Buerhle Injury Update

quickman

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
With all the hand wringing going on about BMac, I thought I'd make a couple of points.  All we've heard out of Arizona is that BMac is ready.  That has come from Ozzie, from scouts, from opposing managers, from the hitters.  Also, they aren't going to be jacking BMac around like they did with the 5th starters last year.  He won't be pitching on 2 days rest, oe on 10 days rest.  They'll put him in the rotation and let him take his turn. I'm excited Brandon's getting the opportunity and I believe he'll succeed.

Excellent points. One constant is he's going to be under some extra pressure because he is replacing Buehrle. When was the last time we brought up a starter who wasn't immediately under fire?

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quade36 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Oh, and sorry to say they Sox are NOT a long shot to win the division.  Whoever believes that probably believes the Tigers actually can win.

Odds from the web site I use.

2005 American League Central Champion

Chicago White Sox 5-1

Cleveland Indians 5-2

Detroit Tigers 6-1

Kansas City Royals 30-1

Minnesota Twins 2-3

This puts 2 teams with better odds to win, while maybe not the longshot, def. not a favorite.

Another positive is that Buehrle has had too many innings the last few years so if he misses a few starts coupled with Ozzie's new alleged policy-maybe Mark won't have to hang 250 innings up there again. I worry about BMac because he has pitched great trying to put pressure on KW while having none on himself. Now all the eyes of Chicago are on him so I hope he can still continue to perform well. If Buehrle misses much time, I feel our chances are severely hurt. Maybe he won't miss too much. I don't think though that optimism of his departure over his previously poor Aprils is justified because perhaps his bad April will become a bad May since that would be his first month. That said, last year's April was probably just an aberration. Let's keep our fingers crossed for better news and less swelling

Who is this guy and why is he on a Sox thread if he bashes the Sox all the time????

Oh, and sorry to say they Sox are NOT a long shot to win the division.  Whoever believes that probably believes the Tigers actually can win.

Sherlock, I'm one of the most optimistic people on this board. But I'm not going to put blinders on. In comparison to the Twins we are long shots. In comparison to CLE, & DET I give us the edge. Mays is looking very good for the Twins right now & that makes the best rotation in the ALC much better. They have the edge on us in rotation, pen, & OF. We have the edge in the IF but two holes of our own at 2B, 3B. I would say that makes us a long shot to overtake them now that we've lost road starts from Mark vs MIN, CLE, & OAK.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)

Chicago White Sox 5-1   

Cleveland Indians 5-2   

Detroit Tigers 6-1   

Kansas City Royals 30-1   

Minnesota Twins 2-3

This puts 2 teams with better odds to win, while maybe not the longshot, def. not a favorite.

That's Vegas odds, and they suck. All that is, is a popularity contest. The odds can be driven by a bunch of dopes who bet on teams who have no chance. The Cubs odds used to be insane just based on the idiots who put their money down because "this is the year" even when they were losing 100 games.

im sure we'l;l get some more news in about ohhhhh 22 mintues, when the game starts its pregame roll on comcast.

i think this might be a blessing in discuise

1) i think MB will be ok to start the season 2 weeks late

2) i think Bmac might get a chance to start

This team has avg'd 48W at home since 2000. Not much of a fluctuation there. The range has been 51W-47W. They've proven they can win at home w or w/out good starts. This team has been awful on the road the past 4 yrs. Avg'g 36W on the road (lowest 34W).

Apr: 11G @ Cell, 14G on road. We could really use Mark for the series in OAK but I'm thankful to the sched makers it represents the end of a road trip.

My hope lies in opening the season at home. We are 2 wks away from the opener & feels like it's 27 deg outside. I don't see it suddenly feeling like 70 deg. I think this favors the ChiSox early on. With the air being heavier it should cut down the HR's. That should really help Garcia & Hernandez.

Catch some momentum at home & maybe they'll play better on the road.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 03:30 PM)
So worst case scenario is, he's back in the rotation about May 10th, factoring in a rehab start or two.

Sticking with a 5 man rotation would mean the Sox need a guy to make 6 starts while Buehrle is out.

Six starts is a lot for a fill in guy and I doubt they want to pull somebody from the bullpen ... it appears they like the way the bullpen is set up.

Again, sticking with a 5 man gives the #5 guy a start vs. Minnesota, Seattle, Detroit, Oakland, Detroit again, and Toronto.

It comes down to:

- Brandon McCarthy

- A guy like Adkins or Hermanson

- Someone from outside the organization

Unless they can swing a good trade and get a decent depth guy in here cheap, it's hard to see a better option than McCarthy.  Again, assuming the longest timetable for Buehrle being out.

