Fact or Fiction

aboz56

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season.

Fiction: Watch Buehrle come agonizingly close.

Fact or Fiction: Willie Harris will be on the White Sox opening day roster.

Fact: He'll be one of our utility guys.

Fact or Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season.

Fact: But I'd be surprised if it's a whole lot more.

Fact or Fiction: Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season.

Fiction: I'm thiking 20-25.

Fact or Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season.

Fiction: New high for OBP but not BA.

Fact or Fiction: Frank Thomas will play in more than 120 games this season.

Fact: Watch for a rejuvenated Frank.

Fact or Fiction: Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season.

Fiction: Not with all the OF depth and Frank coming back

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.

Fact: Most likely Contreras.

And finally....Fact or Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

Fact: We didn't make these moves to lose.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take a stab, haven't read others yet.

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season.-Fiction. The AL will go without a 20 game winner this year but Garcia will win 17 and Buehrle 18.

Fact or Fiction: Willie Harris will be on the White Sox opening day roster. Fact. He will spend the entire season on the roster

Fact or Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season. Fiction. I see him making about 20 starts for about 120 innings. That said, he'll be there at the finish.

Fact or Fiction: Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season. Fact. He might not clear it by much but I think that we'll win enough close games to give him 35 saves. The era will rise a little though, to around 3.40

Fact or Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season. Definite Fiction. I think his average and obp will be better than a year ago, but nowhere near the numbers he put up in 03. I also think he will fail to nab 70 bases and ends up with 54 steals, less than Carl Crawford.

Fact or Fiction: Frank Thomas will play in more than 120 games this season.-Fact. I think he misses the first 15-20 games and misses a few more due to interleague play. I think he winds up with 130 games played when all is said and done.

Fact or Fiction: Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season. Fact. The caveat being that crazy carl is not a white sox player in july. I think he gets few ab;s after frank is back and gets moved.

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.Fact. There is no chance of Duque sniffing the 9th and Jon ain't getting there either. That leaves Jose Contreras with a dominant performance, surely against a bad team like KC.

And finally....Fact or Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.Fiction. A full year of Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau leave Minnesota with about 94 wins. Needless to say, the wild card is not an option.

I figured I'd throw out a few more fact or fictions, if that's cool with everyone...

Fact or Fiction -- The five starters that will start the season (Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Contreras, Hernandez) will combine for 70 or more wins.

Fact or Fiction -- Iguchi will post numbers (talking BA and OBP exclusively) better than Kaz Matsui did last season (.272/.331).

Fact or Fiction -- Joe Crede will rebound from last season, hit above .260 and hit 20+ homers.

Facto or Fiction -- AJ Pierzynski will post numbers better than his personal best season of 2003 (.312/.360, 11 HR, 74 RBIs).

I'll give my answers later...

Fact: Ozzie is a dope. And I'm not reading anything written in the papers about the sox until they actually start to play games...

A career .307 OBP leading off? WTF!? -- Newsflash not olny is Uribe a starter for the Low-OBP all-stars, he got thrown out 11 times in 20 SB attempts. Why? Ozzie Why?

having him hit second otherwise? WTF!? -- your team had the fewest RISP opportunities last year because of an anemic OBP. You want to bury these guys at the bottom of the order!!!

Rowand in left so he won't get hurt? WTF!? -- He's going to run into walls and dive for balls there too.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 20, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
Fact: Ozzie is a dope.  And I'm not reading anything written in the papers about the sox until they actually start to play games...

A career .307 OBP leading off? WTF!? -- Newsflash not olny is Uribe a starter for the Low-OBP all-stars, he got thrown out 11 times in 20 SB attempts.  Why? Ozzie Why?

having him hit second otherwise? WTF!? -- your team had the fewest RISP opportunities last year because of an anemic OBP.  You want to bury these guys at the bottom of the order!!!

Rowand in left so he won't get hurt? WTF!? -- He's going to run into walls and dive for balls there too.

