Buerhle Injury Update

quickman

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 11:43 PM)
A guy at WSI posted a video of Kenny posing as a Comcast reporter and interviewing Herm Schneider and Buehrle.  Here's the 12 meg video...

http://home.comcast.net/~sungho.ko/kenny2.avi

Right-click the link and save it to your desktop.  Hilarious. :lol:  Boy, did the media blow this out of proportion or what?  I love how Kenny took the chance to rub it in their faces.

No more "intense shagging" Buehrle! :nono  :lolhitting

Kenny rubbing it in their faces? He's the guy who said Buerhle was out 4 to 6 weeks.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
So he would be facing a minor league team twice. Who cares?

Apparently you don't.. so why bother to make a comment..?

The point was that he was incorrect in the matchups.

Speaking of Buerhle, here's a really good article from Mike Imrem of the Daily Herald about the lack of media buzz around Mark's injury in this town;

The earth didn’t shake Monday morning when word circulated that Mark Buehrle injured his foot shagging flyballs.

I mean, this wasn’t the Cubs. It was the White Sox. It wasn’t Mark Prior. It was Mark Buehrle. It wasn’t People glitz and glamour. It was Popular Mechanics nuts and bolts.

Nothing might symbolize the relative statuses of Chicago’s baseball teams better than the responses to their respective recent pitching crises.

Prior and Kerry Wood went down with ailing arms last week. When they were scratched from the season-opening series at Arizona, you would have thought the pope and president were spitting up blood.

Buehrle? Pending the outcome of further tests, he might be scratched from Opening Day and maybe longer. It would be as big an “Ouch!” for his team as a Prior or Wood absence is for his.

Maybe bigger, in fact. Maybe big enough that when Buehrle is absent, somebody finally notices him. Until now he could have been the object of the country lyric, “How can I miss you if you never go away?”

Buehrle has been one of baseball’s most unspectacularly outstanding players the past few years, quietly becoming a No. 1 pitcher if not an actual ace.

But Buehrle’s reputation didn’t precede him to the big leagues. He didn’t burst onto the scene with a $10 million signing bonus. He doesn’t throw hard enough to wow you with 20 strikeouts in a game. All he does is sneak up on hitters as well as victories.

If Buehrle were a Cub he would be glorified as a cerebral, crafty, consistent winner. He would be Greg Maddux, or at least the next Maddux, or possibly the left-handed Maddux.

Instead, he’s merely the current Buehrle, which is plenty good enough for the Sox. He won 65 games for them over the past four seasons, never less than 14 or more than 19.

Yet probably only serious Sox fans experienced chest pains when word circulated that Buehrle suffered a possible hairline fracture of his left foot. The news didn’t reverberate throughout Chicago as if Buehrle were Wood, or throughout baseball as if he were Prior.

When Prior and Wood were shut down recently, it became the stuff of “SportsCenter” segments. The Cubs’ hardship was discussed on “Pardon the Interruption.” It was serious, by golly, because they are the Cubs, by gosh.

Never mind that Buehrle has been more reliable than either Prior or Wood. He has done more for longer than Prior and accomplished more with less than Wood.

But Buehrle barely dented Monday’s 5 p.m. “SportsCenter” and I missed it if he was mentioned at all on “PTI.” He is as anonymous there as he is walking down Michigan Avenue.

“Doesn’t that guy look familiar ... didn’t he fix our toilet last week?”

Buehrle might prefer it this way. He is pretty low-key, not unlike Maddux. Then before anybody realizes it, each records double-figure victories and usually finishes with closer to 20 than 10.

Hopefully for the Sox, Buehrle’s foot isn’t as badly hurt as first diagnosed and he won’t be out as long as first feared. If that’s the case, it could turn out to be a positive.

Maybe then when Buehrle pitches again, the masses won’t take him for granted, like he was while throwing a league-high 245º innings last year.

Mark Buehrle should be appreciated at least as much as less successful pitchers around baseball and around town.

"Mark Buehrle should be appreciated at least as much as less successful pitchers around baseball and around town."

If Mark still starts on Opening Day, I will be in Section 160 giving him a standing ovation when he starts his warmups :headbang :gosox1:

That video of KW as CSN reporter is the shiot!!!!!

KW: All these guys kinda wanna know, whdayou, what do you really feel? What are the odds that you're gonna be alright? What do you really feel? Give us the real real feeling deep down in your gut!"

MB: "Well, considering I can stand on it and walk on it and I couldn't do it yesterday, it's 120%."

KW: "Is there such a thing?"

MB: "I dunno. They always say 110% so I just added a little bit on."

Miscellaneous reporter: "What is your opinion of the General Manager?"

KW: That's - That'll be all.....That'll be all we have today from White Sox HQ in Tuscon. Over and out."

Edited by SoxFan1

Mike Imrem of the Daily Herald:

Buehrle has been one of baseball’s most unspectacularly outstanding players the past few years, quietly becoming a No. 1 pitcher if not an actual ace.

