Sox trade Escobar to Washington Nationals

maggsmaggs

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To make room for Escobar, Washington designated an infielder for assignment, his name is Alejandro Machado.

Interesting stats in AA ... a switch hitter with speed:

#Machado, Alejandro 93 346 54 97 122 5 4 4 26 10 2 5 41 1 39 19 9 8 .280 .363 .353

Sorry the stats don't line up. Key numbers, 41 walks, 39 K's. 19 stolen bases, .280 average, .363 OBP.

Plays 2b and SS. He might be someone who's intriguing but he probably would've just been included in the trade. Chances are the Sox are looking for more experience anyway.

When drafted, Owens was considered very raw, he was a football player at UCLA (I think) before transferring to another California college to play baseball.

He's a little old (24) for A ball don't you think?  108G 292A, 1HR, 37RBI, 30B w Class A Savannah 2004.   6'3", 195#.  .292A   .365O   .349S   30/43 SB%   49WHBP  59K.

I think Escobar has a better future.

Why? Escobar is 26 and has done nothing in the majors. He was once a great prospect with the Mets but has done nothing since because of injuries. I'd rather have a leadoff hitter prospect incase Podsednik is a bust.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
He's a little old (24) for A ball don't you think?  108G 292A, 1HR, 37RBI, 30B w Class A Savannah 2004. 6'3", 195#.  .292A .365O .349S 30/43 SB% 49WHBP  59K.

I think Escobar has a better future.

He's about to turn 24, and maybe he'll be bumped to AA this year. I don't know that he will or won't, but having a guy with his speed could end up being a very good thing in the future. We have enough outfield depth for this year, Escobar was more of an insurance policy. However, if anyone were to go down, Anderson would probably be a better option anyhow, IMO.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Feb 13, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)
Why?  Escobar is 26 and has done nothing in the majors.  He was once a great prospect with the Mets but has done nothing since because of injuries.  I'd rather have a leadoff hitter prospect incase Podsednik is a bust.

This guy isn't even close to be a replacement if Pods is a bust, my friend. He is a ways away from the big leagues.

This was clearly a move to open roster space for a MIF signing.

I'd also like to add that this is a good deal (career wise) for Escobar, who pretty much had no shot of breaking camp with the Sox.

Now he goes to a Nationals team with an outfield of: Terrmel Sledge, Endy Chavez and Jose Guillen.

I think he's got a decent shot of being the 4th outfielder for them, if he does anything in spring training.