White Sox @ Brewers Game Thread

SoxFan1

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Borchard can be in the outfield to warm up the other outfielders before the game. Then he can sit down.

Im saying in theory. Its a great notion to think that borchard finally clicks and we can have 3 home grown starters in the OF with speed and good hitting.

Im saying in theory.  Its a great notion to think that borchard finally clicks and we can have 3 home grown starters in the OF with speed and good hitting.

If Borchie could hit .260 AVG / .330 OBP with good power numbers in the majors I would cream in my pants. But I don't see it happening.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
Vizcaino has great stuff but his deep flyball outs scare me.  Some of those will be homers at the Cell.

Pitching in Tucson will make Viz's breaking ball have less movement on it, not to mention the balls fly there, that fly to center looked like a routine fly ball that kept carrying.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
I know but I'm just saying both were old for the minor leagues but always produced, same thing in that respect.

I wonder if age isn't almost always overrated -- at least up until players really start to decline, mid 30s or maybe a touch earlier. The idea seems to be that if someone has played extremely well and not been called, there must be SOMETHING wrong with him. It's not as if there're hidden volumes on these players. I'm just not so quick to discount the possibility of a bad organization, or other reasons -- maybe a vicious cycle of being too old leading to leaving the guy in the minors, making him yet another year older.

I don't know -- anyone seen something that looks at this? I've been thinking about it since all the 'Rogo is too old' stuff at the start of st.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 23, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
I wonder if age isn't almost always overrated -- at least up until players really start to decline, mid 30s or maybe a touch earlier.  The idea seems to be that if someone has played extremely well and not been called, there must be SOMETHING wrong with him.  It's not as if there're hidden volumes on these players.  I'm just not so quick to discount the possibility of a bad organization, or other reasons -- maybe a vicious cycle of being too old leading to leaving the guy in the minors, making him yet another year older.

I don't know -- anyone seen something that looks at this?  I've been thinking about it since all the 'Rogo is too old' stuff at the start of st.

I'm sort of thinking the same thing with Ozuna. Why hasn't a guy with an .800 OPS gotten more than 111 AB's in the majors?

I mean, he certainly hasn't performed well in those 111 AB's, but that's really not enough AB's to make a good judgement on the guy. Attitude problems, perhaps?

I wonder if age isn't almost always overrated -- at least up until players really start to decline, mid 30s or maybe a touch earlier.  The idea seems to be that if someone has played extremely well and not been called, there must be SOMETHING wrong with him.  It's not as if there're hidden volumes on these players.  I'm just not so quick to discount the possibility of a bad organization, or other reasons -- maybe a vicious cycle of being too old leading to leaving the guy in the minors, making him yet another year older.

I don't know -- anyone seen something that looks at this?  I've been thinking about it since all the 'Rogo is too old' stuff at the start of st.

It's probably true. Pablo Ozuna was blocked by Luis Castillo on the Marlins and our very own Juan Uribe on the Rockies. Ross Gload was blocked by Todd Helton as previously stated. After awhile, they never get a chance and are deemed "too old" for the majors.

I'm sort of thinking the same thing with Ozuna.  Why hasn't a guy with an .800 OPS gotten more than 111 AB's in the majors?

I mean, he certainly hasn't performed well in those 111 AB's, but that's really not enough AB's to make a good judgement on the guy.  Attitude problems, perhaps?

I really think Ozuna's problem was when he went from 26 years old to 30 in one day. He lied about his age and no one wants to bring up a 30 year old instead of a 26 year old. They probably figure he has already reached his peak and will be on the decline.

Edited by Jabroni

Marte hits lee. Lee looks at marte funny then starts walking out toward him. He got held back by the umps.

Now what do you think about my comment about Lee's attitude? It's a Spring Training game! We don't need that headcase on our team.

Edited by Jabroni