For those not paying attention over the last 4 yrs & crunched the numbers:

83 Mulder, Mark

***** TRUE ACE CUTOFF MARK *****

71 Maddux, Greg

69 Buehrle, Mark

69 Garcia, Freddy

65 Wood, Kerry

26 Prior, Mark

Based on assign pt values to the top 30 NPERA rankings each year.

Mark was a step below Maddux in performance. Considering Mark plays home to the Cell, & Maddux split time between Turner & Wrigley I place Mark higher than Maddux on this list. Still several notches from a true ace over that time but clearly several notches ahead of Wood.

Prior is too green & has accomplished to little to even be considered.

Garcia benefited from Safeco to get that high so I don't consider him on par with Marky B.

This is the official update of Mark's injury as of 12:00 p.m. Tuesday, March 22, 2005.

It appears that yesterday's reports of a injury lasting anywhere from 4-6 weeks were way off. Now, it is expected that Mark will miss only one SPRING TRAINING start and will throw a bullpen session either torday or tomorrow. Obviously, this mean he could be back in time for opening day. Wow.

Per ESPN Radio NATIONAL sportcenter.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
This is the official update of Mark's injury as of 12:00 p.m. Tuesday, March 22, 2005.

It appears that yesterday's reports of a injury lasting anywhere from 4-6 weeks were way off.  Now, it is expected that Mark will miss only one SPRING TRAINING start and will throw a bullpen session either torday or tomorrow.  Obviously, this mean he could be back in time for opening day.  Wow.

Per ESPN Radio NATIONAL sportcenter

Woah.. no way. :rolly

Looks like we'll see Mark B. on Opening Day, great news. Love it.

Assuming this continues to go well, all they need to do is figure out the last bullpen spot, sort out the utility IF situation, and come north.

Interesting snippet from this morning though ... Levine was on AM 1000, he said not to be shocked if either Contreras or Hernandez comes up with a mysterious/phantom injury, thereby making a spot for Brandon McCarthy in the starting rotation for the time being.

Sounds goofy to me, and it is Bruce Levine, and he was simply speculating. But he definitely wasn't kidding, he said the Sox are intent on taking their best pitchers north and will not have much patience for veterans who aren't ready to go.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 06:20 PM)
Looks like we'll see Mark B. on Opening Day, great news.  Love it.

Assuming this continues to go well, all they need to do is figure out the last bullpen spot, sort out the utility IF situation, and come north.

Interesting snippet from this morning though ... Levine was on AM 1000, he said not to be shocked if either Contreras or Hernandez comes up with a mysterious/phantom injury, thereby making a spot for Brandon McCarthy in the starting rotation for the time being.

Sounds goofy to me, and it is Bruce Levine, and he was simply speculating. But he definitely wasn't kidding, he said the Sox are intent on taking their best pitchers north and will not have much patience for veterans who aren't ready to go.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

I'm not 100% sure, but isn't MLB pretty strict about DL stints? It's not like NBA where there are "wink wink" injuries, but I think MLB makes the clubs back the injuries up and doesn't allow teams to play games.

Thanks so much for that link to the Comcast video. Living in New York I can't see great stuff like this.

God I love this guy, and KW has real charisma. I hope the chemistry I see from that short video translates to the diamond, because if these guys can stick together like this in spring training, they'll be a unified monster come Opening Day!

And Mike Imrem is my new hero. What a great article!

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
You don't see it as much but it's hard to prove tendonitis or a hamstring tweak. I have a hard time imagining either player going along with it. It seems farfetched and would be sad that we'd have to sit one of two pitchers who combine to make around $14 million yearly.

I agree, they may have not been the greatest in ST, but Hernadez pitched well in his starts for NY last year and Contreras pitched well at the Cell last year. I would like to see how those two do in the regular season and let B-Mac have a consistent schedule down in the minors in case somebody really gets hurt

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
Chill Steff.  Believe it or not, others can come up with factual Sox nuggets as well.

This was the most recent update and it merited some serious consideration.

goof. :headshake

Uhh... yea.. right back atcha.

And there was no need to call me a goof. :stick

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...ort=MLB&id=6525

Latest News  Mar. 22, 2005 - 9:21 pm et

After playing catch for 10 minutes today, Mark Buehrle said he didn't even think it was necessary that he skip one start because of his foot injury.

Buehrle won't pitch Thursday, but it looks like he will be ready for Opening Day. ''Just maybe on Opening Day I might have to go one less inning than I originally wanted,'' he said.

Source:  whitesox.mlb.com

:headbang :headbang :headbang

Edited by Jabroni

I agree, they may have not been the greatest in ST, but Hernadez pitched well in his starts for NY last year and Contreras pitched well at the Cell last year.  I would like to see how those two do in the regular season and let B-Mac have a consistent schedule down in the minors in case somebody really gets hurt

I agree. Hernandez makes no sense. Williams raves about his health & he's looked pretty strong in ST & yet he comes down with an ailment? Not believable.

Contreras on the other hand as looked pretty bad in ST & it would be more believable that something was wrong with him.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
I agree.  Hernandez makes no sense.  Williams raves about his health & he's looked pretty strong in ST & yet he comes down with an ailment?  Not believable.

But then again:

1) El Duque has had previous injuries

2) Look what happened to Buehrle....good health, pitching well.....