Buerhle Injury Update

quickman

I haven't had a chance to read through this entire thread so forgive me if I have questions/comments that have already been posted. I am very upset about this news but I still have high expectations for the season. If I had the choice of losing Buehrle in April or losing him in August I will choose April. This also gives BMac a chance to step in and do some good things for us. If he continues to pitch as well as he has in the spring I have confidence in him. I don't expect him to throw lights out but if he can give us solid starts I don't mind seeing him in there. I guess at this point I'm trying to remain optimistic but I also know that Buehrle is our horse and pretty much the team leader, and thats always a tough thing to lose. Mark seems like the kind of guy who will do everything to make sure his team is focused on things even without him in the lineup, so although he might not be giving us innings I think he'll still hold things down until the foot heals.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
Just heard the news.  I want to kill myself.  The only thing that's keeping me from the ledge is B-Mac.  If this was any other season, I would think we were dead ducks.  Finally, it appears that we have someone to fill in for him.  It looks like B-Mac gets his wish and will be in the rotation to start the season.

Wow... :unsure:

He broke a bone in his foot, it's not like he's having Tommy John surgery or repairing a broken labrum...

It's gonna be alright. Just a few starts....

while they were doing the pregame show for the sox game today, they showed Herm - our trainer, saying that buerhle felt 100% better and it might not be something that will take him out more then 2 or 3 weeks... so he might start the season, might just miss one or two starts

also, they said they would know more for sure later today after they got the results from the second MRI

Thet said on the radio that he was going for a second MRI and bone scan. This means they still aren't sure what is causing the pain, a ligament or a bone. I didn't hear where it was but if it was the great toe then it could mean longer problems. This is the "turf toe" where it hurts every time you push off that foot during walking running or anything else. Since it's his left foot which sits on the rubber, he needs to extend the toe futher. This will take longer to rehab. Let's wait to see the definitive diagnosis (ligament or bone) before any predictions of return to throwing can be made.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
2nd MRI was inconclusive, showed no break.

Will have a CT scan tommorrow.

No limp today, feels much better.

If they are doing a CT scan then bone is what they are looking at, especially if the MRI was inconclusive, not that MRI's are all that accurate anyway.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
So much for Mark winning 20 games this season.  If we can win half the games B-Mac starts, I'll be happy.

Why are you overreacting? They don't even know what the problem is exactly. He might be ready for the first or second series of the season for all we know.

At least this leaves a little room for hope, earlier today he was out 4-6 weeks for sure...if he's feeling better and walking without a limp, perhaps it's just a sprain and he could be back by opening day...a little hope is better than no hope.

-y2

Heh while this really sucks i really wanted to see B-Mac given a shot anyways... even if he sucks i think he is the kind of guy who will just look at it as another challenge to overcome.

As for Buehrle i rather he miss a couple starts and than be 100% than start the opener even if he is 90%... its just not worth it. 2 starts is nothing.

Can anyone, from a medical standpoint, say whether or not it would be "better" for Buehrle to have a broken bone in his toe/foot, or a torn ligament?

I assume the bone would be "better" (meaning he'd be out less time with that than the torn ligament), but can someone say for sure?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
Can anyone, from a medical standpoint, say whether or not it would be "better" for Buehrle to have a broken bone in his toe/foot, or a torn ligament?

I assume the bone would be "better" (meaning he'd be out less time with that than the torn ligament), but can someone say for sure?

It really depends on the ligament injured and how badly "sprained" it is. A fracture is 4-6 weeks. A ligament can be anywhere from 1 week for a mild sprain to 8-10 weeks for a more severe sprain. If he is walking as well as they say he is, then I would guess no more than a month for the very worst case. If the CT reveals a fracture then you are back to the 4-6 week area.

From what I understand it's better to break your foot than tear a ligament.

Although both are bad it seems like a bone will heal faster, and have less long term damage.

(Got this from a nurse I know---named my mom)

True. Torn ligaments are more of a nagging injury to heal. A bone break usually takes a set amount of time to heal.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
True.  Torn ligaments are more of a nagging injury to heal.  A bone break usually takes a set amount of time to heal.

This is usually true for thr typical ankle sprain. However, if it involves the great toe as most people are saying then it is a little different. Mostly due to the amount of swelling that occurs. There is not as much room for the swelling around the toe so the healing is different.

I'm glad he didn't dislocate anything. Dislocations/Tears are way wears than one breaks. You can break a arm, leg, ankle, and have it back to normal in a month. I dislocated both knees in September and am STILL hampered by both.