I think Ozzie is just talking out of his ass for the helluv it lately, I would take everything he says before games with a grain.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Feb 18, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
Since we all love to analyze, I figured I'd come up with a White Sox edition of Fact or Fiction again this season.  If you're not familiar with the concept (as seen on Sportscenter) I am going to list a series of phrases and you, as the analyst  :P get to respond with either Fact or Fiction.  I'd also like to encourage a bit of justification for each of your answers, otherwise they'll probably be knocked down by others like a scarecrow is knocked down by a fierce wind storm.

So, here we go.

Fact or Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season.

Fact or Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season.

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.

And finally....Fact or Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

Fiction

Fact

Fact

Fiction

Fiction

Fiction

Fact

Fact

Fiction

Fact....I think Buehrle will be a 20 game winner with Garcia coming right behind him and getting quite close

Fact....Regardless of Iguchi's potential, he's still unproven and because of that the Sox are going to keep Willie as a backup plan. I also am a firm believer that if dealt, Willie will have a good major league career.

Fiction. No chance in hell.

Fact. This team has a good bullpen and he's gonna get plenty of save opportunities. He's got a nasty changeup to go with his fastball and since he doesn't depend on his velocity I tend to think he's one of those guys that can be sucessful even as he continues to get older.

Fiction...I think he will have a good season, but he's not going to put up the rookie numbers in hitting.

Fiction...unless we are adding playoff games into the mix.

Fact. Most definately. Carl is going to be a bigtime contributor and you'll see him have a very good season in a type of 10th man role.

Fact. Jon Garland will as will Contreras. El Duque will not throw a complete game and the Sox would be nuts if they let him considering how fragile he is.

Fact...they have the bullpen and lineup to do it, assuming the rotation stays healthy and Contreras and Garland can improve and pitch close to there potential, this team has staying power.

Fiction: A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season.

Fact: Willie Harris will be on the White Sox opening day roster.

Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season.

Fiction: Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season.

Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season.

Fiction: Frank Thomas will play in more than 120 games this season.

Fiction: Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season.

Fact: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season.

Fact: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

Fiction....Buehrle will be lucky to get to 17. Garcia will flop.

Fact....Why not? It's not like they can trade him anywhere. Who would want the bum?

Fiction......Not going to happen.

Fiction......I think the league got a good look at him last year. Expect him to give up alot of long balls this year. GONG!

Fiction...It shouldn't be that hard for him to do either, but this career minor leaguer will make Williams look like a moron.

Fiction...Franks days are numbered.

Fiction.......Look for some sort of season ending injury before the All-Star break.

Fiction......It seems simple enough. But, it ain't gonna happen.

Fact or Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

Fiction.....YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD!!!!!!!!!!

:gosox1:

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Feb 21, 2005 -> 09:58 PM)

Fiction....Buehrle will be lucky to get to 17. Garcia will flop.

Fact....Why not? It's not like they can trade him anywhere. Who would want the bum?

Fiction......Not going to happen.

Fiction......I think the league got a good look at him last year. Expect him to give up alot of long balls this year. GONG!

Fiction...It shouldn't be that hard for him to do either, but this career minor leaguer will make Williams look like a moron. 

Fiction...Franks days are numbered.

Fiction.......Look for some sort of season ending injury before the All-Star break.

Fiction......It seems simple enough. But, it ain't gonna happen.

Fact or Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005.

Fiction.....YOU CAN PUT IT ON THE BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOARD!!!!!!!!!!

:gosox1:

lolz :lolhitting

Edited by witesoxfan

How about some new questions to keep this thread going? We'll go with a Southside/Northside theme this time.

Fact or Fiction The Cubs will win more games than the White Sox

Fact or Fiction Jon Garland will win more games than Kerry Wood

Fact or Fiction Carlos Zambrano will win more games than Mark Buehrle

Fact or Fiction Scott Podsednik will steal more bases than the whole Cubs team

Fact or Fiction The Cubs attendance will average 15,000 per game higher than the Sox

Fact or Fiction Jermaine Dye will out homer Jeromy Burnitz

Fact or Fiction Latroy Hawkins will have a lower ERA than Damaso Marte

Fact or Fiction The White Sox will finish higher in the standings than the Cubs will

I figured I'd throw out a few more fact or fictions, if that's cool with everyone...

