Konerko -

SouthSideScraper

This being the last year on Konerko's contract and it being worth some 9 million dollars, the question needs to be asked.

What are the Sox going to do with him?

Now, for all of you who are going to tell me that this has been discussed over and over again, skip it. I didn't feel like reading through hondreds of pages of topics to find out..

If it hasn't been discussed then it should.

Having traded away most of our power producers, and Thomas' future being described as tetntative at best, do the Sox want to lock Konerko up for another few years, or do they look at his contract as a possible two or three more players as they have this season?

True we have added a ton of players to the talent pool and on paper things look great, however the Sox have a great ability at picking up players during their career slumps. Or for that matter at the end of their careers. Before I say that we are a play-off contender and that we're a shoe-in to beat Minnesota, I'd like to reserve my opinion until I see some spring training and a few season games.

We know Konerko has the potential. It was plain to see that he had it when we picked him up. Even if this is where he tops off....35 to 40 and over a 100 RBI's is a great place to be.

So do the Sox hold on to him or do we try to use the money from his contract to pick up a few more players that can grow? We did that this year.

I for one think we need him, not only for his bat, but for his attitude. A lot of players would talk up the great season they had, and all he could say was that he was sorry that he couldn't do more to help the team. That's stand up. The guys a good ball player and a good leader.

I could care less that he's a fan favorite. I think he is a crucial piece of the play-off puzzle.

You now have my opinion.....fire away.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He ain't Delgado, Sexson, or GLaus. That's the type of deal I think he;ll be looking for. I'd say see ya to Paulie and I'd be looking for a more of a versatile player. I'd get rid of him to not have to put up with his slowness or before he reverts to bad Paulie. I do however, anticipate him resigning as he is supposed to be good in the clubhouse and I think KW likes him.

He is one of Kenny's boys.

It'll be interesting to say the least. He isn't going to get Delgado money, but if he produces like he did last year, he'll be asking for it.

This is one of those times I say you have to roll the dice. Stick with him all season, and if we lose him to free agency so be it.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 08:09 PM)
He ain't Delgado, Sexson, or GLaus. That's the type of deal I think he;ll be looking for. I'd say see ya to Paulie and I'd be looking for a more of a versatile player. I'd get rid of him to not have to put up with his slowness or before he reverts to bad Paulie. I do however, anticipate him resigning as he is supposed to be good in the clubhouse and I think KW likes him.

Delgado>Pauly>Sexson/Glaus

3yrs/28-30 million should get it done...Pauly is the team leader and a face that fans recognize. You don't dump Pauly. He's truly a genuine person and one heckava hitter...I think it would be hard for KW and the Sox to lose Maggs/Carlos/Pauly in back-to-back seasons. I think Pauly will be here for a while...

This is your first post correct? Please don't tell us old timers here that you don't want to check on the past Konerko posts. Welcome to Soxtalk, but we have had ad nauseum topics on this issue. Konerko is staying and should stay as he is a team player, unselfish, wants to win and is a very productive hitter. Thanks!

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 08:19 PM)
I'm not sure why you think Paulie is better than Sexson or Glaus. Both need to show health but I think they are much better players than Konerko.

They all happened to become regulars at the same time in 99 -- These are career numbers, games/season since 99, and their last full season stats.

(.278/.345/.481) -- 147 games/Season -- last full season ('04)(.277/.359/.535)

(.271/.349/.528) -- 130 games/Season -- last full season ('03)(.272/.379/.548)

(.253/.357/.497) -- 130 games/Season -- last full season ('02)(.250/.352/.453)

Sexson might be an upgrade over Kong, but not at the increased price. Glaus doesn't really compare well, but he's at a less demanding offensive position. One that he should be moved from if Melvin knows whats good from him, and at all wants to keep him on the field for the duration of his 4 year deal.

I think it obviously depends on his performance and the team's peformance this season, and who will be available next off season. Frank will probably be bought out for $3.5, but could come back at a lower salary. So, assuming the team does well and attendance is up, the Sox may have some money to play with next off season. Who will be available at the end of the season? I don't know if Konerko is a guy you really want to lock up for a long time. I, for one, am still very concerned about his hip.

Thanks for the welcome to the forums...

