Around The Majors

Hmm...

Zito. I know he seems appealing, but I really don't think he'd be effective pitching at the Cell. He seems the perfect candidate for a big park, like Seattle.

I love the Brewers, but I'm hoping that they don't reach an extension with Sheets. I'd kill to see that guy in a Sox uniform, and not just someone from this site doing photoshop either... :P

• Replies 871
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
as much as Ben Sheets would look good in a sox uniform it just aint going to happen.... i was hoping we could get him in that carlos lee trade but that was our only chance  :crying

Um, says who?

I'm sure Milwaukee would think about a BMac, Fields, and Anderson offer for Sheets...or it would atleast get discussions started.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 06:49 PM)
and im sure that id rather get a pitcher that isnt in his contract year about to demand a lot of money and give up 3 of our top 4 prospects  :chair

If the deal were to be contingent on him signing a long term deal than I definately would think it would be worth it. But if it was only a rent a player than I agree.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
even if we it was a sign and trade deal idonno if id really want to package 3 of our top 4 prospects...we arent a true big market team i think we really need to stop acting like one with trading away all our prospects who are paid cheap.

For a virtual guaranteed 17-20 wins and an ERA in the 3.00 range, with a K/9 of around 10, and a K/BB of 7-8?!

Those types of pitchers don't grow on trees.

We would probably have to give up Garland...they would need a replacement in the rotation, and we'd need to make room in ours...but no one would have a problem with that. If we could get Sheets(and maybe a decent prospect for Garland) for BMac, Fields, Anderson(, and Garland), and you can sign him longterm, you should almost do that without thinking.

That being said...our rotation is set...and we will be fine without Sheets. That's the only reason you don't make the move.

Quite honestly, you can look across the major leagues, and there are probably quite a few teams that are a Ben Sheets away from winning their division and making noise in the playoffs...we are one of those teams.

I'm going to bury this up here, because if I gave it it's own thread it would quickly degrade into a flamewar about our cheap owner.

Tigers Owner, Illitch: I'll Spend until we Win

LAKELAND, Fla. -- "We're going to keep spending until we win."

Tigers owner Mike Ilitch, who spoke those words Monday at Marchant Stadium, can't put his plan in simpler or clearer terms.

It should be noted that Illitch bought the team in 1992. The Tigers have had ONE(1993) winning season in that span.

More Morneau carnage:

Justin Morneau will miss a couple of days after having a cyst removed on Monday.

It just never seems to end. The cyst developed around the surgical scar from where Morneau had his appendix removed in October. He's fine to play up until the procedure, and he shouldn't miss much time afterward. Mar. 9 - 9:18 pm et

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

=The White Sox top the Majors with 24 doubles this spring.

=White Sox leadoff hitters have combined to go 18-for-42, a .429 average, in the first 10 games.

=The White Sox bullpen has allowed 10 earned runs in 35 1/3 innings for a 2.55 ERA in the past five games.

Timo's contributed as well.

A team now built on P+D needs doubles more than HRs.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 11, 2005 -> 08:40 AM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

=The White Sox top the Majors with 24 doubles this spring.

=White Sox leadoff hitters have combined to go 18-for-42, a .429 average, in the first 10 games.

=The White Sox bullpen has allowed 10 earned runs in 35 1/3 innings for a 2.55 ERA in the past five games.

Timo's contributed as well.

A team now built on P+D needs doubles more than HRs.

That's what I like to see

The NL West is going to be a two-team race between San Francisco and San Diego. If Woody Williams can make 30 starts, the Padres have the look of a team that can hang with the Giants, who are better than the team that won 91 games a year ago. . . . Signing Carlos Lee to a long-term contract is going to be tough for Milwaukee, especially if his quick start to the spring (7-for-16 with four homers and 11 RBIs) portends a monster season. . . . Texas first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, Kansas City third baseman Mark Teahen, Milwaukee first baseman Prince Fielder and Angels catcher Jeff Mathis are among the young hitters who are making big impressions this spring. Gonzalez, who hit .304 with 12 homers in Triple A last year, could make Mark Teixeira expendable in a midseason deal for pitching. . . . Rookie Chin-hui Tsao is making a push for the vacant closer's job in Colorado. . . . Alfonso Soriano is becoming a big concern for Texas. He was hitless in his first 13 at-bats and moving poorly in the field, as he was at the end of 2004. . . .

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 14, 2005 -> 02:16 PM)
Where is that from? Because i don't know who they are trying to fool, teixeira is going no where any time soon.

From one of Phil Rogers latest pieces.