Fact or Fiction -- The five starters that will start the season (Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Contreras, Hernandez) will combine for 70 or more wins.

Fact - But not much more 70-73 wins most likely. (MB + FG ~ 36, JG 14, OH 12, JC 15)

Fact or Fiction -- Iguchi will post numbers (talking BA and OBP exclusively) better than Kaz Matsui did last season (.272/.331).

Faction? - I see the BA being right around .272 with the OBP hopefully a little bit higher

Fact or Fiction -- Joe Crede will rebound from last season, hit above .260 and hit 20+ homers.

Fact - I see Crede hitting .265 with 25 homers and 80 RBIs, solid production from the 8 spot

Facto or Fiction -- AJ Pierzynski will post numbers better than his personal best season of 2003 (.312/.360, 11 HR, 74 RBIs).

Fact and Fiction - His homeruns and BA should be higher (.315, 18-20 HR) but his RBI production will be down (65-70 RBIs)

Fiction: But at least three of the five starters will with more than 15.

Fact: Willie will be on the roster. But he will be trade bait come July.

Fact: In fact, El Duque is my bet for Comeback Player of the Year.

Fiction: I think Ozzie is going to pick Shingo's spots, I think he, Marte and Hermanson will all collect saves this year.

Fiction: But he will produce somewhere between his 2003 and 2004 numbers, which is good enough to kick start the offense

Fact: Frank will be in the lineup by May. He's playing for a contract.

Fact: I can see him playing in Right instead of Dye when the matchup is right

Fact: Garland will do it.

Fact: I think this team is being grossly underrated in the press. I think the mainstream media is taking a wait and see approach.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
How about some new questions to keep this thread going?  We'll go with a Southside/Northside theme this time.

Fact or Fiction The Cubs attendance will average 15,000 per game higher than the Sox

Fact or Fiction The White Sox will finish higher in the standings than the Cubs will

Fact

Fiction

Fiction

Fact

Fact

Fiction

Fact

Fact

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Feb 23, 2005 -> 07:59 PM)

Fact - But not much more 70-73 wins most likely. (MB + FG ~ 36, JG 14, OH 12, JC 15)

Faction? - I see the BA being right around .272 with the OBP hopefully a little bit higher

Fact - I see Crede hitting .265 with 25 homers and 80 RBIs, solid production from the 8 spot

Fact and Fiction - His homeruns and BA should be higher (.315, 18-20 HR) but his RBI production will be down (65-70 RBIs)

Fact

Fact

fact

Fiction

Fact: The Cubs' shaky bullpen is the main reason why.

Fiction: Assuming they both stay healthy, Wood will have more starts and more wins. But his win% might be worse.

Fiction: This assumes that Zambrano will have problems handling the pressure of being the Number One guy.

Fact: That is one old, slow bunch of guys they've assembled.

Fiction: More like 12,000.

Fact: Burnitz's power numbers are going to nosedive in a remarkable way with the move from Coors to Wrigley.

Fiction: I've seen plenty of LaTroy over the years and he's very sensitive -- I don't see this, unless the Cubs' fans lay off of him, which I also don't see.

Fact: Since I've already said that the Sox are going to win the division, don't I have to say this?

Fact: The five starters that will start the season (Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Contreras, Hernandez) will combine for 70 or more wins - Buehrle - 16, Garcia - 16, Duque - 14, Garland - 12, Contreras - 12 = 70 wins exactly

Fiction: Iguchi will post numbers (talking BA and OBP exclusively) better than Kaz Matsui did last season (.272/.331) - this going by the old if one part is false, it is all false. His average will be in the .260's, but his OBP will be in the .340's-.350's.

Fact: Joe Crede will rebound from last season, hit above .260 and hit 20+ homers - .265 25 70 .750 or so seems reasonable from Joe.

