Fact or Fiction

aboz56

Since we all love to analyze, I figured I'd come up with a White Sox edition of Fact or Fiction again this season. If you're not familiar with the concept (as seen on Sportscenter) I am going to list a series of phrases and you, as the analyst :P get to respond with either Fact or Fiction. I'd also like to encourage a bit of justification for each of your answers, otherwise they'll probably be knocked down by others like a scarecrow is knocked down by a fierce wind storm.

So, here we go.

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season.

Fact or Fiction: Willie Harris will be on the White Sox opening day roster.

Fact or Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season.

Fact or Fiction: Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season.

Fact or Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season.

Fact or Fiction: Frank Thomas will play in more than 120 games this season.

Fact or Fiction: Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season.

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.

And finally....Fact or Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
Since we all love to analyze, I figured I'd come up with a White Sox edition of Fact or Fiction again this season.  If you're not familiar with the concept (as seen on Sportscenter) I am going to list a series of phrases and you, as the analyst  :P get to respond with either Fact or Fiction.  I'd also like to encourage a bit of justification for each of your answers, otherwise they'll probably be knocked down by others like a scarecrow is knocked down by a fierce wind storm.

So, here we go.

Fact or Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season.

Fact or Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season.

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.

And finally....Fact or Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

1. Fiction. But 4 of the 5 will win at least 15.

2. Fiction. He'll be traded.

3. Fact. El Duque will be healthy all year. He's fully recovered from his surgery.

4. Fact. He knows how to get hitters out.

5. Fiction. Spod will not come sloce to his '03 batting average.

6. Fact. I think Thomas will be ready to go from the opening bell.

7. Fact. he's too good of a hitter to keep on the bench.

8. Fact. Any of the other 3 are capable. I'd bet on Contreras doing it first.

9. Fact. Starting pitching, Frank Thomas and Iguchi will lead this team to the promised land.

Fiction: A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season.

Fact: Willie Harris will be on the White Sox opening day roster.

Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season.

Fiction: Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season.

Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season.

Fiction: Frank Thomas will play in more than 120 games this season.

Fact: Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season.

Fact: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.

(Garland will throw 2 in a row.)

Fact: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005, in fact, they will win the World Series!!!! :o

:gosox2:

Edited by santo=dorf

Fiction- 4 guys will win between 14-18 games this year though.

Fact- We are done making deals.

fact- I think he will pitch between 140-150.

Fact- He should reach the low 30's in saves.

Fiction- Pods will not set a career best in OBP or avg.

Fiction- Thomas will be plagued with injuries this year.

Fact- Frank will be out. Giving Everett at least 350 AB.

Fact- John Garland and Jose Contreras will both throw a CG Shutout.

Fact- They have the stuff to win the ALC.

Fact. A speedy lefty that works the count well, and plays multiple positions is a handy guy to have around. PLus, he's good insurance as Iguichi is far from a sure thing.

Fiction. He'll be very close though.

Fact. I think rumors of the league catching on to him are vastly overstated. If you can change speeds effectively, you're an effective major league pitcher period.

Fiction. He's had his career year.

Fact. He's due for a 2003 Moises Alou-type health resurgence

Fact. Didn't say they all had to be in a Sox uniform

Fiction. Complete game shutouts are tough for any pitcher.

Fact. At least I hope it's fact

Fiction A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season. - no one will get close. Probably two 16 game winners and three 12 game winners or so.

Fiction Willie Harris will be on the White Sox opening day roster. - Simply put, he gawn

Fact Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season. - 180 innings for Duque or so

Fact Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season. - for the first time since Keith Foulke in 2001, the Sox have a 30 save guy. Yes, 2001

Fiction Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season. - though .270-.345 are acceptable

Fiction Frank Thomas will play in more than 120 games this season. - I don't see him back until May, and he won't play everyday either, to try and ensure his health

Fiction Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season. - as I have said before, I would hope fact, but I don't think it will happen.

Fact A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season. - Jose Contreras will throw atleast one, perhaps two...and his ERA will still be around 4.50.

Fact The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005. - barely

Edited by witesoxfan

FICTION -- odds are always against it. I'd settle for having five starters win 10 or more and three of those five winning 17 or more.

FACT -- He's too versatile just to dump. Left-handed hitter who can run and play second base or center field. Don't give him away.

FACT -- but barely.

FICTION -- Hermanson will be the closer by mid June.

FICTION -- he'll never return to the numbers of his rookie year in Milwaukee, but he'll be better than last season.

FICTION -- He's a slow healer and solid play by Everett will ensure that there is no rush for Frank to return.

FACT: Carl is primed for a strong return --plus he's motivated because this is the final year of his contract.

FACT: Contreras almost did it in the final game of the season last year. Garland is capable.

FICTION: I hate the Twins, but I respect them until I see the Sox knock them off.

Fiction: I see no Sox starter winning 20, but I do see three out of five winning 14+, and no starter winning less than ten games.

