Best Comiskey Park Moments

bjam44

Not sure if this has ever been a topic before but I decided to post it anyway. I was over at my grandfather's house taking about the sox. He grew up on the southside and has been a die hard fan since the 1940's. We were talking about the greatet moments we have seen in person at the ball game. Just though it would be cool to read what other have seen.

I have seen so many over the years I will only list a few.

The first one was seeing Colon strike out Barry Bonds three times in one game and then in the 9th Seeing Barry Hit a shot into centerfield to tie the game. I stood up and claped after that.

Seeing Bo jackson hit the game winning homerun to clinch the west then running around the outfield after the game was over to celebrate.

I saw the last night game in old comiskey and watch the fire works after the game and watch them shut off the light for the last time. :crying I was in 2nd Grade

I saw the triple play the sox turned this summer againts the Angles.

So many of Franks moster Shot.

I could go on for hours.............

Well, since this thread says "Comisky" and ther was only ONE Comiskey Park .....

1. Rooftop shot by Greg Luzinski off Oild Can Boyd.

2. Dick Allen CRUSHED a ball to the back wall of CF bullpen.

3. Opening Day '74 and '75 ... just cuz it was opening day.

Edit to add:

4. Bobby Thigpen breaking the single season save record in 1990.

QUOTE(bjam44 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 01:52 AM)
The first one was seeing Colon strike out Barry Bonds three times in one game and then in the 9th Seeing Barry Hit a shot into centerfield to tie the game. I stood up and claped after that.

So many of Franks moster Shot.

I could go on for hours.............

I was at that Giants game. Even though we lost heartbreakingly, that game is more memorable than some of the others I saw that season or in 2004.

Frank Thomas career hit #2000, a HR over my head in left field. Lost that game too unfortunately.

Timo Perez runs a lap game. "COME ON TIMO, COME ON TIMO" even though the ball beat him and we lost the series to Cleveland it was very memorable.

August 2003, Jarrod Washburn throws 6+ no-hit innings and leads 2-0 in the 7th. Robbie Alomar singles, Angels fan "IT'S JUST ONE HIT". Frank Thomas homers to right-center game tied, Angels fan stfu. Bottom 9, one on, Frank hits another 2 run bomb off Washburn into the bullpen and the Sox win 4-2.

The night in 2003 we swept the Twins, I wasn't there but watching Paulie's HR in the 11th I think and Frank's in the 13th was too memorable to leave off this list.

Some Mike Cameron walkoff magic against Anaheim and last home game of 2000 against KC are some other random memories.

Another game I just thought of was during the 2000 pennant run when the Sox played Toronto at home on a Saturday night. The park was sold out and Sirotka was starting. Toronto held a 3-1 lead (the 1 run courtesy of a Mags HR) in the bottom of the 7th when Konerko came up as a PH with the bases loaded and cleared them with a double, & the Sox ultimately won 6-3 with Foulke closing it out. The cheering was so loud my ears were ringing the rest of the evening. Unfortunately, at the time they were playing that stupid song "Who let the dogs out", and that's all the crowd was singing. Still, that was a great time to be a fan of this team.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 07:05 AM)
That was such a good game, espcailly since that was that was the year after the Angles won the WS, so it was big time to beat them. God that was such a good game to be at, I remember after that 2nd HR everyone was giving high 5's to everyone around them, the place was nuts.

I was there too, that was an awesome game besides that the other great memory I have was Jose's walkoff homer against the Indians last year when the sox were up 8 to 0 and Cleveland ended up bringing it to extras before jose hit the walkoff that was also a fun game to be at. Afterwards coming down the ramp everyone chanting Jose, Jose, Jose, Jose, fun game.

The 83 All-Star game was special, but the game that I will never forget happened on July 1, 1990. The park opened on 7/1/1910, so this was its 80th and last birthday. Andy Hawkins threw a no-hitter against the Sox, and the Sox beat the Yankees 3-0. 1990 was my favorite year because that team really refused to stay beat, and that day was just surreal.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 03:23 AM)
The night in 2003 we swept the Twins, I wasn't there but watching Paulie's HR in the 11th I think and Frank's in the 13th was too memorable to leave off this list.

