Frank invited to testify about steroids

CSF

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Frank has spoken about his frustration competing against guys on steriods before, Schilling is pretty outspoken about everything. It may be why they are invited.

I would venture to guess that this is pretty close to the truth.

Frank has said for years that he is more then willing to be the first in line to test...he is very much against roids.

The general consesus around baseball is that frank is 100% clean.

There aren't even doubts in people's minds really.

Frank will go there and do what he's got to do for the good of the game of baseball.

Rock on frank.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
You guys are exactly on point. I am not happy that they invited Frank. Schilling will escape criticism because he's a media darling of sorts, but I worry that Frank's name will be dragged through the mud a little bit. That said, who knows if he'll even show.

if he doesnt it will look worse....

nto that I don't agree with you on that, but Frank sometimes marches to his own beat. I'm not sure that he should be subjected to scrutiny if he chooses not to go, but you are right that he would be. Perhaps they asked him there just tio see if his part of the book was true, thus either damaging or strengthening Canseco's credibility.

From ESPN:

Updated: Mar. 3, 2005, 6:58 PM ET

McGwire, Giambi, Schilling also on list

Associated Press

WASHINGTON -- Former slugger Jose Canseco and several players he has accused of joining him in abusing steroids have been invited to testify before a House committee.

"There's a cloud over baseball, and perhaps a public discussion of the issues, with witnesses testifying under oath, can provide a glimpse of sunlight," said Rep. Tom Davis, R-Va., chairman of the House Government Reform Committee.

Davis and the top Democrat on the panel, Rep. Henry Waxman of California, announced Thursday that they were inviting Canseco and six other former or active players, including the New York Yankees Jason Giambi and former St. Louis Cardinals star Mark McGwire, to testify at a March 17 hearing.

A spokeswoman for Waxman, who last week wrote Davis to urge hearings on baseball's response to the steroid scandal, said they don't know if the players will agree to attend. Commissioner Bud Selig also has been invited.

Canseco, in a recently released book, admits using steroids and alleges that he injected the drugs with McGwire and introduced steroids to other stars, including Rafael Palmeiro of the Baltimore Orioles. Palmeiro and others named by Canseco have denied using the performance-enhancing drugs.

The San Francisco Chronicle reported in December that Giambi told a federal grand jury in 2003 that he had used steroids.

Also on the invitation list are Palmeiro, Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling, current Baltimore Orioles slugger Sammy Sosa and Frank Thomas of the Chicago White Sox.

Major League Baseball and the players' association in January agreed to a tougher steroid-testing program in the wake of allegations that Giambi and San Francisco Giants star Barry Bonds were steroid users. Bonds also has denied knowingly taking the drugs

Waxman's just a big dick, he'll say anything and ruin anybody to get his name in the papers, he's the congressional equivalent of Jay Mariotti. I don't know Davis but expect no good to come from this.

Thomas should be infuriated.

He has never been implicated as a steroid user, so what exactly warrants his name on this list? I agree with everyone this doesn't look good. Not because of any potential finger pointing, but associating with these supposed steroid users will raise eyebrows. Baseball fans unfamiliar with Frank won't know any better.

I'm interested in hearing Thomas' response. I wouldn't mind seeing Thomas completely descredit steroid users, in addition to demanding his 2000 MVP trophy from Giambi. :D

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I think this can only help Frank, that is unless he really is using which I think we all dont think is the case. Frank gets the chance to speak the truth in front of Congress and basically say, "No, I have been clean and I have put up my numbers without any help." Meanwhile, Bonds, Giambi, Canseco, Sosa, etc. get to say "Oh, I used." This can only help Frank's image. Frank is going to look like a darling and the media is going to use his name as the "good" and the rest of the names as the "bad". If I was Frank, I'd jump all over this opportunity...

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
I think this can only help Frank, that is unless he really is using which I think we all dont think is the case.  Frank gets the chance to speak the truth in front of Congress and basically say, "No, I have been clean and I have put up my numbers without any help."  Meanwhile, Bonds, Giambi, Canseco, Sosa, etc. get to say "Oh, I used."  This can only help Frank's image.  Frank is going to look like a darling and the media is going to use his name as the "good" and the rest of the names as the "bad".  If I was Frank, I'd jump all over this opportunity...

Bonds already tried to wriggle out of some of his steroids accusations by saying that he did them "unintentionally"...so what's to stop him from saying that again? What is stopping Sosa from saying he didn't take them? What is stopping McGwire from saying that? What is stopping Palmeiro from saying that?

Yeah, if they get caught in that lie, they could be in trouble...but as I say, you ain't breaking the law until you get caught.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
Bonds already tried to wriggle out of some of his steroids accusations by saying that he did them "unintentionally"...so what's to stop him from saying that again?  What is stopping Sosa from saying he didn't take them?  What is stopping McGwire from saying that?  What is stopping Palmeiro from saying that? 

Yeah, if they get caught in that lie, they could be in trouble...but as I say, you ain't breaking the law until you get caught.

Giambi denied denied denied before being put on that stand. Sure, they might say they "didn't know that they were steroids", but even if they say that they still come out as cheaters and Franks looks beautiful. There is way too much heat on this steroids issue to deny it in front of Congress because chances are this is going to lead to an investigation and if you are caught lying before Congress that in itself is a hell of a lot worse than admitting to steroid use, where nothing but your image with take a hit.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
Giambi denied denied denied before being put on that stand.  Sure, they might say they "didn't know that they were steroids", but even if they say that they still come out as cheaters and Franks looks beautiful.  There is way too much heat on this steroids issue to deny it in front of Congress because chances are this is going to lead to an investigation and if you are caught lying before Congress that in itself is a hell of a lot worse than admitting to steroid use, where nothing but your image with take a hit.

Nothing but their image will take a hit. That is true.

These guys also have egos the size of Texas. If their image takes a hit, that would mean a ton.

I'm just saying, nothing is stopping them from 'fibbing.'

Also, the way Thomas comes across to the media, the way he answers questions...I am not sure the results will be pleasant.

Here's how I see this story playing out: IF Mac, Raffy and Hurt show up, they will not say much besides denials. I think Schilling will have a few noteworthy quotes but all the drama will be if a congressman starts grilling Canseco, who is probably not articulate enough to get his way out of such a situation. Now if Bonds were there, there would be fireworks and record ratings for c-span

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
Nothing but their image will take a hit.  That is true.

These guys also have egos the size of Texas.  If their image takes a hit, that would mean a ton. 

I'm just saying, nothing is stopping them from 'fibbing.' 

Also, the way Thomas comes across to the media, the way he answers questions...I am not sure the results will be pleasant.

So you think these guys are willing to risk prison time for their egos? I would hope for their sake that wasn't the case.

Here's what I believe will clear Frank's name.

Thomas was a tight end and linebacker at Auburn, so he obviously does football training. Weights, and speed, though not excelling at speed :bang , he has got huge muscles that look pure.

If I were Frank, I'd piss in a f***ing cup and prove those bastards wrong.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
So you think these guys are willing to risk prison time for their egos?  I would hope for their sake that wasn't the case.

If they think they can get away with it, of course they would.

What you cannot prove is not true...or so that saying goes.