Fact: I think there's a good chance he gets traded, but who knows -- I'll guess he stays with the Sox for a bit.

Fiction: But -- If El Duque does throw 140+, that's awesome. I personally see right around 120-130, but I hope I'm wrong.

Fiction: I don't think he'll reach 30, but I believe he'll be mid-20's. If we plan on being in a lot of close games, we better have a guy who can shut the door...

Fiction: No way Podsednik even comes close to his 2003 season. Hell, I doubt he even hits .300. I'll be pleased with .285/.350 from Podsednik this year.

Fiction: I see Thomas missing a bit more than a half of April, so there's 20 or so games missed right there. From there, I hope that he's eased back into the lineup, and rested more often than last season, even if he's DH. We need a healthy Thomas if we're going to make noise this season...

Fact: Carl will get his ABs in at DH, LF, and RF.

Fact: And, like others, I see Contreras doing it.

Fiction: Prove me wrong, Sox. Please, prove me wrong.

Nice thread idea Aboz.

Fact: A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season.

Fact: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season.

Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season.

Fact: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.

Fact: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

Fiction: Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season.

Fiction: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.

Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

Fiction - Guillen has been quoted in the press as late as this week saying that he will be reducing the innings load of both Buehrle and Garcia.

Fiction - Harris still has trade value, the Sox need a 2b/SS to come off the bench. I can see Arizona or St Louis as possible options.

Fact - His surgery and recovery look very positive, although, he may only get 175 IP or so this year. I think Guillen has plans to "wear out" the bullpen since he has so many arms available to him.

Fiction - Takatsu doesn't have the stamina to be in enough games to get 30 saves. Marte could possibly get 10-15 saves himelf this year.

Fiction - SPod will probably never increase his BA from his rookie stats. IMO, he will have a better BA and OPS from last year, but not a better BA than his rookie year, (maybe a better OPS though).

Fiction - There is an article out this week that refutes last weeks "Frank is healthy" article. It says that he is still in recovery stage. I can see 90-100 games possibly, though.

Fact - See the Frank Thomas question above.

Fact - With Garland's erratic pitching, he came close to one last year. I think he will get one this year.

Fact - Deeper bullpen, no question mark at #5 starter, and improved defense can finally push the Sox past Minnesota for the division title. (However, '06 could be Cleveland's year if they keep that team together.)

Yeah, fun thread Aboz...

Fact: A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season - and it will be Freddie, with MB at 16-18, and Garland turning a courner this year and getting 16.

Fact: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season - but not a whole lot more than that.

Fiction: Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season - no, but maybe 25, with Marte and Hermanson each getting 10+ as well.

Fiction Podsednik won't top his career high in either category.

Fiction: Sadly, mid-May for Frank's return, and if Carl's getting it done he'll come back slow.

Fact: Carl will be a difference maker this year

Fiction: Garland and Contreras will both get at least one CG each, but no SO.

Fact: The White Sox will win ALCS in 2005 - it's Spring Training and hope springs eternal... but screw it, the Twins are going down this year!

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

Fiction: But Buehrle will have 18.

Fiction: The Sox need a utility man who can play short as well.

Fact: 163.1, in fact.

Fact: With the improved bullpen depth, Shingo will have at least 36 saves.

Fiction: He will be better than last year, but won't have career highs in both.

Fiction: Sadly enough, Big Frank will only see the field for 105 games.

Fact: See above. Plus, he'll see some time in left when Pods is out.

Fact: Contreras 2-1, Garland 8-1, El Duque 11-1, Rest of Field 4-1.

Fact: 94-68.

That was fun. Now someone lose this thread so I don't have to see it in October.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
Since we all love to analyze, I figured I'd come up with a White Sox edition of Fact or Fiction again this season.  If you're not familiar with the concept (as seen on Sportscenter) I am going to list a series of phrases and you, as the analyst  :P get to respond with either Fact or Fiction.  I'd also like to encourage a bit of justification for each of your answers, otherwise they'll probably be knocked down by others like a scarecrow is knocked down by a fierce wind storm.

So, here we go.

1. Fiction. No reasoning, it's just so random that there's no way to predict the number of pitcher wins and only two AL pitchers won 20 last year so we'll go with no

2. Fact. I don't think we'll be able to work out a trade before Opening Day

3. Fiction. 120 seems to be a bit more accurate from what I've seen.

4. Fact. He's the real deal.

5. Fiction. I do think that Miller Park supressed his stats and that he'll split the difference between his road OBPs the last two years to post a .370ish OBP, but I'm not so sure about career highs, but we'll see. This is a soft "fiction"

6. Fact. He'll be back in early May and play about 125-130 games

7. Fact. Thomas's being out will help. Also I think he'll win the RF job by midseason over Dye.

8. Fact. Contreras against a really bad team.

Fact: Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season.

