Borchard to Nationals?

Jabroni

I heard Levine say yesterday the Reds were following Borchard and that Jim Bowden of the Nationals tends to like athletes who haven't yet panned out.

But there was no specific mention of interest by Washington. Washington has a major glut of OF guys anyway.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 07:02 PM)
I for one may be nuts but I think the Sox should just keep Borch. He looks so much more relaxed this year. He should be playing in Charlotte this coming season just so he gets regular playing time.

That is the observation that KW made the other day in the booth as well as Hawk. However I don't take much consideration into what Hawk says because he never rips any Sox player.

One reason Borchard has gotten a longer leash than most is that he does whatever is asked of him and works as hard, if not harder, than anyone in the organization. The guy is a class act, on and off the field, even if he hasn't gotten the results that everyone, including Borchard, expected.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
That is the observation that KW made the other day in the booth as well as Hawk.  However I don't take much consideration into what Hawk says because he never rips any Sox player.

One reason Borchard has gotten a longer leash than most is that he does whatever is asked of him and works as hard, if not harder, than anyone in the organization.  The guy is a class act, on and off the field, even if he hasn't gotten the results that everyone, including Borchard, expected.

Not until they leave anyway... then the knives come out.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
Not until they leave anyway... then the knives come out.

I doubt you'd ever hear Hawk rip Borchard, even if he was traded, just my two cents. I think he geniunely wants to see the guy succeed and I'm pretty sure he likes Borch off the field. The same cannot be said for others who have left the organization. Same goes for KW in this situation.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
Thats thing I hear all the time about Borch total class act and works harder than anyone. It is something a lot of ball players could learn about. It is unfortunate that things thus far haven't worked for Borch but you can see the talent and will are there.

I will reiterate that 100%. If you all had the chance to meet him and talk with him on several occasions like I have, you'd root for this guy regardless of how terrible his play has been on the field. He'll be the first to tell you he's been disappointing, but he's still working extremely hard.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
I doubt you'd ever hear Hawk rip Borchard, even if he was traded, just my two cents.  I think he geniunely wants to see the guy succeed and I'm pretty sure he likes Borch off the field.  The same cannot be said for others who have left the organization.  Same goes for KW in this situation.

He was kissing his ass today talking about how good his spring has been, how nobody can hit them as far as he can, how he went to Stanford, and how Greg Walker is working with him, and yadda yadda yadda.

Naturally Borchard struck out during the at-bat.

I'd hang onto Borchard until he's out of options. As masked as it may be at this point in his career, the guy has hella potential to be a true force in this league. If all the talk about his work ethic are true then you've got to hold out hope that his hard work coupled with the display of patience by the Sox will both payoff big. I don't think his trade value, regardless of the trading partner, is going to get much lower than it is right now....good spring or no good spring.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 06:08 PM)
I doubt you'd ever hear Hawk rip Borchard, even if he was traded, just my two cents.  I think he geniunely wants to see the guy succeed and I'm pretty sure he likes Borch off the field.  The same cannot be said for others who have left the organization.  Same goes for KW in this situation.

I definately wasn't referring to Joe, just Hawks character in general. I have not heard anyone say anything bad about Joe the person, or his work ethic.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
One reason Borchard has gotten a longer leash than most is that he does whatever is asked of him and works as hard, if not harder, than anyone in the organization.  The guy is a class act, on and off the field, even if he hasn't gotten the results that everyone, including Borchard, expected.

Not to mention the 5.3 mil signing bonus the largest in Sox history.

I do however agree with everything else you said.

Well, Bowden seems to be interested in those toolsy OF'ers, as shown for his love for Escobar.

If we can get someone decent from Washington, a nice pitching prospect, I'd go for it -- if not, keep Borchard, and hope he can raise his stock with some nice work in at Charlotte.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
I will reiterate that 100%.  If you all had the chance to meet him and talk with him on several occasions like I have, you'd root for this guy regardless of how terrible his play has been on the field.  He'll be the first to tell you he's been disappointing, but he's still working extremely hard.

I've met with him several times as well, but not to the extent you have of course (fan boy!! :P), but it's time to cut our losses with Borchard. His trade value right now is the highest it's going to be for the rest of career, and he obviously doesn't fit into the Sox's future plans.

He's flat out not producing, and a change of scenery would probably do him good.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Mar 22, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Bowden is interested in Borchard? Christ, trade him to Bowden ASAP! Bowden will overpay on anything, just look at Vinny Castilla and Cristian Guzman.

Jim Bowden :wub: toolsy outfielders, he'll do almost anythin he can to get his hands on one... or two.... or three.

There's been rumors he could give up Zach Day for Wily Mo Pena. And the Mets have been rumored to be interested in having Alex Escobar back as well. But it's probably just speculation, nothing more.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 21, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
A guy at WSI started a thread about this.  I wonder if he heard it on the radio.  Did anyone else hear anything about this rumor?

I have a better idea. Trade him to a team in the Mexican leauge for a bag of corn chips and some salsa.

:D :bang