WSCR 670AM, MLB.com: "El Duque" agrees to deal

Flash Tizzle

This is off-topic but don't you think some people posting in this thread have way too long sigs?  Plus lowercaserepublican what are you talking about in your thread?  There is no hope for America's future.  Everyone has embraced capitalism.  Commies, dictators, & democracies.  Capitalism is now the de-facto un-abridged & un-curtailed standard of business in the world.  How many profits will the Iraq war generate for capitalists? It's no longer bound by unions, govts, or any other good-willed christian ideologies.  You can't help but be reminded of Lennon's words "imagine there is no religion".  In terms of business you won't have to imagine it.  There will no longer be any notion of ethics, morality, christiandom, or charity.  No home-town discounts.  It's sort of like MLB.  Soon to be driven such that price is determined almost entirely by supply & demand.  Seek the lowest cost possible to produce the supply in order to maximize profits from the demand.  There is no hope.  Not for the CWS or for America :D

"And I'm gonna look him straight in the eye, and I'm gonna tell him what a cheap, lying, no good, rotten, four-flushing, lowlife, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spiny-necked, worm-headed sack of monkey s*** he is! Hallelujah! Holy s***! Where's the Tylenol!"

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should all put the personal bickering aside and discuss the deal.

Usually when things stray off-topic is when we run into trouble and end up having to close threads.

Just stating this now before anything else is said and I am not pointing this comment towards anyone.

If someone has a problem, deal with it directly through PM to one of the admins/mods or with the person involved.

Or perhaps discuss it on the SL&P board.

This is off-topic but don't you think some people posting in this thread have way too long sigs?  Plus lowercaserepublican what are you talking about in your thread?  There is no hope for America's future.  Everyone has embraced capitalism.  Commies, dictators, & democracies.  Capitalism is now the de-facto un-abridged & un-curtailed standard of business in the world.  How many profits will the Iraq war generate for capitalists? It's no longer bound by unions, govts, or any other good-willed christian ideologies.  You can't help but be reminded of Lennon's words "imagine there is no religion".  In terms of business you won't have to imagine it.  There will no longer be any notion of ethics, morality, christiandom, or charity.  No home-town discounts.  It's sort of like MLB.  Soon to be driven such that price is determined almost entirely by supply & demand.  Seek the lowest cost possible to produce the supply in order to maximize profits from the demand.  There is no hope.  Not for the CWS or for America :D

Yeah, the giant ass pics in peoples' profiles tick me off a little bit. The quote is from Pat Buchanan's book "A Republic, Not an Empire" which is a really good read so far (I'm about 1/3 of the way through it right now). The resources lacking will be actual manpower to get involved in all sorts of European adventures. Buchanan makes a strong case for the unsustainability of neo-imperial foreign policy that is being promoted.

Now, as for the trade -- I can't wait to have 5 starters that we know who is gonna start in each game instead of the roulette wheel.

"And I'm gonna look him straight in the eye, and I'm gonna tell him what a cheap, lying, no good, rotten, four-flushing, lowlife, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spiny-necked, worm-headed sack of monkey s*** he is! Hallelujah! Holy s***! Where's the Tylenol!"

Great movie! I watched it Saturday night.

I just wanted to use that quote. I was not insulting anyone.

Think about our rotation for next year from one interesting point.

We will have 5 pitchers who have all completely different stuff. All good, but different enough so that having a good day off of one pitcher doesnt mean that the team will be able to transfer that success to the next. This is not in any rotational order btw also.

As of now and including if we get Javier Vasquez and spin off Garland. I have included Garland just incase we keep him.

Buerhle Location guy, nasty changeup and cutter. Best when he pounds the guy in and in.

Garcia Live fastball with some sink to it, good slider and curve. Best when he keeps the ball down.

Vasquez Live fastball,.great location pitcher, gets ahead and puts you away. Great curveball

Contreras filthy splitter and live fastball

O Hernandez, great breaking stuff, motion is all legs and arms

Garland if Vasquez isnt here. Sinkerballer, good curveball

Ok, maybe we can take that up in the politics thread.

Let me just ask all of you who believe an 8/2 + 4/2 (incentives) deal for El Duque was a good price to pay one question. Who were the SOX bidding against for that price?

It wasn't the NYY because when he declined arbit he locked them into Jan 8th to work out a deal & there was nothing in the NY press indicating such.

