More dominos to fall?

Guest JimH

Now that Iguchi is in the fold ...

Does anyone else but me see Harris being moved and a veteran IF being brought in, a guy who can play a capable SS?

I'll be watching what goes on with Barry Larkin very closely. Larkin was very intrigued with possibly going to the Red Sox and changing leagues.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, I think Willie is staying. The only thing we would trade him for is a backup SS and/or minor league prospect(s). Our roster is pretty much set. If we trade Willie we don't necessarily need to get a SS in return because Larkin and Aurilia are still available and could probably be signed cheaply for 1-year contracts to backup Uribe.

I would rather keep Willie. Iguchi is not a sure thing by any stretch. I like having a pretty good backup plan. One of our strengths this year will be our depth. We have things covered if someone was to go down or not pan out. Harris stays. If Iguchi pans out, Harris could potentially be used to pick up something at the deadline.

Maybe you're right. George Offman just reported that the White Sox think Iguchi will hit in the .300's and will have 15 plus homers. He also said that this may signal a trade of Willie Harris now!

So who needs a 2nd baseman? Maybe the whole "great expectations from Willie Harris in 2005" was just to hype up his trade value?

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. If you bring in a guy who can play 90 games at SS then Uribe can shuttle over and play some 2B and 3B.

I think Harris is history. They absolutely need someone on the roster to back up SS, be it a minor leaguer or a vet.

IMO Larkin brings tons of leadership qualities and I'd love to see it. What he can bring: ability to start 90 games at SS, can still handle the bat, leadership and a steadying influence to an inexperienced IF.

I have no idea if he's even interested though, he may just retire.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Maybe you're right.  George Offman just reported that the White Sox think Iguchi will hit in the .300's and will have 15 plus homers.  He also said that this may signal a trade of Willie Harris now!

But for who? What does this team need? Depth, I guess?

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Maybe you're right.  George Offman just reported that the White Sox think Iguchi will hit in the .300's and will have 15 plus homers.  He also said that this may signal a trade of Willie Harris now!

So who needs a 2nd baseman?

trade the peice of crap willie harris. he sucks!

Best SS on the roster: Uribe

Best 2B on the roster: even with Iguchi, right now it's probably Uribe

Best 3B on the roster: tough call, might be Uribe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They already have depth at 2B: Iguchi and Uribe

They already have depth at 3B: Crede and Uribe

They do not have veteran depth at SS. It's Uribe and ???

Highly possible they may just let Valdez and Ozuna fight it out.

But I'm guessing their sights are a little higher. Like Aurilia or Larkin. Or Harris gets traded for the answer.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
Now that Iguchi is in the fold ...

Does anyone else but me see Harris being moved and a veteran IF being brought in, a guy who can play a capable SS?

I'll be watching what goes on with Barry Larkin very closely.  Larkin was very intrigued with possibly going to the Red Sox and changing leagues.

Hey, Hey...Jim, didn't I call for this trade not too long ago as well?

Harris has no value to the Sox right now. He has value to some other clubs, but not the Sox.

We need to trade Wee Willie for a gritty, vet MI. I think there will be a decent market for this s***head too. I'm sure some NL teams would kill for a rangey, speedy two bagger.

Oh man...signed Iguchi...maybe a trade of Willie...this is too good to be true.

Pleasure overload.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
Why do we need Willie? He can't steal a base, He can't hit LHP.  The only thing he would be good for is late Def replacement, but Iguchi has a great glove, as does Timo and A-row.. There is no need for him other than getting sent to Charolte.

wow so quickly to turn on a player after his first complete season. If you were in charge we would of let A-row go a long time ago.....good thing you are not. Willie hasnt proven that he is a star, but he is also very unproven. Its possible that less pressure on him from not being the lead off man, as well as the only stolen base threat, can contribute to willie having a breakout year. The signing is good cause now we have a more established player just in case, but it is very feasible that willie can still turn out ok.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
I would rather keep Willie.  Iguchi is not a sure thing by any stretch.  I like having a pretty good backup plan.  One of our strengths this year will be our depth.  We have things covered if someone was to go down or not pan out.  Harris stays.  If Iguchi pans out, Harris could potentially be used to pick up something at the deadline.

