Buerhle Injury Update

quickman

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
If b-mac comes up here for good wouldn't that be awesome that he could potentially be gone when he is 27?

That is why you start the good prospects in the minors at the begining of the year to decrease their service time and you can keep them the extra year.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000 and the results from the CATScan were also inconclusive and that Buerhle may be out of the woods. The only thing that showed up on the scan was a dark shadow that may be a result of an old injury. The new prognosis is that they will rest him for a couple of days and that he may even start to throw again by the end of the week. Edited by hi8is

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
If b-mac comes up here for good wouldn't that be awesome that he could potentially be gone when he is 27?

Yeah, that's one of the unfortunate things about McCarthy being brought up, is the arbitration clock starting.

I suppose it's moot at this point because Ozzie is absolutely dazzled with McCarthy, but if Buehrle is only going to miss one-two starts, I don't think it's a great idea to have him up just for those one-two starts. I dunno, I just think that we should bring Brandon up when there's a chance that he'll get more than a few starts in a row -- seems kind of pointless to get that arbitration rolling, especially for one-two games...

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
On Comcast about 15 minutes, KW was acting as a Comcast reporter and interviewed Buehrle, he said that it went from 4-6 weeks yesterday to day to day today.  That sounds like good news, straight from Buerhle and KW.

Most excellent. Oh and maggsmaggs....nice avatar.

:cheers

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)

Thank you. We don't want a Jeremy Bonderman or Zack Greinke situation on our hands here, which I why I wanted B-Mac to actually spend the whole year in the minors, you've got 5 starting pitchers and if they all perform, there's no need to call B-Mac up.

But things are looking up on the Buerhle perspective. Let's hope it's not a break, the torn ligament seems to be pretty far off now, and hopefully Mark can be back throwing and be ready. If he only has to miss 1 start, well they might as well give it to Cotts or Hermanson because there's really no need to call B-Mac up just for that, especially if he gets bombed like Alex has said.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
Just heard Bruce Levine on ESPN 1000 and the results from the CATScan were also inconclusive and that Buerhle may be out of the woods. The only thing that showed up on the scan was a dark shadow that may be a result of an old injury. The new prognosis is that they will rest him for a couple of days and that he may even start to throw again by the end of the week.

That's fricken awesome.

I wonder what the plan will be if MB will only have to miss 1 or 2 starts to begin the season. It sounds like it's not going to be the 4-6 weeks first reported.

Anyone know if the schedule will allow a 4 man rotation for the first 2 weeks?

I doubt they'll bring B-Mac up for 2 weeks, I imagine if they need a fifth starter they'll have Hermanson or Adkins do it.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 08:38 PM)
I wonder what the plan will be if MB will only have to miss 1 or 2 starts to begin the season.  It sounds like it's not going to be the 4-6 weeks first reported.

Anyone know if the schedule will allow a 4 man rotation for the first 2 weeks?

I doubt they'll bring B-Mac up for 2 weeks, I imagine if they need a fifth starter they'll have Hermanson or Adkins do it.

If he's really day to day and not in any pain like he and KW said tonight, im sure he'd be ready to start opening day.

This from CS.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle is expected to miss at least one spring training start after tests Monday showed he injured his left foot while shagging fly balls last weekend.

White Sox trainer Herm Schneider described the injury as a "stress reaction" but not a fracture.

Buehrle, the team's scheduled opening day starter, underwent an MRI on Monday morning, but when that was inconclusive, he had a CT scan. Buehrle apparently irritated a previous injury he was unaware of.

"Considering I can stand and walk on it, it is 120 percent better. I couldn't do that yesterday," Buehrle said after the White Sox lost 5-4 to Arizona. "I came in today and everything was fine. I couldn't even tell there was anything wrong with my foot."

Both Buehrle and the White Sox initially feared he might miss four to six weeks after getting X-rays.

Buehrle, who is taking anti-inflammatory medicine, will wear a boot and not participate in baseball workouts for the next couple of days.

"We will see how he is tomorrow. If he keeps getting better, then we will let him go," Schneider said. "If everything goes well, he might miss one start and then go back to work."

Buehrle was shagging fly balls Sunday when he heard a pop in his foot. He did not report it to trainers, opting to go home instead. After waking up from a nap, Buehrle said he could hardly walk and came back to the White Sox clubhouse, where X-rays were taken.

He could only miss one SPRING TRAINING start and be back in the rotation? WAAAAAAY different then what I've seen...

Anyone talked about this yet?

This link is from yahoo.com - I ain't posting it because it will be broken in a day, but this is it.

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- Chicago White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle is expected to miss at least one spring training start after tests Monday showed he injured his left foot while shagging fly balls last weekend.

White Sox trainer Herm Schneider described the injury as a ``stress reaction'' but not a fracture.

Buehrle, the team's scheduled opening day starter, underwent an MRI on Monday morning, but when that was inconclusive, he had a CT scan. Buehrle apparently irritated a previous injury he was unaware of.

``Considering I can stand and walk on it, it is 120 percent better. I couldn't do that yesterday,'' Buehrle said after the White Sox lost 5-4 to Arizona. ``I came in today and everything was fine. I couldn't even tell there was anything wrong with my foot.''

Both Buehrle and the White Sox initially feared he might miss four to six weeks after getting X-rays.

Buehrle, who is taking anti-inflammatory medicine, will wear a boot and not participate in baseball workouts for the next couple of days.

``We will see how he is tomorrow. If he keeps getting better, then we will let him go,'' Schneider said. ``If everything goes well, he might miss one start and then go back to work.''

Buehrle was shagging fly balls Sunday when he heard a pop in his foot. He did not report it to trainers, opting to go home instead. After waking up from a nap, Buehrle said he could hardly walk and came back to the White Sox clubhouse, where X-rays were taken.

Buehrle has won at least 14 games in four straight seasons. He was 16-10 with a 3.89 ERA in an AL-leading 245 1-3 innings last year. He threw six perfect innings Saturday against Kansas City and is 3-0 with a 2.41 ERA this spring.

Sorry... I just started a new thread with what was posted above. My bad. But I'm going to leave the thread I started because this leaves the 6 weeks and the ensuing BMac discussion, which is a GREAT discussion, by the way.

For once, I'm proud to say that we have "more pitching" which ain't a bad thing, folks.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
I'd like to see McCarthy standing in for Buerhle, even if it's only for a start or two.  Just to see how he responds to the pressure of being a MLB starter would show how he might respond to greater pressure in the future (the playoffs).

If he's broght up early his arb clock gets started early... He'd likely be eligible for FA following the 2010 season, and you'd get 6 full seasons use out of him.

If he comes up later in the season, we can have him for 3+ years at a near league minumum salary, and 3 more years at arbitration value. He'd likely be eligible for FA following the 2011 season, and you'd get 6 and a half years of service out of him.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 09:05 PM)
If he's broght up early his arb clock gets started early... He'd likely be eligible for FA following the 2010 season, and you'd get 6 full seasons use out of him.

If he comes up later in the season, we can have him for 3+ years at a near league minumum salary, and 3 more years at arbitration value.  He'd likely be eligible for FA following the 2011 season, and you'd get 6 and a half years of service out of him.

Do you have a link to that website that fully explains arbitration? Someone posted it on here but I can't remember who.