New A.J. info--Sox have him for at least two years

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
Damn that makes this a pretty sweet signing.  That means even if he has an awesome year, the most we HAVE to pay him is $4.5 million.

Why is that? Players can get bigger raises in arbitration than the 20% or 25 %, I think i have heard you say before, i know someone said it.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
Why is that? Players can get bigger raises in arbitration than the 20% or 25 % i think i have heard you say before.

100% is tops. He is making $2.25 million this year which means he can't make more than $4.5 in arbit if we chose not to negotiate with him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
100% is tops.  He is making $2.25 million this year which means he can't make more than $4.5 in arbit if we chose not to negotiate with him.

The how can byung-hyun kim go from $762,500 in 2002 to $3,250,000 in 2003? That is a 326% raise.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
Nice, and the arb would be based on this new contract and not the previous one, meaning there is a good shot he'd be around another year if he produced.

Arbitration is never pretty, last year he took the Giants to arb and won 3.5 million against a club offer of, I think, 2.25. I have a sense that might have contributed to them dumping him for Mathany. Arb always results in bad blood, and is one reason the Sox go to great efforts to avoid it.

Arbitration is never pretty

Yup. All arbitration is, is this -- your employer pointing out your flaws and shortcomings in an attempt to take bread off your family's table (it's a figure of speech..I know these guys are millionaires).

What bad blood could come out of that?! :rolly

CWS fans seem a need to b**** about everything. Look at the facts please.

KW used the bad rep stuff out SF to drive AJ in to a 2.25/1yr deal. I did not know about the arbit eligible situation. With that being the case AJ was in no position to ask for a multi-year deal. He has that bargaining power next year & not this one.

All I know is this guy was a major factor in beating us when he was with MIN. Now he's on our side at bargain prices. Not bad for landing one of the best hitting catchers in the league.

The only think that bothers me about this is KW's comments seemed

to suggest the winning margin was 87-92. Where did he come up with 92 wins? I don't think 92 wins will beat the Twins for the div crown. He's underestimating Santana, Radke, & Silva if he does.

The arbitration situation gives the CWS a full season to decide whether they want to offer AJ a multi-year contract. If AJ picks up a bad rap in that time

but one the CWS can manage that's going to keep his price low. If he is stellar in the club house but nobody says anything about it he's still going to be haunted by the SF comments.

So either way it looks like the CWS will be able to sign him to a multi-year

after this season if that's what they want to do. This was a great move by KW.

As for G Zaun he accepted roughly a 2M/2yr deal with TBJ. The second yr is an option year based on GP in 2005. Basically they are giving him a chance to be their #1 C & if performs they are willing to pay for that. There were other teams offering more $ but Zaun wanted the TBJ job.

He was never an option for the CWS.

That leaves Iguchi or a utility IF as the last piece to get.