Batting 3rd

Spod=Ratings

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people are mentioning Rowand in the 3rd slot. And now that I think about it, he would indeed fit in there. He can A) hit for power. and B) is capable of stealing 20-30 bases. A wise Sox fan mentioned to me how about Pods, Harris and Rowand leading off. And it made sense..why not have all that speed clustered at the top of the lineup. (Granite Iguchi will likely take over Harris spot- but he still has speed) Remember the mid-90's Cleveland Indians? They had Lofton, Vizquel and R. Alomar in the 1-3 slots. And they dominated the Central for years! And with a Pods, Iguchi, Rowand trio leading off the game we can see some major run manufacturing! I would like to see this on opening day:

1. Pods

2. Iguchi or Uribe

3. Rowand

4. Konerko

5. Everett

6. Dye

7. Pierzynski

8. Crede

9. Uribe or Iguchi (that way you will have 4 speedy guys in a row batting) :headbang

What do ya think?

Here's my opening day line up

1)Spod

2)Iggy

3)Rowand

4)Kong

5)Everett

6)Dye

7)Pierz

8)Uribe

9)Crede

Though we'll probably face a lefty... Everett is :puke vs. lefties .238/.301/.354(3-yr split)... So I'd drop him in the order --

NEVER EVER should Pierz bat behind Konerko... That's an automatic rally killer.. Dye or Rowand should always be behind Kong.

So my revised opening day lineup is like this

1) Spod

2) Iggy

3) Rowand

4) Kong

5) Dye

6) Pierz

7) Uribe

8) Jurassic

9) Crede

I wouldn't mind Everet hitting 3rd vs. RHP. he should probably consider abandoning Switch hitting... It's not really helping him any.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
I guess it's just me, but I don't like having a guy who put up averages of .252, .172, and .262 the last three years in the #3 spot... Doing so becasue he was the big FA acqusition or that's the spot in the order that the player he is replacing occupied, would be dumb.

i think JD will have a good yr playing at the cell. he should bat no lower than 270 assuming hes healthy. Ozzie was the one that said JD will bat third...his numbers werent that bad last yr...he just needs to stay healthy. i think he was a bargain.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
Dye will definitely be batting 3rd but I think it should be Aaron's spot until Frank is back.

why should rowand bat third? he hasnt deserved it yet. he had one good yr. we have to wait. hes usually always started out slow. i say we go with dye then see what happens. ;)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:03 PM)
High OBP, High batting average, Good Speed, Good Power.  He's a perfect number 3 hitter.

he wasnt able to do the simplier things like getting the guys in from third with less than two outs. lets not get ahead of ourselves. wait until he drives in atleast 95 runs :angry:

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
I want Kong there until Frank regains his rightful spot.

It won't be PK though.

The reason that Pauly won't be there is a philisophical one ---

With the first two batters getting on base at about a .350 clip each (just a rough estimate I'm using), The most often scenario in the first inning, has one of the first two batters reaching base, and the other not -- 1 on, 1 out. --

Putting Konerko, who's a nuetral GB/FB hitter, in the three spot with his severe lack of wheels would result in a DP on an extraordinary amount of AB's, ending the inning...

Frank was also slow, but he has a far superior OBP, and is an extreme flyball hitter, greatly reducing the opportunities for the rally killing DP

Rowand hits a lot of GB's but has the speed to leg it out, and is a higher avg. hitter. Maggs had the same type of make-up (some speed, high avg, slight GB hitter)

Dye, doesn't have Rowand's speed or avg, but does hit the ball in the air more often...

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:26 PM)
Can you name the last leadoff hitter that drove in 95 runs?

aaron didnt bat leadoff the whole yr...jhonny damon as the FULLTIME leadoff hitter drove in 94 runs, in 150 games. alfonso soriano did it for the yankees in 02 (100= rbi) :lol:

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:00 PM)
why should rowand bat third? he hasnt deserved it yet. he had one good yr. we have to wait. hes usually always started out slow. i say we go with dye then see what happens. ;)

Dye has done nothing to deserve the 3 spot with the WSox id have Paulie before Dye

For what it's worth: cbssportsline.com lineup

1. Scott Podsednik LF

2. Aaron Rowand CF

3. Paul Konerko 1B

4. Jermaine Dye RF

5. Carl Everett DH

6. Juan Uribe SS

7. A.J. Pierznynski C

8. Joe Crede 3B

9. Tadahito Iguchi 2B

I think Kaz has soured some analysts on MIF from Japan. He'll have a chance in ST to prove whether he should hit 2nd.

QUOTE(Spod=Ratings @ Feb 9, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
Dye has done nothing to deserve the 3 spot with the WSox id have Paulie before Dye

Paulies too slow. Dp's would be just waitning to happen.JD has done nothing to deserve it?

'99-.294,27,119

'00-.321,33,118

'01-.282,26,106

supposably "bad yrs":

'02-.252,23,86

'04-.265,23,80(137 games)

as you can see, when healthy JD is great. as of now he is healthy so hes our #3 hitter. wow! a-row had one good yr! :P