There was only like 23,000 people at that game but it sounded like 50,000. I still cant' believe I actually got to see that game in person. We were riding such a big high... acquiring EVerett and Alomar and then beating the Twinks.

Then a depressing slump.

The 83 All-Star game was special, but the game that I will never forget happened on July 1, 1990. The park opened on 7/1/1910, so this was its 80th and last birthday. Andy Hawkins threw a no-hitter against the Sox, and the Sox beat the Yankees 3-0. 1990 was my favorite year because that team really refused to stay beat, and that day was just surreal.

Yes, a great game. Actually the Sox won 4-0, the wind was howling about 35 mph that day.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 07:20 AM)
Yes, a great game.  Actually the Sox won 4-0, the wind was howling about 35 mph that day.

Just a funny reference I found about that week for Andy Hawkins, cut and pasted from www.baseballlibrary.com ...

July 1, 1990: Yankees Andy Hawkins throws the season's 6th no-hitter, but still loses 4–0 to the White Sox. With two out in the bottom of the 8th, New York's Mike Blowers misplays Sosa's routine grounder for an error, and Hawkins walks two to load the bases. Outfielders Jim Leyritz and Jesse Barfield drop back-to-back fly balls to allow all four runs to score. Barfield loses Ivan Calderon's fly ball in the sun and the ball bounces off his mitt. Ken Johnson in 1964 was the last pitcher to lose a no-hitter.

July 6, 1990: In his first start since losing a no-hitter, Andy Hawkins pitches 11 2/3 innings of shutout ball only to lose in the 12th 2–0 to the Twins. Hawkins is now 1-6.

:lolhitting poor bastard.

My 2 favorite moments are the HR that Bo Jackson hit in his first AB with the team after the Royals sold him down the river and left him for dead, and my second favorite is the HR that Frank hit in the 13th inning vs. the Twins. When it happened it looked like Frank hit it about 1,000 feet. It really only went about 400, but judging by the reaction from Hawk and the crowd, you'd think it was still in the air.

Being a native left-coaster, I didn't see either of those moments live, but they were definitely great.

And to the person who mentioned the Colon/Bonds battles - that was incredible. Bonds erased the first 3 strikeouts in the blink of an eye, and just showed why he's probably going to go down as the greatest player in ML history.

Bo jackson's walk off was the best. The last day of Old comiskey was awesome, but real sad.

The best one lately was this season in the pouring rain, when Paulie hit a bomb before they called the game, and right as he hit it, there was a flash of lightning. It was like I was watching the natural, I will never forget that moment.

My favorite Comiskey moment was actually getting to play in Old Comiskey in 1973.

Got my picture in the paper swinging at a ball WAAAAAAY over my head.

I remember being really really nervous, even though only the players' parents and a few newspeople were there. A guy on my team ( 11 years old, mind you ) bashed one off the left-center field wall, admired his shot and almost got thrown out at second base. I'd have watched it, too....BELIEVE that.

So as it happened, I struck out at Comiskey and also struck out at Wrigley......just like Sammy Sosa..... :D

My favorite moments were in 1984. What makes them so memorable is that I saw 4 roofshots that year. Fisk and Kittle on the same day, Ruppert Jones (first lefty to hit it over the RF roof) and Mark McGwire. McGwire, you ask? Yep, they were on a barnstorming tour as members of Team USA and he crushed a ball right past the light tower. i remember that day because everyone was oooing and aahing about this college kid crushing a ball. The stadium was just filling up for the game that night and it was amazing. Also, I was there when Mike Cameron hit 4 homers for the Mariners...go Jon Rauch!!!

Also, even though I wasn't there, Julio "Juice" Cruz crossing home in 1983, Bo Jackson, any Ventura grand slam, elephant ears, churros, Andy the Clown, fights with Brewer fans and the two years when every game i went to the White Sox won.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
...and the two years when every game i went to the White Sox won.

Isn't that the BEST????

I only attended ONE White Sox loss last year, which is amazing to me since I went to about 3 or 4 5th-starter games! ( ...I luuuuuuuv the bullpen..... :D )

The flip side of that is AWFUL, though - I had a two-year stretch where the Blackhawks lost EVERY time I went to a game, and this is back when they were really good! That sucked ass!

