was average at best, luckily the disc crapped out on me and I took it back for a rental credit.

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to go pick that up.

I  can't wait to see Wallace and Gromit--I love the shorts and the movie looks good. Anyone seen it yet?

I’m looking forward to the movie, too. Loved the shorts. How often can you attach the word “sweetness” to what tries to pass for funny in the movies these days?

I heard on NPR today that the creator’s warehouse was just destroyed by fire. He lost 30 years’ worth of props, storyboards and models. But apparently nothing to do with the movie.

Syriana

syriana.jpg

George Clooney, Matt Damon, Amanda Peet, Alexander Siddig, Chris Cooper

Robert Baer (Clooney), a 21-year veteran of the CIA, spent his entire career investigating terrorists around the globe. As the dangers of terrorism increased, Baer watched as the CIA's funding was cut, politics overtook judgment, and warning signs were ignored. But the struggle becomes personal when an oil executive (Damon) and his wife (Peet) are faced with a family tragedy...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365737/plotsummary

Trailer (link should work)

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/syriana/large.html

I'm looking forward to this one, as well as Good Night, and Good Luck and The Constant Gardener. I love political films... because they're all liberal!!!!

Edited by KipWellsFan