Do we measure this by BOS Wells contract? 3M to sign, 2.5 mil base, 5M/yr for 30+ starts. Total value betw (8-18)/2. If that is the measure then consider this

02-04 Wells: GS 92, 610 ip, 3.9 era, 45W, 22L.

Nearly 3 times as many starts & ip, an era < 4, a W/L > 2. The SOX got fleeced.

i really really like this signing....id have to think he be the 5th starter so we dont overdo his arm and that easily gives us the best 5th starter in the league... also if he gets injured mid-season like many people think so... mebe by that time a certain minor league prospect well be rdy to make his first start in the pro's... but what makes this signing ever better is we didnt spend like 7-8 million a year so it gives us room to sign a guy like eckstein or pryznski

So why should I be confident that he'll pitch a large part of the season?  I like the pitcher, but I get worried about a guy who has "tired shoulder" after 84 ip.  I know he had surgery on his shoulder -- have other pitchers had similar problems after surgery?  Just a lot of questions on this one.

Even with a destroyed arm he could outpitch our teeball stand by committee that we would of marched out there in ST.

OH for 2 years 8 mill > Teeball Grill+Teeball Diaz+amount of tums I would need for my ulcers+replacing my tv after I throw the remote through it+the replacment after I kick the dog so much in anger that I need to put him to sleep

Simple formula. Its an overwhelming yes for signing this guy.

So why should I be confident that he'll pitch a large part of the season?  I like the pitcher, but I get worried about a guy who has "tired shoulder" after 84 ip.  I know he had surgery on his shoulder -- have other pitchers had similar problems after surgery?  Just a lot of questions on this one.

Thats why Ozzie would have to be retarded to not put him in the 5th spot.

Jon might not be the better pitcher but if it means El Duque stays healthy the entire year then let him have the f***ing days off.

Lets just hope Ozzie doesn't pull a Dusty Baker and make him blow out his arm like a month into the year.

Even with a destroyed arm he could outpitch our teeball stand by committee that we would of marched out there in ST. 

OH for 2 years 8 mill > Teeball Grill+Teeball Diaz+amount of tums I would need for my ulcers+replacing my tv after I throw the remote through it+the replacment after I kick the dog so much in anger that I need to put him to sleep

Simple formula.  Its an overwhelming yes for signing this guy.

Well, that missed the whole point of my questions. Sure, he's a good pitcher... But only if he's pitching, man.

Even if Hernandez pitches exactly the same as he did last year (8 wins over 84.2 innings) that's more wins than we got out of the fifth starter spot last year. If we assume that whoever then replaces an injured Hernandez (whether it's Hermanson, Grilli, Diaz, etc.) is good for three wins, that's eleven wins out of the fifth starter spot, which is very acceptable, and might be enough to push the Sox into first place.

Holy s***. I’ve been on Sox Talk for more than an hour and just now I find out that we get “El Duque”!? :o

f***ing horrible, IMO. I know we won’t see Grilli in the #5 spot anymore, but here we have a 43+ year old guy who may not even go more than 100+ innings. Kenny expects to go to the playoffs with this MF around? Cheapness is the first thing that comes to my mind when I look at this signing.

Excuse me while I puke my guts out. :puke

Thats why Ozzie would have to be retarded to not put him in the 5th spot.

Jon might not be the better pitcher but if it means El Duque stays healthy the entire year then let him have the f***ing days off.

Lets just hope Ozzie doesn't pull a Dusty Baker and make him blow out his arm like a month into the year.

excellent point. this should be the plan.

Holy s***. I’ve been on Sox Talk for more than an hour and just now I find out that we get “El Duque”!?  :o

f***ing horrible, IMO. I know we won’t see Grilli in the #5 spot anymore, but here we have a 43+ year old guy who may not even go more than 100+ innings. Kenny expects to go to the playoffs with this MF around? Cheapness is the first thing that comes to my mind when I look at this signing.

Excuse me while I puke my guts out.  :puke

He is not 43, he is 38.

I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but does anyone else see the 2 years as a bit odd? We have BMac who at the very latest should be pitching this September setting up to fight for the rotation in 06. If KW really thought BMac was worth leaving a spot for he would have or still will. Am I right in saying that all of our pitchers are signed through the next 2 years?