Good post, Jim.

It comes down to, who does the organization feels gives them the best chance at winning?

I certainly have the most confidence in B-Mac -- and while I was one of the advocates about him starting at AA to hone his skills, and keep him down there for awhile so the arbitration clock wouldn't start, he's clearly the best option we have.

I'm a Felix Diaz fan as much as anybody here, but no one here can honestly tell me they'd feel more comfortable with him or Hermy or Adkins starting. I have my doubts, but he's above and beyond anyone else we have available...

Official release from whitesox.com

But the simple scenario of shagging fly balls on Sunday might sideline the White Sox ace for the next four to six weeks. The left-hander, who turns 26 on Wednesday, felt a pop in his left foot and reportedly suffered a hairline fracture of the fourth metatarsal, which would put him out of action for four to six weeks.

That prognosis was met with much more optimism Monday morning. Manager Ozzie Guillen said that while Buehrle could barely walk on Sunday, he already had some range of motion in less than a 24-hour period. Guillen also deferred to athletic trainer Herm Schneider, who was working with Buehrle on Monday morning.

A bone scan was being taken to gauge the damage done to Buehrle's left foot. If the worst-case situation plays out, then Guillen said rookie phenom Brandon McCarthy would step into the starting rotation.

McCarthy, 21, has allowed one earned run over 15 1/3 innings in Cactus League starts against Arizona, Texas and twice against the Los Angeles Angels. The big right-hander had heard the news concerning Buehrle long before arriving at the park Monday but still seemed stunned by the injury.

As of Monday morning, the length of absence for the American League leader in innings pitched from 2004 was not yet known. McCarthy, whose next start is Friday against Milwaukee, won't change his preparation, even with the specter of the Major Leagues hanging over him.

Guillen wasn't sure where McCarthy would fit in the rotation. Freddy Garcia would move up to Opening Day against Cleveland, and there's a chance McCarthy could pitch the second game at U.S. Cellular Field, to avoid him starting during the first road series in Minnesota.

well, looks like BMAC is definatly in the rotation and ozzie is gonna use him at #2 for the first week so he doesnt have to pitch at Minnesota to start off his Major league career....this might be a blessing in disguise.....i guess we will all have to wait a few weeks and see

Minnesota Twins 2-3

Cleveland Indians 5-2   

Chicago White Sox 5-1   

Detroit Tigers 6-1   

Kansas City Royals 30-1   

Pos-AS 04: MIN 45W, 30L

Pos-AS 04: CHI 37W, 41L

Pos-AS 04: CLE 38W, 37L

Pos-AS 04: DET 30W, 45L

That makes every one chasing MIN a long shot, but I don't think it warrants all the CLE joy these analysts are spouting. They were at FULL STRENGTH & managed 1 more win than us the 2nd 1/2. We were anything but full strength.

In my opinion the Twins have more reason to look forward to Mays in their rotation than the Tribe does with Milwood. Milwood was healthy & got hit hard at home & in some places on the road. Why should I believe he's going to return to form in 05 when he's clearly pitching in a tougher hitting league? It's been a tougher hitting league for about 5 yrs now. There's no reason to believe that Milwood is going to be a 15 gm winner for the Tribe. For Min, a healthy J Mays is capable of 15 wins.

Looking at the CLE ST numbers,

Boone isn't lighting it up. His 333A looks ok, but he only has 13TB, & 6RBI. Jeff Liefer has 20TB, & 8RBI.

K Millwood 11.25ERA, 4.0IP. Contreras & Garland look better. Why isn't he pitching more?

IMHO, Chicago White Sox 5-2, Cleveland Indians 5-1.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
Pos-AS 04: MIN 45W, 30L

Pos-AS 04: CHI 37W, 41L

Pos-AS 04: CLE 38W, 37L

Pos-AS 04: DET 30W, 45L

That makes every one chasing MIN a long shot, but I don't think it warrants all the CLE joy these analysts are spouting.  They were at FULL STRENGTH & managed 1 more win than us the 2nd 1/2.  We were anything but full strength.

In my opinion the Twins have more reason to look forward to Mays in their rotation than the Tribe does with Milwood.  Milwood was healthy & got hit hard at home & in some places on the road.  Why should I believe he's going to return to form in 05 when he's clearly pitching in a tougher hitting league?  It's been a tougher hitting league for about 5 yrs now.  There's no reason to believe that Milwood is going to be a 15 gm winner for the Tribe. For Min, a healthy J Mays is capable of 15 wins.