I agree that locking Konerko up long term won't be a good idea, but I'm not saying long term. 3-4 years. He's 28 yrs old and still has a good swing. Besides, he's no stranger to being DH. Konerko is eventually going to fill a DH spot no matter where he plays. I agree that the degenerative hip is worrisome, and he is the slowest player in the league, but is a master a picking the ball, he plays his position well and seems to be able to read the batters well enough to know where to be. And for a first baseman, he has a pretty good arm. You don;t need too much speed at first base anyway.

Pauly gets the job done, and I think we need to make sure that we get the rest of the good years out of him.

I agree that we won't know if we want to keep him longer until we see him play agian this season, but that goes for any ball player. All players hit slumps...hell, look at Jeter and ARod last season. They didn't come around for a while. Yes, they ended up with good seasons, but that is a factor for anyone, and I don't want to see Pauly on the chopping block come July if that happens to him. He's a mental guy and isn't used to playing the hero. Look at the 2002 season. He was on top of the world come the All-Star break and deserved to be All-Star MVP, then all the attention hit him like a ton of bricks and slowed to a crawl for the rest of the season. 2003 wasn't any better until the end of the season....even then he was having foot problems. Then last year, he was the player we knew he could be and kicked ass.

It could have been a fluke, but we know better than that. When Pauly Ko gets hot, he's on fire.

Until these other new guys proove they're worth their salt, we need to make sure that we have some prooven talent on the team. Like I said, on paper things look great, but we're not going to know until the team plays and meshs'.

Konerko, if he stays healthy, is going to be a major factor in our success.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 02:52 AM)
This is your first post correct? Please don't tell us old timers here that you don't want to check on the past Konerko posts. Welcome to Soxtalk, but we have had ad nauseum topics on this issue. Konerko is staying and should stay as he is a team player, unselfish, wants to win and is a very productive hitter. Thanks!

What are you talking about? This is like the third post this offseason I've seen on this topic, and neither of them (that I recall) were as well thought out as this one. Great post, even though I may disagree with it.

Whoever said that Konerko should get 3 years, 28-30 million -- no way. I know Konerko is a great guy, a great team leader, but the fact still remains that he's uber-helped by playing at US Cellular Field. I love Paully as much as the next guy -- he had me in tears of joy when he hit that homer vs. Minny two years ago in the top of the tenth against Guardado -- but, he's gotta do better than .239 on the road for him to deserve a nine million per year contract.

Plus, if Ross Gload happens to hit well again this year, than I think you have a possible platoon (Rogo is a righty, correct? If he's not, my idea is shot down) in Gload/Rogowski -- the platoon would give you a better AVG, better OBP, less power, but better production all around. JMHO.

I wouldn't say to contract Pauly for 28-30 million dolalrs over three years either. Maybe for 15 - 20 over the next few years. It's still great money and as it was posted a little earlier, he isn't in this for the big money.

Gload is all right and he is a lefty. True he finished strong last season, but again. He needs to proove himself a little more. And unfortunately, that means moving Pauly to DH or benching him for those games. And if Thomas comes back strong, that means Pauly will be grabbing some bench.

I don't want to get off topic on a tangent.

Konerko is a good ball player who can only help our team. Whether it's at the plate or in the clubhouse, he produces.

QUOTE(SouthSideScraper @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 01:14 AM)
I wouldn't say to contract Pauly for 28-30 million dolalrs over three years either.  Maybe for 15 - 20 over the next few years.  It's still great money and as it was posted a little earlier, he isn't in this for the big money. 

Gload is all right and he is a lefty.  True he finished strong last season, but again.  He needs to proove himself a little more.  And unfortunately, that means moving Pauly to DH or benching him for those games.  And if Thomas comes back strong, that means Pauly will be grabbing some bench. 

I don't want to get off topic on a tangent.

Konerko is a good ball player who can only help our team.  Whether it's at the plate or in the clubhouse, he produces.

If konerko has another year like last year he will get at least eight million per year, most likely more. No way he takes a 10 to 15 million dollar paycut just because of loyalty.

IMO, Konerko is better than Sexson and Glaus.

He ain't Delgado, Sexson, or GLaus.

you are very correct about that, they are much more injury prone, and Paulie has been a consistent player whilest they have been out for periods of time. I think he is more valuable than them