I agree. I don't see a need to trade Willie just yet. Let's see what Iguchi can do first. I also like the idea of plenty of depth. We all know what injury can do to a club.

Key issue here, does Harris have any minor league options left?

You guys who are saying "keep him", how does he fit on the 25 man roster? Especially in conjunction with needing a guy who can backup SS?

It does not fit. Remember also, Guillen loves Timo Perez, not so with Harris.

Also, does anyone think Harris gets better by sitting on the bench? Doesn't fit.

I agree there isn't a total necessity to trade him today, but the situation will have to be resolved by the end of March.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
I wonder if you were calling for the trade of A-row 2 years ago???

You're getting into this debate rather late. There is a huge difference between Rowand and Harris that any educated Sox fan will be sure to point out.

With Harris, you have attitude problems and questions of desire.

With Rowand, you do not.

Harris has fallen out of grace with the Sox organization for a reason...something to chew on.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
A different domino effect is that the White Sox are on the radar of Japanese baseball players and their fans.  I think we have earned much respect from our friends overseas.

Kenny talked about that at Soxfest. He said the reception that Shingo got in Chicago, and the cult-like following he had everytime he got into a game, played huge in Japan. The fans and players there took note of that. Shingo also went back to Japan and talked about how great Chicago was to play for and in. Kenny said he owes lots of the White Sox buzz in Japan to the way the Sox fans took to Takatsu.

i say we keep Willie at least till the trading deadline. Like its been said who knows how good Iguchi is going to be, and as for a good fielder kaz matsui was apposed to be a good fielder too and he sucked. By midseason we should know what we have with Iguchi and than use Willie as part of a package to bring in a player to upgrade our team(probably Robbie Alomar :chair )

i say we keep Willie at least till the trading deadline.  Like its been said who knows how good Iguchi is going to be, and as for a good fielder kaz matsui was apposed to be a good fielder too and he sucked.  By midseason we should know what we have with Iguchi and than use Willie as part of a package to bring in a player to upgrade our team(probably Robbie Alomar  :chair )

They went all the way across the world to find a new starting 2B, that should tell you what the org. thinks of Willie Harris.

Also, remember their first (failed) order of business this winter was to sign Omar Vizquel for SS and move Uribe over to 2B.

They don't like this guy and will move him as soon as possible. Would you want the distraction on your team of your starting 2B hanging around after an overseas acquisition has been brought in to take his place?

The bigger question is, what teams need a 2B?

I think you guys are way off. Harris is not going to be traded. Noone on the Sox has even seen Iguchi play yet. They have to sure of himbefore they can even think of trading Harris.

Also think about this, if Crede, Uribe or Iguchi goes down, who is going to fill in if Harris is gone. Just about all of the utility men and infielders are gone. Noone wants Aurilia. Larkin will probably retire unless someone promises him a starting job.

I say the Sox keep Harris and with good reason.

if Willie was really a big distraction he would of been gone b4 this trade i think this supposed bad character that people make him out to be is getting kind of ridiculous. Yeah him and Ozzie seemed at odds last year but hell Ozzie and Frank used to piss each other off so should we trade Frank away too? And maybe Ozzie was just more dissapointed than mad at Willie. :huh Regardless Willie is a great bench player and good insurance if Iguchi falters unless you want to see robbie alomar or wilson valdez your starting 2B.

Personally, I can't see where Barry Larkin would add anything to this team. There's no way he get 90 starts at SS. Uribe's our SS and he's not "unproven" at that position. Hell ... he's capable of winning a gold glove there. He proved himself with the bat last year.