Fact: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season.

Fiction: Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season.

Fact : The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

This is a cool topic.

I think either Buehrle and Garcia have a good chance to win 20 games. They have the talent!

Wille isn't going anywhere yet. What if Iguchi is not that good over here? What if it takes him a while to adjust to MLB pitching? Who would the sox turn to if Willie was gone..

Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season.

I'm not really sure with his injury status..

Hitters were clearly starting to figure him out towards the end of the season. He still be very reliable but not as successful.

I think he will improve greatly over last year but will not repeat his '03 year.

..but whenever he does come back I feel he'll make a huge impact on the team.

Carl seems super determined..and I think he'll hit really well in the DH spot.

I think they all are capable of doing so.. I'm so optimistic. :)

The sox definitely have the talent to win the division..but so many players have question marks. If they all play to their capability, the division is theirs to take.

Fiction: We'll be in a lot more one run games so I expect the bullpen to amass its share of wins.

Fact: Willie is needed , the team is supposed to be based on speed and defense now and he provides both.

Fact: All indications say he's healty even if he's ancient.

Fact: Shingo is a pro's pro. If the new pitch he added is effective I see him challenging for the league lead in saves.

Fiction: That is laughable.

Fact: Frank is motivated to get 500 HR's, make the Hall of Fame, and make it hard on the Sox to get rid of him.

Fact: When SPod flops Everett will get his AB's.

Fact: It can happen. Garland's gotta get it right one of these years.

Fact: Minnesota's run is over. :gosox3:

1. Fiction. The sox have guys who are more likely to get 16-18 wins [mb, Freddy] than 20.

2. fiction. Willie will be traded by opening day. A utl guy will be brought in and take his spot

3. Fact. the Yanks let him throw close to 100 pitches in the first games back [i think he went over 100 in his 2nd game] because their pitching sucked and it took a strain on him. He should be stronger in his 2nd yr back from injury

4. Fact. the additions to the pen will allow Shingo to just throw one inning. Lights out baby

5. Fiction. It'll be hard to improve upon his 2003 yr. Yet he should be able to get to over .280 avg and .340 OBP

6. Fact. The Sox will go slow with him to save him for the entire yr. But they'll want him in as many games as possible. They'll also pinch run for hit late in games to rest him, that way they can get him AB's but keep him fresh

7. Fact. the Sox want to keep guys like Dye, Frank, Aaron and Pods fresh. And with Carl the sox only LH power, they'll find him those Ab's.

8. Fact. Both Contreras and Garland will have the opportunity to go deep into games. Both also have the talent to do it. The Sox want to keep El Duque fresh. they won't give him many chances to throw 9 innings [unless its in the playoffs]

9. Fact. The twins everyday lineup has a lot holes, and their pitchers will be hard pressed to match what they did in 2004. They'll miss guys like Koskie, Guzman, and Mientkwitz. Cle. won't progress like most people think. They should stay near .500, though they could pass the Twins.

Fact or Fiction: Fiction. Garcia and Buerhle will both win more than 15 games but less than 20.

Fact or Fiction: Fiction. He'll be traded along with Jon Adkins in a 3 way deal with the Sox ending up with Cintron and a lower level prospect.

Fact or Fiction: Fiction. I just think the Sox will be real careful with this guy, and they'll want to save him for the August, September run. That said, I don't know who's going to take his spot in the rotation, and I hope it won't be B-Mac.

Fact or Fiction: Fact. The Sox know how to handle him now, and although his ERA will probably rise a little, he should still get 30 saves.

Fact or Fiction: Fiction. But he'll be better than he was in 2004 for damn sure. I'm thinkin he'll hit about .275, with an OBP of around .350.

Fact or Fiction: Fiction. He'll miss the first month, plus won't play in the NL games.

Fact or Fiction: Fact. I think he'll start the season out hot, and the Sox will be forced to keep giving him AB's.

Fact or Fiction: Fact. Contreras looks most likely.

And finally....Fact or Fiction: Fiction. Sorry but I still think the Twinkies are the ones to beat, and they'll be getting a whole season's production out of Mauer and Morneau. Provided their rotation remains sound, and Joe Mays can be a good #5 starter, I think we'll get close, but it still won't be enough.

Fiction- Buehrle and Garcia will get 17 and 16 wins respectivly.

Fiction- Willie will be gone part way through springtraining.

Fact- El Duque will be good for 150 innings.

Fiction- Hermanson will be the closer by June.

Fiction- He will have a good year but will not beet his career numbers.

Fiction- He won't be back until mid May and they will use him cautiously at first.

Fact- He can bat lefty and he is in shape, they will find ways to get him in the lineup at DH or in the OF.

Fact- B-Mac gets in done after getting called up to make a spot start in a double header in August.

The last one is to tough to call as I can really see things going either way for the Sox this year.

Fact: Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season.