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
Andy Hawkins threw a no-hitter against the Sox, and the Sox beat the Yankees 3-0. 1990 was my favorite year because that team really refused to stay beat, and that day was just surreal.

Didn't the Sox starter (possibly Hibbard) have a no-hitter going into the 7th or 8th that game?

I believe it was in '83, but maybe '84. We were sitting in the lower deck in Left Field. Luzinski crushed a Roof shot. Next up Kittle crushed another Roof shot. Followed by the Wimperoo, Tom Paciorek hitting a normal homer to left. Not often you get to see Back to Back to Back, let alone Back to Back roof shots.

Another time that same year we were sitting in the same area when a homerun went just over my head and into the lap of the lady sitting behind me. Not caring, about 6 guys just reach into her lap, grabbing for the ball. And anything else they could grab. :lol:

QUOTE(SAVVY18 @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
I believe it was in '83, but maybe '84.  We were sitting in the lower deck in Left Field.  Luzinski crushed a Roof shot.  Next up Kittle crushed another Roof shot.  Followed by the Wimperoo, Tom Paciorek hitting a normal homer to left.  Not often you get to see Back to Back to Back, let alone Back to Back roof shots. 

Another time that same year we were sitting in the same area when a homerun went just over my head and into the lap of the lady sitting behind me.  Not caring, about 6 guys just reach into her lap, grabbing for the ball.  And anything else they could grab. :lol:

SOX PLAYERS TO HIT ROOF SHOTS:

Eddie Robinson 4/25/51 v. Al Widmar

Minnie Minoso, 9/21/60 v. Bud Daley

Dave Nicholson, 5/6/64 v. Moe Drabowsky

Buddy Bradford 4/25/69 v. Tom Hall

Tom Egan 7/25/71 v. Jackie Brown

Dick Allen 5/1/73 v. Mike Cueller

Richie Zisk 6/4/77 v. Don Gullett

Greg Luzinski 6/26/83 v. Brian Oelkers

" " 8/1/83 v. Ray Fontenot

" " 8/28/83 v. Dennis Boyd

Ron Kittle 9/6/83 v. Chris Codiroli

" " 9/19/83 v. Mike Walters

" " 4/29/84 v. Al Nipper

" " 7/2/84 v. Dove Rozema

Greg Luzinski 7/3/84 v. Jack Morris

Ron Kittle 8/1/84 v. Bob Ojeda

Carlton Fisk 8/1/84 v. Bob Ojeda

" " 5/30/85 v. Charlie Liebrandt

Ron Kittle 8/8/85 v. Bob Ojeda (again!)

Harold Baines 8/23/85 v. Tom Filer

Dan Pasqua 5/30/89 v. Frank Tanana

Ron Kittle 4/17/90 v. Rob Murphy

I think it was Kittle and Fisk. That was the only game with back to back WS roof shots... but paciorek didn't hit one that day.

http://baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/box...id=198408010CHA

I think I was at that game too...but, my memory doesn't serve me well in this case.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 7, 2005 -> 03:02 PM)

Now I need to go to whitesox.com and watch some 2003 highlights again.

Also, good topic OP.

my personal best moment was attending the game the night before the sox clinched in 1983. the sox had to beat the mariners and the a's had to lose for the sox to clinch. the sox won, but the a's ended up winning and staving off the inevitable for one more night.

anyhow, after the sox won the fans stormed the field. my mom let me go down there and i climbed over the left-field wall and went on the field. most fans made it all the way to the infield where cops had things cordoned off. i was standing there and this lady grabbed me and dragged me over to a cop. she was like 'we're harold baines' family, let us through.' considering we were both as white as it gets, we were denied.

there was just a great feeling on that field that day. even though i was only 10 at the time, it's a memory that has stuck with me. people were so happy.

at the end i went back and had somebody boost me up over the wall and i went back to my mom and we left. before i left though i grabbed a handful of grass from left field and a handful of gravel from the warning track and stuck them in my pocket. when i got home i put them in an old shampoo bottle that i'd rinsed out. i still have that stuff.