Looking at the CLE ST numbers,

Boone isn't lighting it up.  His 333A looks ok, but he only has 13TB, & 6RBI.  Jeff Liefer has 20TB, & 8RBI. 

K Millwood    11.25ERA, 4.0IP.  Contreras & Garland look better.  Why isn't he pitching more?

IMHO, Chicago White Sox 5-2, Cleveland Indians 5-1.

herm schneider said buehrle felt 100% better today than he did yesterday and that there might be a fracture in the 4th toe, but down in the foot portion, not at the toe. he sounded better than what i was assuming, but im still guessin hell be out for a while

Official release from whitesox.com

well, looks like BMAC is definatly in the rotation and ozzie is gonna use him at #2 for the first week so he doesnt have to pitch at Minnesota to start off his Major league career....this might be a blessing in disguise.....i guess we will all have to wait a few weeks and see

BMac vs Milly @ the Cell. I like his chances. Millwood looks bad this spring.

If it's Lee, or Davis (the over 5ERA club) I like his chances even better.

All I'm asking of BMac from here on out is to pitch competively enough to avoid the loss.

As long as he can avoid more than 2 losses a month I think he'll be fine.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
That's Vegas odds, and they suck.  All that is, is a popularity contest.  The odds can be driven by a bunch of dopes who bet on teams who have no chance.  The Cubs odds used to be insane just based on the idiots who put their money down because "this is the year" even when they were losing 100 games.

Well, is that not how a long shot is defined? What are we supposed to go by the baseball "experts" who are picking us 3rd also? Same scenario.

Just heard the news. I want to kill myself. The only thing that's keeping me from the ledge is B-Mac. If this was any other season, I would think we were dead ducks. Finally, it appears that we have someone to fill in for him. It looks like B-Mac gets his wish and will be in the rotation to start the season.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Well, is that not how a long shot is defined?  What are we supposed to go by the baseball "experts" who are picking us 3rd also?  Same scenario.

I would tend to believe what the "experts" say way more than the influence of a bunch of lemmings. Its the same idea that makes it appear that Nsync was a good band because they sold more records than about anyone else.

I broke my foot in the same way a couple years back while playing basketball. I have to say I could play the next week through the pain, and within 3 weeks it felt back to normal. Being that Mark and I are almost the same age, I hope that he feels the same.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Just heard the news.  I want to kill myself.  The only thing that's keeping me from the ledge is B-Mac.  If this was any other season, I would think we were dead ducks.  Finally, it appears that we have someone to fill in for him.  It looks like B-Mac gets his wish and will be in the rotation to start the season.

Please tell me that's dramatic effect. If not, wake up, get over it. It's baseball. Kill yourself? Come on.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
I'll pass on Cotts until he develops more reliable pitches than a short-armed fastball.  Cotts is not the answer, it takes hitters less than one at bat to figure out he will throw that fastball in a pinch, and they will knock it over the centerfield concourse when it happens.

This lands on Bmac, and if not Bmac, Hermanson.

-y2

Then they better get BMac and Hermanson offa that bloody concourse :o

I would tend to believe what the "experts" say way more than the influence of a bunch of lemmings.  Its the same idea that makes it appear that Nsync was a good band because they sold more records than about anyone else.

Or the Flubs are the better team in Chicago because they draw more people to the beer garden.

Young-gun success stories:

Rich Harden (OAK): As a 21 yr old he had 5W-4L & a 4.46ERA in 13GS.

As a 22 yr old he had 11W-7L & a 3.99 in 31GS.

Dontrelle Willis (FLM): As a 21 yr old he went 14W-6L w 3.31ERA in 27 starts.

As a 22 yr old he went 10W-11L w 4.02ERA in 32 starts.

Jack Peavy (SDP): As a 21 yr old he went 6W-7L w 4.52ERA in 17 starts.

As a 22 yr old he went 12W-11L w 4.12ERA in 32 starts.

As a 23 yr old he went 15W-6L w 2.27ERA in 27 starts.

I doubt any of these guys were any more ready to be starters in the MLs than BMac is. Their teams didn't fear what it might do to them & they are reaping the benefits from it. Don't expect greatness in his first starts. Harden demonstrated that (32IP, 4ER) but then followed up with rough starts. If BMac just pitches competitively I think he'll have a very promising future with the ChiSox.

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

The only problem I forsee with bringing up McCarthy is them not using that 5th starter often enough early in the season and he goes to the bullpen where he goes stale. Don't bring him North if he isn't going to get regular starts.