Buerhle Injury Update

quickman

Well, I'm going to go into panic mode over the MRI being inconclusive. It seems there was an injury of some sort, and in my layman's opinion, I think a break is better than not knowing. If it was a break he would heal up and come back, but anything else can linger.

I guess we will get a better answer at about 6:00. Hopefully it's good news, but I'm not thrilled that the new MRI gave no answers.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what I was told..

Mark is fine and it's been a tab bit exaggerated. Small stress fracture (which I guess is not really a "real" fracture but a "bend" of the bone and not really a "crack" in the bone :huh ) of the bone that joins the top of the foot to the toe. Little bit of discomfort, but he's walking fine today and it's not even swollen. Having more tests. From the look and feel of it today, doesn't look/feel at all serious. What happened... Mark was out catching balls and he just went to move to scoop up a ball and his foot kind of went sideways and he heard a little snap. Initially thought it was just dislocated because it swelled immediately and he literally could not put any pressure on it (which sounds like where they (reporters) got the torn ligament assumption - and is in line with what I heard last night). So.. sounds like he's going to be fine.

If you are right about this, you surly are DOABLE!!! :wub:

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)

Mark is fine and it's been a tab bit exaggerated. Small stress fracture (which I guess is not really a "real" fracture but a "bend" of the bone and not really a "crack" in the bone  :huh ) of the bone that joins the top of the foot to the toe. Little bit of discomfort, but he's walking fine today and it's not even swollen. Having more tests. From the look and feel of it today, doesn't look/feel at all serious. What happened... Mark was out catching balls and he just went to move to scoop up a ball and his foot kind of went sideways and he heard a little snap. Initially thought it was just dislocated because it swelled immediately and he literally could not put any pressure on it (which sounds like where they (reporters) got the torn ligament assumption - and is in line with what I heard last night). So.. sounds like he's going to be fine.

Mark is fine and it's been a tab bit exaggerated. Small stress fracture (which I guess is not really a "real" fracture but a "bend" of the bone and not really a "crack" in the bone  :huh ) of the bone that joins the top of the foot to the toe. Little bit of discomfort, but he's walking fine today and it's not even swollen. Having more tests. From the look and feel of it today, doesn't look/feel at all serious. What happened... Mark was out catching balls and he just went to move to scoop up a ball and his foot kind of went sideways and he heard a little snap. Initially thought it was just dislocated because it swelled immediately and he literally could not put any pressure on it (which sounds like where they (reporters) got the torn ligament assumption - and is in line with what I heard last night). So.. sounds like he's going to be fine.

My girlfriend had a similar injury a couple weeks ago. She had a heavy file cabinet dropped on her baby toe. It's been two weeks since it happened and it's still sore but she says it's getting better.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 11:07 PM)
even if CT Scans show that there is no break i wouldnt mind if he sat out a start or 2 just to make sure a break doesnt happen.

I agree 100%, MB is not a power pitcher who needs to build up a ton of arm strength, he can miss a start or two and be basically ready to jump in the rotation. Better be safe than sorry at this point

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
So it sounds like he could probably be ready for opening day but that may be cutting it close.  He may miss a start or two.

From what I understand.. one person involved doesn't think he should miss any time... :ph34r:

White Sox | Broken or Not? - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:07:14 -0800

Contradicting an earlier report, the Associated Press reports Chicago White Sox SP Mark Buehrle (foot) is scheduled to have a CT scan on his left foot to see if there's a break in it after an MRI was inconclusive. After going home and taking a nap Sunday, Buehrle awoke with soreness in his foot and was barely able to walk, according to Chicago head trainer Herm Schneider. He did not have a limp when he arrived at camp Monday.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)

It couldn't have been "just a dislocation," In order to dislocate he would have has to injury many ligaments and the capsule as well. Hopefully it was just a "jam" or capsulitis and the snap he heard were just the tendons rolling over.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
yeah as bad as it is that Buehrle has got injured... especially him of all our starters im kind of excited to get a chance to see B-Mac face some major league competition that would be kind of cool.

I am somewhat against this just for the sheer fact that if McCarthy gets bombed at the ML level it could damage his confidence, something that could effect him for a while.

He needs to be pitching at AAA, but I guess the circumstances will dictate otherwise.

Cooper is on ESPN and says Buehrle feels much better. If he felt that way yesterday he wouldn't have gone to the trainer. The tests from all the doctors are not in yet but if he can throw a side on the 29th he'll start opening day.

im pretty damn sure that mark will be 100 % by the time that the season starts... if he dosent open on april 4th, it will just be out of a precautionary state of mind... i dont see him missing any more then one start

then again, im being optimistic

QUOTE(hi8is @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
im pretty damn sure that mark will be 100 % by the time that the season starts... if he dosent open on april 4th, it will just be out of a precautionary state of mind... i dont see him missing any more then one start

then again, im being optimistic

And I hope you're right.......

Just heard this horrible news on ABC. To what I heard, they said Buehrle might be out for 2 to 4 weeks.

I don’t want Buehrle to be rushed. He still has the possibility of winning 16 games for us when he comes back or losing 16 games if he gets rushed.

Brandon McCarthy has looked very good in Spring Training and I am not against him being in our rotation. If he does get to pitch in the rotation than I can see him pitching better than Contreras and Garland. I just hope he doesn’t have any bad luck if he does pitch up here.

yoda: there is a lot of speculation going around, that is about it... most media sources are just specuating he has a break... which dosent seem to be the case from what don cooper and herm said today... it looks as if he might even be ok

we'll know more tomarrow PM after a CT scan