Fiction: AJ Pierzynski will post numbers better than his personal best season of 2003 (.312/.360, 11 HR, 74 RBIs) - I'm thinking more around .290 15 60 from AJ...which is a huge improvement over anything we have had since the second half of 2000.

Fiction: The Cubs will win more games than the White Sox - though I wouldn't put money on it. There is a good chance the Cubs could be a 90+ win team...but I see them in the mid 80's again...and I have the Sox down for 89 wins.

Fiction: Jon Garland will win more games than Kerry Wood - Kerry Wood, while injury prone and lacking control, is a horse and will win around 15 games...Jon Garland can't win more then 12. This is, of course, assuming Wood stays healthy, which is not a guarantee

Fact: Carlos Zambrano will win more games than Mark Buehrle - I see Zambrano in the 18 win range, while Buehrle is only at 16...but again, this is not something I would put money on. There is a chance Zambrano only wins around 15 or 16, and there is a chance Buehrle wins 18 or even 20.

Fiction: Scott Podsednik will steal more bases than the whole Cubs team - Pods will run a lot, but I think the Cubs team should steal more then 50 bases this year, which is about what I have Pods at.

Fiction: The Cubs attendance will average 15,000 per game higher than the Sox - The Sox will average around 25,000 this year...I'm not sure it is possible to even get 40,000 in Wrigley, but regardless, it won't happen.

Fact: Jermaine Dye will out homer Jeromy Burnitz - Jermaine Dye goes from a slight hitter's park to a very good hitter's park, Jeromy Burnitz goes from a hitter's paradise to a neutral field, or perhaps even one that favors pitchers. You also have seen what Burnitz does when he is playing on a contender(in 2002 with the Mets, 2003 with the Dodgers...if you want numbers...2002 - .215 19 54 .677 in 479 AB's, 2003 - .204 13 32 .643 in 230 AB's). Dye could very well put up 30 homers, Burnitz will be lucky to put up 25.

Fiction: Latroy Hawkins will have a lower ERA than Damaso Marte - Hawkins is a poor closer, while Marte is going to be in relief all year. I expect a bounce back year from Marte with an ERA in the mid 2's, while I expect a year where LaTroy has an ERA in the mid 3's. Marte's WHIP will also be better then Hawkins'.

Fact: The White Sox will finish higher in the standings than the Cubs will - simply because that is not hard to do. I'm not sure if the Cubs can finish any higher then 2nd, and they could very well finish 3rd, and I think the Sox win the division, so this was pretty easy for me. This also means that the White Sox could hypothetically win 81 games, win the division, and the Cubs could win 95 games, and finish 2nd...I still win this.

Fact - The Sox aren't as good as it seems, and the Cubs aren't as bad as it seems.

Fiction -- Why put any money on ole 12 win Judy

Fact -- Z = Stud

Fiction -- Pods would need an OBP in the 400's to do that. I'm hoping he doesn't approach the Bowa Barrier of .300

Fiction -- Sox attendance will be up slightly this season, Cubs wil be down slightly

Fact -- No Coors for Burnitz spells trouble. The Cell should add to Dye's total.

Fact -- He's done it 2 of the last three years.

Fact -- Cards > Twins

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starting pitcher will win 20 games this season. -- Fiction

Fact or Fiction: Willie Harris will be on the White Sox opening day roster. -- Fact

Fact or Fiction: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez will toss more than 140 innings this season. -- Fact

Fact or Fiction: Shingo Takatsu will record more than 30 saves this season. -- Fact

Fact or Fiction: Scott Podsednik will set a career high in both batting average and OBP this season. -- False

Fact or Fiction: Frank Thomas will play in more than 120 games this season. -- Fact

Fact or Fiction: Carl Everett will get more than 350 at-bats this season. -- Fact

Fact or Fiction: A White Sox starter other than Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia will throw a complete game shutout this season. -- Fact

Fact or Fiction: The White Sox will win the American League Central in 2005. -- Fact :)

• 1 year later...